PDA

View Full Version : best book to fan the flames...

bandit
10-05-2010, 17:13
Summary: what is one book you've read that really made you wish you were out on the trail? Anything stand out as an AT-fever-inducer?

(i really enjoyed bryson's book, and "a journey north" but haven't read any others)
---------------------------------------------
Long form:

Hey all,

I have a friend who is considering doing the trail. She's the toughest gal I know, and would be the best trail partner anyone could ask for. If it were up to her she would be packing as we speak, but there are some obstacles to thru-hiking that she needs to figure out.

Recently she divulged that me egging her on to start this spring was a GOOD thing - that this might help her work her hardest to surmount those obstacles.

For her birthday I want to send her an AT book - a personal account from someone - that would encourage her even more. So, what is one book you've read that really made you wish you were out on the trail? Anything stand out as an AT-fever-inducer?

If we can get her to come hike this spring, whether for a week, a month, or six, everyone that meets her will be the better for it. So, give me some ideas! :D

bandit

PS. I'm hoping that this encouragement (with her blessing) doesn't end up creating scars if it falls through for her..

Pedaling Fool
10-05-2010, 17:16
http://modelt.homestead.com/Our_Products.html

bandit
10-06-2010, 03:00
thanks, these books look fantastic. bought and bought.

perrito
10-06-2010, 08:06
Out of the 20 or so that I've read, AWOL's account (http://www.amazon.com/Appalachian-Trail-Updated-David-Miller/dp/1935597191/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1286364817&sr=8-2) is my favorite. Amazon's reviewers seem to like it too.

Spokes
10-06-2010, 08:32
Here's an Amazon link (http://www.amazon.com/Walkin-Ghost-Whisperers-Legends-Appalachian/dp/1599263777/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1286368088&sr=8-1) to J.R. Tate's "Walkin' with the Ghost Whisperers" that gives a description and some review comments.

Trailbender
10-06-2010, 08:45
Not an AT book, but "Pillars of the Earth", by Ken Follett is one of the best novels I have ever read. I carry a copy sometimes when I hike. It is a really thick book, but worth it.

4eyedbuzzard
10-06-2010, 08:47
Not an AT book, but "Pillars of the Earth", by Ken Follett is one of the best novels I have ever read. I carry a copy sometimes when I hike. It is a really thick book, but worth it.

"The small boys came early to the hanging. . ."

Great story.

Carbo
10-06-2010, 08:56
"Walking Home" by Kelly Winters. Gives a women's perspective of a solo thru-hike. Interesting story line and very good reading.

perrito
10-06-2010, 10:06
This book is in my top 5 books of all time. And I read a lot. But at over 1000 pages, not very trail-friendly! I'd rip it into quarters. :D

Spokes
10-06-2010, 10:13
Well since we're expanding here....

By far, the funniest hiking book I ever read was "The Cactus Eaters: How I Lost My Mind and Almost Found Myself on the Pacific Crest Trail" (http://www.amazon.com/Cactus-Eaters-Mindand-Myselfon-Pacific/dp/0061376930) by Dan White.

Red Hat
10-06-2010, 10:20
Bluebird's "Footpath My Ass" was a hoot. It's her journal and she tells all like it is.
I also enjoyed Windtalker and Mom's new book about the spiritual aspects of the trail. It includes both Christian and Native American views. Sorry, I'm not home and don't have the title with me...

YohonPetro
10-06-2010, 11:07
Barefoot Sisters - Northbound
Barefoot Sisters - Walking Home

I could not put either of these books down - so much so that when I went to B&N and they didn't have 'Walking Home' in stock I did what I swore I'd never do: download the Kindle app on my phone and read the eBook! Totally engrossing. :sun

10-K
10-06-2010, 13:54
Hiking the Appalachian Trail Volume 1...

Big, hardcover book with accounts from some of the first people to hike the trail. Volume 2 is pretty good but I particularly like to read the old school stories.

Luddite
10-06-2010, 14:28
I've only read Bryson's book, AWOL's book, whiteblaze fever, and that Jan Curran one. The only one I liked was Bill Bryson's. Books that make me wanna be on the trail: A Vagabond for beauty by W.L. Rusho and the Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac, of course.

"The Cactus Eaters: How I Lost My Mind and Almost Found Myself on the Pacific Crest Trail" (http://www.amazon.com/Cactus-Eaters-Mindand-Myselfon-Pacific/dp/0061376930) by Dan White.

Haha I love that title.

sixhusbands
10-06-2010, 14:55
Blind Courage , The story of Bill Irwin who was blind and hiked the entire trail. This book inspires me every time I think a section of the trail is too tough or the rainy weather gets me down.

Trailbender
10-06-2010, 15:38
This book is in my top 5 books of all time. And I read a lot. But at over 1000 pages, not very trail-friendly! I'd rip it into quarters. :D

I actually got a copy of Isaac Asimov's "The Foundation Trilogy" in Palmerton, PA. I carried it until I finished somewhere in Vermont, ripping off sections as I finished.

