PDA

View Full Version : What technology do you use?

Odd Man Out
10-06-2010, 09:12
There are a two types of technology I am ambivalent about when hiking and was wondering what other people do.

One is a watch. When hiking, I don't necessarily want to be tied to the clock as I am in my "regular life". I get up at dawn (or later if still tired), eat when I'm hungry, and go to sleep when it gets dark. On the other hand, a watch is sometimes very useful, such as a navigating device (I find it easier to figure out where I am by the time spent walking, e.g.)

The other is a thermometer. Do I really need to know what the temperature is at any given time? If I'm cold, I put on more layers. If I'm hot, I take layers off. But if I get up on a cold morning, I often wonder how cold it really is. I sometimes think it could be useful information to know how I react to certain temps so I can plan accordingly, but I never have hiked with a thermometer, so I don't really know.

So what do you use? A watch? A thermometer?

4eyedbuzzard
10-06-2010, 09:21
A watch - that way I don't hike too long and run over into overtime. [Okay, truth is I rarely finish a straight time day - it's a vacation for me ;)]

Jonnycat
10-06-2010, 09:26
The only time a watch would be useful is when there is too much cloud cover to discern the sun. Still, I don't bother, as I can get a good enough idea with the number of miles I have covered.

The Cleaner
10-06-2010, 09:43
I always use both.Sometimes when hiking uphill you might think the air temp is warm when actually it is you that has warmed up,a quick look at a thermometer tells you that it is still cold.With this info you can slow your pace to cool down gradually instead of working up a sweat so that you can then stop&rest without becomming hypothermic.Also the rate at which the temperature falls can be a hint of weather changes to come....

max patch
10-06-2010, 09:43
I don't carry a thermometer but I agree that it would be interesting to know what the termperture was. One of those high/low thermometers would be ideal.

I always carry a watch. You're 8 miles from the P.O. on Friday. Can you make it before it closes? Or you're 6 miles from an awesome campsite. Can you make it before dark? If you have a watch you will know the answer.

Watch is also handy if you want to get started by daybreak during the summer to beat the heat. Just don't be an a-hole and use the alarm in a shelter.

sparky2000
10-06-2010, 09:58
Is a whistle and compass caveman tech?

Pedaling Fool
10-06-2010, 10:05
I guess it depends on how you define technology. I remeber reading in another post that just because someone is anti-electronics doesn't mean they're anti-technology. In my mind they're one in the same. However, after further thought, I realized that poster had a point. There is a lot of technology in tents, backpacks... and various other fabrics, composites and metals that is easy to overlook. So basically we all hike with technology.

As for watches, if you get lost as much as me then you quickly see their value as a navigation tool, I never feel "tied to the clock" by wearing one.

And of course a camera is my most important on the list of 10 essentials.

:sun

Mags
10-06-2010, 10:06
A watch is an excellent navigational aid. If you know your rough pace and how long you have been hiking, it puts you in the general area of where you are.

Very useful for trails (or off trail!) where there are no uber-precise databooks. My watch, compass and map were used almost daily on the CDT.

Even on well marked trails, dead reckoning gives me a rough idea of how far away something may be as well.

Spokes
10-06-2010, 10:19
I wear an old Timex Ironman watch. It's served me well.

I met a lot of thru hikers last year who wore those Altimeter/Barometer watches (http://www.suuntowatches.com/By_Function/Suunto_Watches_with_Altimeter/index.cat) like from Suunto.

I was really jealous and considered getting one. But then I remembered most of them said getting the altimeter/ barometer to work consistently was a real pain.

Anyone have experience with them?

sbhikes
10-06-2010, 10:20
I use a watch but not a thermometer. The watch provides useful information and with the information it provides, I can change my situation. The thermometer only puts a number on something I can't change.

garlic08
10-06-2010, 10:21
I don't carry a thermometer but I agree that it would be interesting to know what the termperture was. One of those high/low thermometers would be ideal.

I always carry a watch. You're 8 miles from the P.O. on Friday. Can you make it before it closes? Or you're 6 miles from an awesome campsite. Can you make it before dark? If you have a watch you will know the answer.

Watch is also handy if you want to get started by daybreak during the summer to beat the heat. Just don't be an a-hole and use the alarm in a shelter.

A watch is an excellent navigational aid. If you know your rough pace and how long you have been hiking, it puts you in the general area of where you are.

Very useful for trails (or off trail!) where there are no uber-precise databooks. My watch, compass and map were used almost daily on the CDT.

