PDA

View Full Version : Side Trail to Long Creek Falls

homer_at
10-05-2010, 19:41
We are planning on hiking the southern section of the AT near Long Creek, Hawk mtn etc. Others on this forum have advised folks detour and see Long Creek Falls and mentioned a side trail.

How long is the side trail? My old guidebook does not mention the distance.

It does not look like it could be far, but you never know. We are old and slow and need to budget our energy.

thanks
homer_at

Freedom Walker
10-05-2010, 19:50
Hey Homer
I was there about 12 days ago and it didnt take long to get there. It was worth the extra walking. Are planning to stay at Hawk Mt shelter? I ask that because if you are starting at Springer in the morning, there will be plenty of time to get to Hawk MT. Take your time and enjoy. James

rcli4
10-05-2010, 19:53
We are planning on hiking the southern section of the AT near Long Creek, Hawk mtn etc. Others on this forum have advised folks detour and see Long Creek Falls and mentioned a side trail.

How long is the side trail? My old guidebook does not mention the distance.

It does not look like it could be far, but you never know. We are old and slow and need to budget our energy.

thanks
homer_at

I would guess 1-2 hundred yards

Skidsteer
10-05-2010, 20:03
I would guess 1-2 hundred yards

Yep. If you listen, you can hear it from the trail.

bigcranky
10-05-2010, 20:10
A couple hundred yards. 3 minutes walking. Well worth it.

Praha4
10-05-2010, 23:03
yes, its just a couple hundred yards, and it is a clearly marked blue blaze trail. well worth the view, I recall seeing flecks of gold dust in the water just downstream from the falls too, at least it looked like gold to me

homer_at
10-06-2010, 06:24
Thanks to all that replied. The info and advice on this forum are great!
homer_at

daddytwosticks
10-06-2010, 07:25
Beautiful short side trip. It may not be as dramatic because of the time of year (dry), but definitely worth it. :)

SGT Rock
10-06-2010, 07:36
Nice campsite over near it too.