PDA

View Full Version : Llamas as pack animal on AT ???

markellag
12-06-2004, 09:28
Why doesn't anyone rent llamas to use as pack animals on the AT ???

Bloodroot
12-06-2004, 09:38
Rent a llama? Sounds like an interesting small business prospect.

I wouldn't use it because I like carrying my stuff. Besides they would ***** everywhere.

Blue Jay
12-06-2004, 09:39

There used to be a place near Great Barrington, MA that did. It was great seeing and petting them. Very soft, friendly and always on a leash.

tlbj6142
12-06-2004, 10:29
It is my understanding that Llamas don't work out too well in the east because one of the common plants along the trail is toxic to them. And, they'll eat it anyway.

I read this from that female author who did the PCT years ago (found her husband on the trail) and then did the CDT with her children ridding on Llamas. They bought 2-3 to use them in the east, but later found out about the plant issue.

Blue Jay
12-06-2004, 10:42
It is my understanding that Llamas don't work out too well in the east because one of the common plants along the trail is toxic to them. And, they'll eat it anyway.

Kind of like hikers with cigarettes and giant Hardees Hamburgers.

The Solemates
12-06-2004, 10:42
They use llamas to pack stuff up to Mt LeConte Lodge in the Smokies.

max patch
12-06-2004, 10:44

Horses and llamas are not allowed on the AT except on parts of the GSMNP and 3 miles of the C&O Canal Path in Maryland.

Some areas (think SNP, GSMNP and Grayson) have horse trails that intersect the AT. Horses are allowed to cross the AT at these junctions.

Palmer
12-06-2004, 13:49
Max Patch is right, although I've never fully understood why. I can understand the need to prohibit horses and donkeys; their hooves can be very destructive. I have been told, however, that the cloven hooves (if that's the right term) of llamas don't cause much damage to the terrain. I don't know whether I've been misinformed on this point or whether the "powers that be" felt it was easier to simply prohibit all pack animals from the trail. Then again, maybe the concern isn't habitat destruction, but feces deposits.

tarbubble
12-06-2004, 14:02
actually, llamas don't have hooves at all. they have two toe pads (think of a cat paw) and two claws on each foot. they are much, much less destructive than horses - some studies equate their impact to that of a human foot. their scat is similar to that of bighorn sheep, small pellets that are easily kicked aside. they do pee right on the trail, tho, and that's not especially pleasant.

i suspect the reason you will never see a "llamas only" designation on the AT is because equestrian groups would riot and demand equal access. and you don't want horses, trust me. we're stuck with them out west and just have to deal with it, but a horse-free trail is a beautiful thing.

Skeemer
12-06-2004, 14:34
You could take a nice heavy insulated tent with mattresses, kitchen equipment, and since wieght would no longer be an issue, some Swanson frozen meals to cook in your microwave (powered by your portable generator.) Trouble is once you got to town the hotels would probably not let you tie them to a post overnight. You might be able to call ahead on your cell phone and work the kinks out.

Now, if they could only get those pod things perfected to climb steps and go down steep mountains we could really enjoy the Trail!

tarbubble
12-06-2004, 14:44
You could take a nice heavy insulated tent with mattresses, kitchen equipment, and since wieght would no longer be an issue, some Swanson frozen meals to cook in your microwave (powered by your portable generator.) Trouble is once you got to town the hotels would probably not let you tie them to a post overnight. You might be able to call ahead on your cell phone and work the kinks out.
too bad they only carry about 75 pounds each (including the saddle & pannier weight). you'd need a pretty big string to carry all that. but for somebody like me, who has small kids that can't walk 15 mpd but who still need food, clothes and sleeping bags, llamas are a great option. small kids can also ride on them. that's how we plan to do a big section of the PCT in 2006. the AT will have to come last, once the kids are old enough to walk it themselves.

MOWGLI
12-06-2004, 14:46
Max Patch is right, although I've never fully understood why. I

It all has to do with the grade of the treadway, and the use the trail was designed for. The AT was built for foot trafic, and the grade is too steep for pack animals in many places.

You can take a Llama on the PCT.

Go West Young Man!

weary
12-06-2004, 15:10
too bad they only carry about 75 pounds each (including the saddle & pannier weight). you'd need a pretty big string to carry all that. but for somebody like me, who has small kids that can't walk 15 mpd but who still need food, clothes and sleeping bags, llamas are a great option. small kids can also ride on them. that's how we plan to do a big section of the PCT in 2006. the AT will have to come last, once the kids are old enough to walk it themselves.
Well, 15 miles per day, is not wise for kids of any age -- not because most can't walk that far, but because miles are less important than encouraging curiosity.

In my experience kids as young as three can hike several miles with a light pack. Kids six and more can do multiple day hikes without problems. No, you can't change a tv couch potato to a backpacker overnight -- regardless of age. But kids should be encouraged to be active, regardless of age, and active kids have no trouble walking five miles as young as 5. When I took a pudgy 9 year old for a 280 mile walk on the AT, I had to gradually add stuff to his pack in order to keep him in sight.

Weary

tarbubble
12-06-2004, 15:47
Well, 15 miles per day, is not wise for kids of any age -- not because most can't walk that far, but because miles are less important than encouraging curiosity.

In my experience kids as young as three can hike several miles with a light pack. Kids six and more can do multiple day hikes without problems. No, you can't change a tv couch potato to a backpacker overnight -- regardless of age. But kids should be encouraged to be active, regardless of age, and active kids have no trouble walking five miles as young as 5. When I took a pudgy 9 year old for a 280 mile walk on the AT, I had to gradually add stuff to his pack in order to keep him in sight.
i have a friend whose son could walk 10 miles by age 5. she started taking him out at 6 months. in my case, in 2006 i'll have a 3.5 year old and a little bit over a 1-year-old. 15 mpd is not the actual goal, it was just a common thru-hiker daily mileage that i threw in. we'll get as far as we can get every day, and as long as we are averaging OK then there will be no problems. i plan to have my 3-yo walk until he's tired, then he can ride on the llama until he wants down again. i know the times when he is walking will be slower. we will be passing through at least one section that is roughly 130-140 miles between resupply points, so that is a bit much food for Mama & Daddy to carry, especially since one of us will be carrying the youngest child. we'll carry all that we can and have our trusty beasts for the remainder.

tlbj6142
12-06-2004, 16:02
small kids can also ride on them. that's how we plan to do a big section of the PCT in 2006. the AT will have to come last, once the kids are old enough to walk it themselves.I assume you have read Cindy's book (http://www.llama.org/CindyRoss/default.htm). She was the author I was talking about.

tarbubble
12-06-2004, 16:22
I assume you have read Cindy's book (http://www.llama.org/CindyRoss/default.htm). She was the author I was talking about.
ohhhhhhh yes. ordered it from amazon before it even came out. i was frustrated that it was light on technique & planning, but that just means i have to re-read it and look a little harder for that info. i'm also in contact with several private llama packers, some of which have done large portions of the PCT. the ones who were backpackers before they were llama packers are the most help, as they have a similar "minimal weight" mindset.

we might consider the CDT in a few more years; depends on what sort of life plans & changes we can make.

Megabite
12-06-2004, 17:19
i thought the answer to this was very simple... why the long post?

in a nutshell, people dont, because you cant... that pesky "no pack animals" clause...

-- megabite

Lugnut
12-06-2004, 20:08
Lone Wolf would made a good pack animal and as far as I know he is allowed on the trail. :D

Lone Wolf
12-06-2004, 20:11
I think Pebbles & Sticks is trying to ban me along with cell phones. :)

MedicineMan
12-06-2004, 23:23
on the AT you are the pack animal