Even on well marked trails, dead reckoning gives me a rough idea of how far away something may be as well.

Ditto both of these. A simple watch is a critical navigation tool for me. I only wear a watch when I'm hiking, actually.

I don't carry a thermometer. Temperature is not nearly as important as moisture, and I can tell when it's raining.

I like technology, especially modern fabrics and materials. I prefer to leave gadgets and batteries at home though. The only batteries in my pack are for the LED headlamp.

Old Hiker
10-06-2010, 11:49
I have a Timex that has a thermometer and compass built in. The thermometer always registers 86.6 unless I have taken it off for a few minutes to get rid of my body heat. I haven't tried the compass yet in the wild. I like to be able to brag that it was xx degrees and I was camping.

I also carried a small 35mm Advantix camera until "they" stopped making the film. Bastards. I had to upgrade to a small digital camera. It is smaller and saves the weight of carrying 3-4 rolls of film. I try to have the camera attached to my sternum strap so it's pretty available.

Mountain Wildman
10-06-2010, 12:08
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/4-watches_2125_28228305

CASIO PATHFINDER WATCH
MEN'S MODEL: PAW2000T 7V

Triple Sensor (Compass, Altimeter, Barometer/Thermometer)
Duplex LCD Display.
Two LCD screens that are stacked on one another. The top LCD screen is used for the compass function. Thin Case Sensor 31% smaller compare to PAW1300
100M Water Resistant
Tough Solar Power
Multi-Band 6 Atomic Timekeeping
US, Canada, UK, Germany, Japan, China100M Water Resistant
Digital Compass
Directions on display are shown bynumerical degrees or directional symbol like N,S,E,W,NE,SW ect.. Altimeter reading
Measures between: -700 to 10,000m (-2,300 to 32,800ft) and also give you 20 data memories of past readings with date and maximum altitude. A graph display of the altitude is also a great visual help for reading and understanding the measurements. Barometer reading
Measures between: 260 to 1,100 hPa (7.65 to 32.45 inHg) Display unit: 1 hPa (0.05 inHg) Atmospheric pressure tendency graph Atmospheric pressure differential graphic.Thermometer reading
this model will show the current temperature in celcius or Fahrenheit.Sunrise & Sunset Data
World Time (48 cities)
Full Auto
EL Backlight w/Afterglow
5 Daily Alarms
Countdown
1/100 Sec. Stopwatch
12/24 Hr Formats
Power Saving Function
Module: 3172
Titanium band. Titanium is 40% lighter than steel and twice as durable.
References: Protrek, PAW2000, PAW 2000, PAW-2000T, PRW2000T, PRW-2000T
Size / l weight 56 x 50 x 11 mm / 107.2g

Kerosene
10-06-2010, 12:13
I've used the same Timex digital watch for my section hikes over the past 15 years, mostly for dead-reckoning and planning mileage. It certainly doesn't seem to negatively impact my outdoor experience.

I've got a thermometer on my mini-compass, but I typically only use it to document the temperature in my trail journal. A min/max feature would be nice, but I'm unwilling to add even an ounce for that feature.

I do carry a point-and-shoot digital camera (5 oz) which I consider indispensable. With my current job, I've been forced to also bring a Blackberry (another 5 oz), with which I check in each evening and morning if I have a signal. It is useful to have a phone or text messaging at the start and end of a section, however.

Oh, and I carry a few LED flashlights also!

Luddite
10-06-2010, 12:39
Mountain Wildman - How well does that watch work? Do the batteries run out quickly? I'm thinking about getting one of the cheaper models on ebay. Some are as cheap as $45.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370437906225&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

sbhikes
10-06-2010, 13:08
I gave my boyfriend one of those Pathfinders. He wore it every day for about a decade. It didn't take any more juice than other watches. It finally started breaking (scratched up, some features no longer worked) so I bought him another one that charges by the sun. So far so good with that one.

Toolshed
10-06-2010, 13:29

I met a lot of thru hikers last year who wore those Altimeter/Barometer watches (http://www.suuntowatches.com/By_Function/Suunto_Watches_with_Altimeter/index.cat) like from Suunto.

I was really jealous and considered getting one. But then I remembered most of them said getting the altimeter/ barometer to work consistently was a real pain.

