PDA

View Full Version : AT Guide Book

haleswd
10-06-2010, 07:29
There are so many guides and maps out there to choose from. Some trash and some great. I need recommendations for a good guidebook for the AT. A friend of mine got this one - The A.T Guide (http://www.amazon.com/T-Guide-David-Miller/dp/097970815X/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1)

Any comments.

SGT Rock
10-06-2010, 07:36
That one is my favorite. It is laid out very well and presents the information better than some of the other guides IMO. Some of the others have more information, but it is like reading a long paragraph to find where the laundromat might be, but the AT guide makes each service easy to find by type and the maps are better than the others (except maybe the Companion which borrows some maps from the AT guide).

The terrain profile is also very handy the way it is laid out:

http://www.theatguide.com/

Don H
10-06-2010, 07:56
Another vote for AWOL's book, the AT Guide. I have the 2010 Northbound edition now and will probably update to the 2011 edition when it comes out in preparation for a thru attempt next year.

Spokes
10-06-2010, 08:02
Apples and oranges........ Sorta like asking what dictionary is best.

I used the Thru Hiker's Handbook (http://www.trailplace.com/) by Bob "501" McCaw last year.

Don H
10-06-2010, 08:11
Maybe the question should be "Are there any guide books that you would NOT recommend?" For three years I used 2006 edition of "The Thru-Hikers Handbook" also a good guide.

10-K
10-06-2010, 08:15
The AT Guide is my favorite but I liked it better before it was in landscape format with 3 pages between town info.

I like to throw away pages as I use them up while I'm hiking. With this new format you have to hold onto pages that you've hiked in order to keep the town info (or visa-versa).

Another nit I have is the use of east and west instead of left and right...

Nothing major, just minor irritants.

I also like 501's book and always order one of those as well. Like someone said - apples and oranges.

Spokes
10-06-2010, 08:16
Great point Don H.

I'm seriously considering getting the AT Guide "Southbound" edition if I ever decide on going the other way in 2011.

Reading a guidebook backwards is antithetical to me.

Roughin' It
10-06-2010, 08:23
On my thru, I used the A.T. Guide, and the people I hiked with used a variation of others (including 501's and the Companion). They ended up not using theirs, and just bummed information off of me. We all shared the A.T. guide.

Red Hat
10-06-2010, 10:26
my favorite is also the AT Guide. I saw all the others being used this year though. I actually bought two: one to keep and one to tear into pieces for maildrops. If you do the maildrop thing, be sure you get the town info in the drop before town, sometimes I needed the info and it was several pages later than the mileage page.

Torch09
10-06-2010, 11:09
On my thru, I used the A.T. Guide, and the people I hiked with used a variation of others (including 501's and the Companion). They ended up not using theirs, and just bummed information off of me. We all shared the A.T. guide.

That's funny, because in 2009 I used 501's Handbook and it was the envy of many hikers who carried other books. When it came to decisions about which towns to stop in and which one's to skip, my book was invaluale.

I guess it comes down to personal preference and what type of info you want.:-?

Awol2003
10-06-2010, 22:58
I'm sold out of the 2010 A.T. Guide, except for a few Southbound loose-leaf books. Some outfitters still have them in stock and sell them on their websites, too. (Mountain Crossings and Campmor have NOBO; Antigravity Gear and Outfittters at HF have SOBO). If you are planning a 2011 hike, the 2011 book will be available early in January.