Mismatch
10-06-2010, 15:47
Barefoot Sisters - Northbound
Barefoot Sisters - Walking Home

I could not put either of these books down - so much so that when I went to B&N and they didn't have 'Walking Home' in stock I did what I swore I'd never do: download the Kindle app on my phone and read the eBook! Totally engrossing. :sun

My favorites. My mom and my sister were a little iffy about me wanting to hike the trail but after reading this they all but wanted to come along

mweinstone
10-06-2010, 16:00
sorry winton. and rick.
there are only two AT books.

a womans journey by cindy ross.

and walking with spring. by eral shaffer.

all others are irrelevent.

cindy and earl rule the known bookospheere.

jester has permission to disagree.

no one else.

mweinstone
10-06-2010, 16:05
if i wrote a book about my trail, it would be called "the trail i love, the city i hate" and would be imbibed with bug spray so while your reading it ontrail you wouldnt use the book as a swatter.

Dogwood
10-06-2010, 16:48
Ed Abbey, John Kerouac, Bill Bryson, Richard Louv, Dan White, tales of Earl Schaffer, or Bill Erwin, quotes by John Muir, Chief Joseph, etc, all inspire me to be hiking SOMEWHERE.

Dan's White's book might ignite some sparks between you and your friend. Abbey and Louv will get you to appreciate the wilderness by hiking to it. Kerouac, and tales of Schaffer and Erwin will encourage you to press ahead despite seemingly insurmountable obstacles.

I think it GREAT you wish to inspire your friend into possibly hiking with you by giving her a book for her birthday that encourages her to hike. Many of us would like to have another friend like you. You sound like you really thrive in your relationship with your friend.

Take this as coming from someone who normally solo hikes, so don't take this the wrong way, but IMO I find it BEST that each individual thru-hiker have their own reasons for thru-hiking INDEPENDENTLY of whether not someone else in their party decides not to originally hike or at some pt decides to drop out of the hike! I mention this because in your OP you state, "she would be the best trail partner anyone could ask for." Unless, you have thru-hiked with her before you REALLY don't know that for sure! I'll venture to guess that you are going to learn and accept some "NEW THINGS" about your "best trail partner" if you elect to hike together! Just saying! You also mention, "there are some obstacles to thru-hiking that she needs to figure out first." Obviously, her ability to thru-hike is dependent on resolving those issues. IMO, it sounds like you should realize her situation is different than yours, UPFRONT! Your thru-hike should not hinge upon her ability/inability to thru-hike with you!

Luddite
10-06-2010, 17:21
I second Ed Abbey. Desert Solitaire, The monkey Wrench Gang, and The Fool's Progress.

DaveSail
10-06-2010, 17:31
http://www.campmor.com/the-barefoot-sisters-walking-home-adventures-appalachian-trail-1.shtml

http://www.barefoothikers.org/barefoot-sisters.html

http://www.amazon.com/Barefoot-Sisters-Southbound-Lucy-Letcher/dp/0811735303

http://www.bookrags.com/She_Walks_in_Beauty

bandit
10-07-2010, 02:23
Take this as coming from someone who normally solo hikes, so don't take this the wrong way, but IMO I find it BEST that each individual thru-hiker have their own reasons for thru-hiking INDEPENDENTLY of whether not someone else in their party decides not to originally hike or at some pt decides to drop out of the hike! I mention this because in your OP you state, "she would be the best trail partner anyone could ask for." Unless, you have thru-hiked with her before you REALLY don't know that for sure! I'll venture to guess that you are going to learn and accept some "NEW THINGS" about your "best trail partner" if you elect to hike together! Just saying! You also mention, "there are some obstacles to thru-hiking that she needs to figure out first." Obviously, her ability to thru-hike is dependent on resolving those issues. IMO, it sounds like you should realize her situation is different than yours, UPFRONT! Your thru-hike should not hinge upon her ability/inability to thru-hike with you!

dogwood, thanks for your input, i appreciate it. you definitely make good points about how it's hard to tell that she really WOULD be a good trail partner without having thru-hiked with her before.

the details i left out were these: i'll definitely be out there this spring, solo or not. and her main obstacles are financial burdens - mortgage, etc - that she can't get rid of. so, hopefully it will somehow work out. but if not, you're right, i need to keep in mind that it wouldn't be the end of the world (or my thru hike)

thanks everyone for the great suggestions! i can't wait to pick up more of these books..

Red Hat
10-07-2010, 09:12
sorry winton. and rick.
there are only two AT books.

a womans journey by cindy ross.

and walking with spring. by eral shaffer.

all others are irrelevent.

cindy and earl rule the known bookospheere.

jester has permission to disagree.

no one else.

Matty, this is your most coherant post ever!

Kerosene
10-07-2010, 09:36
Matty, this is your most coherant post ever!Notice she said "coherant", not coherent! ;)

jethro
10-07-2010, 13:55
In Beauty May She Walk by Leslie Mass is a good one.

I actually got a copy of Isaac Asimov's "The Foundation Trilogy" in Palmerton, PA. I carried it until I finished somewhere in Vermont, ripping off sections as I finished.

You have excellent taste in books! :)

Many Walks
10-07-2010, 15:03
"Always Another Mountain" by Danie Martin is a realistic account of a woman's hike.

sheepdog
10-07-2010, 15:15

springerfever
10-07-2010, 18:35
This is my favorite.......facinating stories before the AT became so popular. I have quite a collection of AT books and this set is amazing. These were the AT pioneers.This listing has a decent set at a great price and media shipping. Hard to beat, and no...I am not the seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hiking-Appalachian-Trail-James-R-Hare-2-vol-/200527728867?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item2eb06250e3