I have a Suunto (HR3 I Think) that I use for the heart rate monitor, but it gives altitude and barometric pressure. I have learned to ignore both since one offsets the other (inversely related). If I had a bug up my A$$, I might set the altimeter to a campsite once I get there only to see what the change is the next AM as it relates to barometric pressure..
PS - it has a temp sensor and it only reads the outdoor temp correctly only if I take the watch off for 10-15 minutes, otherwise it always reads the temp in the high 70's due to my body heat..

Alligator
10-06-2010, 13:43

Anyone have experience with them?I have a Vector.

The altimeter is useful for the delta elevation. I generally forget to reset it daily unless I pass an elevation sign. As with the watch, I like to know how long distances will take to hike. Sectioning tends to require stricter time limits.

The thermometer is not helpful isn some respects because as mentioned it needs to be taken off to get the correct temperature. I do find it helpful for assessing clothing and sleeping bag choices so it is a helpful planning tool. Which bag and what clothes kept me warm at what temperature.

jersey joe
10-06-2010, 13:58
I also found a watch exceedingly healpful in gauging mileage. It also came in handy when racing for mail drops!

couscous
10-06-2010, 14:34
Maybe a Verizon-ready iPhone (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703735804575536191649347572.html) .. someday.

Luddite
10-06-2010, 14:36
I also found a watch exceedingly healpful in gauging mileage. It also came in handy when racing for mail drops!

Yeah I used to do the whole "I don't want to know what time it is" thing, but I just ended up asking other people what time it was. Watches do come in handy.

mikec
10-06-2010, 15:02
I just ordered a Suunto Core Military watch for long distance hiking. Can't wait to try it out. Clock, alarm, temperature, altimeter, barometer, depth measurement, compass.

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3670095

JonnyWalker
10-06-2010, 15:10
Easy way to fix the thermometer problem is simply strap the watch to a shoulder strap or the outside of the pack. My parrot ate the wristband on my suunto so I just tied it to one of those retractable lighter cases you get at gas stations. That way I can clip it just about anywhere and still move it around to get a good look at it.

Ender
10-06-2010, 15:16
Generally I carry a watch and a compass, and depending on where I'm hiking one of those two will be the most used. I also carry a cell phone now that I hardly use, mainly just to call the wife once I'm headed back home.

mweinstone
10-06-2010, 15:25
i use an ultra sophistocated non alloy medium of brown rice and veggis to allow me to subtract the nonessential snickers from my environs , and a cup. dude and jack kick me there when im winey. and bacon sails to catch the fat winds and ride the blubwave to maine.i tryed diversified high carb deathjuice and deathmints once. i woke up in the snow face down with unchewed glucose tablets in my mouth and eyes and a note tied to my wrist that read" went for help 3:21pm"

FlyPaper
10-06-2010, 15:29
There are a two types of technology I am ambivalent about when hiking and was wondering what other people do.

One is a watch. When hiking, I don't necessarily want to be tied to the clock as I am in my "regular life". I get up at dawn (or later if still tired), eat when I'm hungry, and go to sleep when it gets dark. On the other hand, a watch is sometimes very useful, such as a navigating device (I find it easier to figure out where I am by the time spent walking, e.g.)

The other is a thermometer. Do I really need to know what the temperature is at any given time? If I'm cold, I put on more layers. If I'm hot, I take layers off. But if I get up on a cold morning, I often wonder how cold it really is. I sometimes think it could be useful information to know how I react to certain temps so I can plan accordingly, but I never have hiked with a thermometer, so I don't really know.

So what do you use? A watch? A thermometer?

I watch is very useful for gauging distance in the absence of other landmarks.

A thermometer is interesting, and I try to have one with me. I figure it is near useless while hiking because you're either holding it, thus making it warmer, or packing it some place you can't easily get to it. But it is interesting when in camp to know how cold it actually is. It is most useful in planning the next hike (i.e. last hike it got down to 35 degrees and I really wished I had one more layer. My upcoming hike it is expected to get down to 35 degrees, so this time I'll bring that extra layer).

A friend of mind has an altimeter watch. It is helpful when climbing hills. We often feel like we've ascended 1000' when actually we've done about 500'. Good to keep check on reality.

Mountain Wildman
10-06-2010, 15:38
Mountain Wildman - How well does that watch work? Do the batteries run out quickly? I'm thinking about getting one of the cheaper models on ebay. Some are as cheap as $45.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370437906225&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

My watch works great, It is solar powered so battery replacement is not necessary, It is also atomic so it sets itself and updates every morning around 1:00AM, I just position the watch on my window sill facing west and it gets it's signal from the Naval Atomic Time Center in Colorado I believe, I have to position it because I am surrounded by the Presidential mountain range as well as Mount Washington, You may not need to take special measures in positioning like I do if you are not surrounded by mountains, It only needs about 5 minutes of sunlight per day or an hour or two of any light to store enough power to last for a week, The Barometer is extremely accurate and the Thermometer as well but it works better for temperature if you take it off of your wrist for a half an hour. It weighs 3.6 ounces and is lighter than my other watches. When I first got it I entered in my Longitude and Latitude and it gives me accurate sunrise and sunset times. It is a care free watch, It basically does everything I need and more, If it had a built in GPS it would be perfect!!! The cheaper models like 45 bucks are probably not solar atomic powered so you have to set it and change the dates manually and the batteries when they die like any other watch. If you get one of the better models, you just do some initial settings and calibrations and it is set for life. If you leave your usual area and go hundreds of miles away you may need to recalibrate the features so they are accurate and appropriate for the area you are in.
I have no apprehension at all in recommending my watch, It's not cheap but it is an awesome tool for backpacking.

Here is where I purchased mine: http://www.nywatchstore.com/mecapacosopo.html They have a video review of the watch at this link also.

Trailbender
10-06-2010, 15:44
I carry an ipod when I hike. Sometimes I like to listen to music, sometimes not. I like the option.

Mags
10-06-2010, 15:56
My watch tells the time...and it glows.

Then again, I bought it in 2006 and it still works on the same battery (As Garlic would say, this is a "I **** you not" story)

http://pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=14207&g2_serialNumber=2

leaftye
10-06-2010, 20:07
Watch: Use it to wake up before the sun rises, take regular breaks and estimate distance traveled.

(dumb) Phone: Use it to arrange a ride and mail drops.

GPS

Camera

I do bring a thermometer and use it, but I probably would not bring one if one wasn't part of my whistle.

Sometimes I'll bring a solar USB/AA charger.

One some hikes I'll bring along a 5.6" Windows 7 computer...good for reading, journaling, maps and gps. It pretty much depends how light I want to go and if there's room in the pack I want to use.

leaftye
10-06-2010, 20:08
Oh yeah, I bring a headlamp too. Actually, that's the device I'm likely to carry more than any of the others.

lilricky
10-06-2010, 20:29
I bring a GPS, a Garmin Dakota 20 to be precise. I know, you don't need a GPS when you're on a trail as well marked as the AT, but I have notes about each waypoint, whether its about the nearest water source to a shelter, or phone numbers and times of operation for various outfitters, restaurants, post offices, etc. Its also pretty nice to be able to see how many miles to go to the next campsite and how long until sunset. I also bring a camera to document my trip. BTW if anyone needs a .gpx of the AT with all those waypoints PM me.

Pony
10-06-2010, 21:10

Oops. I've been guilty of that.:o Actually the alarm never woke me up and I forgot it was even set until somebody asked me why I needed to get up at 5am.

I only use a watch when I am hiking. I have a tendancy to goof off during the day, so it helps keep me on pace. I also carry a thermometer/compass keychain on a zipper on my pack. It's mostly a novelty but I like to carry it mostly for curiosity.

Powder River
10-07-2010, 01:10
I also carried a small 35mm Advantix camera until "they" stopped making the film. Bastards. I had to upgrade to a small digital camera. It is smaller and saves the weight of carrying 3-4 rolls of film. I try to have the camera attached to my sternum strap so it's pretty available.

Good riddance to Advantix. The frame was smaller, therefore poorer quality compared to 35mm. There is a reason they stopped making it.

Powder River
10-07-2010, 01:19
I don't mean to offend the natives, but I do carry technology:

DSLR
iphone
fold-out keyboard (to write my journal)
ipod

With this goes two chargers and an extra battery for the camera.

When Amazon makes one less than 6 ounces, I will get an e-reader. When they invent The Next Big Thing, I will probably carry one of those too.

As for a watch and thermometer, I've never carried em. Would come in handy, though.

leaftye
10-07-2010, 01:21
iphone and ipod? Isn't that redundant?

Powder River
10-07-2010, 01:26
iphone and ipod? Isn't that redundant?

Not when you want to actually listen to it. You would quickly drain the phone's batteries listening to music.

Dogwood
10-07-2010, 01:32
I'm with others like Mags and Garlic who said that they find a watch exceedingly helpful with navigation. A plain watch helps with determining mileage, location, pace, and I can even use it as a rough compass. It's also helpful in getting to the PO in time so I can pick up my resupply box! I used a plain Timex Expedition watch with a glo-in the dark backlight on the AT. Worked like a charm! Sent my Suunto Vector back home because I thought it was overkill for the well documented well blazed AT!

A Suunto Vector, Casio Pathfinder, or Origo Altimeter watch with digital compass, thermometer, barometer, chronograph, timer, etc is fine for mountain trips, large elev changes, overseas, and remote bushwacking dependability.

old geezer
10-07-2010, 08:48
How about just a cell phone?
Watch, camera, compass, music, and God knows what else all in one
Solar charger/ Regular charge in town?

Ironbelly
10-07-2010, 08:52
The watches with a compass can drain a battery fairly quickly depending on how much you use the compass function, that's the real battery drainer. I had a watch by Suunto, i forget the name, but it broke after 2.5 years, and to get it fixed is more than I want to spend on it. And, the watch was physically huge compared to other watches.

I havn't seen any newer models, but am sure they are probally a little smaller. With occassional use of the compass on my old watch the battery would last a year to a year and a half.

I now have a High Gear Altitech-2 that I got for xmas that I really like. It has a carabiner built in so I just keep it clipped on my shoulder strap. It has a compass, altimeter, barometer, temp, and time, stopwatch etc. It really works great. As long as you set the altimeter once every so often(like once a week , or once you get to a new area after driving) it works like a champ, and so does the barometer. I usually set the altimeter when I get to a trailhead, and usually don't have to touch it again until after the trip. And it only weighs like 1.5oz. New Models are out, but this model can be found around for 90$ or so.

SmokyMtn Hiker
10-07-2010, 08:56
I have a watch that has a thermometer, altimeter and reads barometric pressure so I guess I it all in one. I always like to wake up in the morning and check the temp, I think for me it's a habit as I do it every morning at home when I wake up. The barometric pressure can be helpfully to determine if a weather front is coming but it makes the altimeter fluctuate so I have to keep it calibrated.

mweinstone
10-07-2010, 09:05
better than all other devisis you carry. altitude compas baro allarm timer chrono temp temp under water graphs of alt baro and weather prediting and all manner of exactly what u need when obamma . sorry, ment , if a bomb a go off. or if your atomic clock stops or your war makes clouds and ur solar fails. me and the matwatch i got from the giveaway at traildays will still be eating bacon pancakes at 437 am by the cool indiglow light to the soothings of the beep beep beep, its time to hike allarm. to the soothings of the beep beep its time to eat more bacon allarm.

Luddite
10-07-2010, 15:02
Here is where I purchased mine: http://www.nywatchstore.com/mecapacosopo.html They have a video review of the watch at this link also.

Thanks. I didn't think the Solar Power would work that good. Sure beats buying a new batteries. Maybe somebody will buy me one for Christmas.

Prettywoman0172
10-08-2010, 14:47
How do you carry your DSLR? I have one that I love, but I havent brought it hiking because I am afraid of something happening to it in my pack. It is also HEAVY. So I carry a little Nikon point and shoot.

Do tell me more about the fold out keyboard. The trail is the only place I dont take my iPad. I am taking my iPod touch and Shuffle this weekend though.

Ann

I don't mean to offend the natives, but I do carry technology:

DSLR
iphone
fold-out keyboard (to write my journal)
ipod

With this goes two chargers and an extra battery for the camera.

When Amazon makes one less than 6 ounces, I will get an e-reader. When they invent The Next Big Thing, I will probably carry one of those too.

As for a watch and thermometer, I've never carried em. Would come in handy, though.

flemdawg1
10-08-2010, 14:59
finitions of technology (n)
tech·nol·o·gy [ tek nólləjee ] http://www.bing.com/s/playbtn.png (http://www.bing.com/caption/image/?bid=PsKi8853i7HGUQ&bn=EDPG&FORM=DTPDIA)

application of tools and methods: the study, development, and application of devices, machines, and techniques for manufacturing and productive processes
method of applying technical knowledge: a method or methodology that applies technical knowledge or tools
machines and systems: machines, equipment, and systems considered as a unit
Everything in your pack (including the pack) is a form of technology.

Jester2000
10-08-2010, 16:26
tech·nol·o·gy [ tek nólləjee ] http://www.bing.com/s/playbtn.png (http://www.bing.com/caption/image/?bid=PsKi8853i7HGUQ&bn=EDPG&FORM=DTPDIA)

application of tools and methods: the study, development, and application of devices, machines, and techniques for manufacturing and productive processes
method of applying technical knowledge: a method or methodology that applies technical knowledge or tools

That was my exact point when I posted in another thread that people who are anti-electronics are not anti-technology.

As for me, I do carry a watch, but not a thermometer.

mweinstone
10-08-2010, 16:36
i carry the most powerfull technology . " do unto others as you wanna be done.

Powder River
10-08-2010, 23:31
How do you carry your DSLR? I have one that I love, but I havent brought it hiking because I am afraid of something happening to it in my pack. It is also HEAVY. So I carry a little Nikon point and shoot.

Do tell me more about the fold out keyboard. The trail is the only place I dont take my iPad. I am taking my iPod touch and Shuffle this weekend though.

Ann

I have a little Rebel with the kit lens (18-55mm) which is pretty light for a DSLR. I carry this in the lightest case I could find, a Lowepro Cirrus TLZ 15 (http://products.lowepro.com/product/Cirrus-TLZ-15,1913,8.htm). I attach it to the loops on my shoulder straps with the straps from a Domke "Gripper (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/16182-REG/Domke_741_6BK_1_Web_Camera_Strap.html)" camera strap. It is made to carry a camera around your neck but I just fastened it to the case, left the center part at home. If you leave it like that it will hang at your stomach and bounce a lot, so I used a bungie to secure it down low on the left shoulder strap. So it kind of hugs to the left, bounces only a little. See here (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_yFFUrZ7uleo/THmXFFT0qGI/AAAAAAAAAGQ/iuNn8PyIR6Y/s1600/IMG_0531+1.jpg). When I want to take my pack off I just unfasten the quick release on the right side, leaving the left side secured. Total weight with charger is about 2 pounds. I wouldn't worry about anything happening to it, DSLRs are made to take a beating.

As for the keyboard, I have a Thinkoutside Bluetooth Keyboard (http://reviews.cnet.com/keyboards/think-outside-stowaway-universal/1707-3134_7-31125478.html). It is about 6 ounces and pretty ancient, from the era of PDAs. Thankfully there are companies starting to make this type of stuff again because the iphone finally supports it and so does Android.

yari
10-08-2010, 23:40

Rubbing two sticks together is technology. I guess I use a lot of it hiking.

yari
10-08-2010, 23:40
Rubbing two sticks together is technology. I guess I use a lot of it hiking.

That should have included "to make a fire". I am up past my bed time, please forgive me.

IronGutsTommy
10-09-2010, 00:48
i wear a watch for mileage. also it helps as oi can set the alarm on days i want to get started before the sun rises, and knowing what the time is when visiting towns can help alot, especially if an AYCE buffet has a starting or ending time that might interfere with my consumption of mass quantities

Windcatcher
10-09-2010, 18:43
Casio Pathfinder - Solar Powered, Atomic Time Keeping, Day & Date, Compass, Thermometer, Barometer, Altimeter. It's tough, functional, light.

Time, Date, Date are extremely accurate. Compass, Thermometer, Barometer, and Altimeter are accurate enough unless you want scientific readings.

mweinstone
10-09-2010, 19:03
you wanna see my technology? my mind can prosses over 1000 bits of information per second 12 hours a day every day for over 75 years without maintenence. my tracking and avoidence software enables me to hike at night without a light in near total darkness feeling with my feet alone at a jog. my pain and damage control systems keep me functioning at the highest pain levels. my accumulated knowlage spans the scope of human understanding. i am able to go where no man has gone befor. my lifetime mission, to seek out and walk to katadhin.

mweinstone
10-09-2010, 19:05
i am,....the starship MATTHEWSKI......cue music.....

kayak karl
10-09-2010, 19:27
i use a thermos. in the morning i can put in hot stuff and later on its still hot, but if i put cold stuff in its still cold. HOW DOES IT KNOW???? techinologe is great

Prettywoman0172
10-10-2010, 18:32
I have that exact SAME case for when I drag my DSLR around. I have a Nikon D90 with the kit lens on it. It seems heavier than 2 lbs, although I havent weighed it.

I am afraid I would fall down a cliff or something and it would be done for...or I would get it wet.

You are right about the bouncing.

Thanks!

Ann

I have a little Rebel with the kit lens (18-55mm) which is pretty light for a DSLR. I carry this in the lightest case I could find, a Lowepro Cirrus TLZ 15 (http://products.lowepro.com/product/Cirrus-TLZ-15,1913,8.htm). I attach it to the loops on my shoulder straps with the straps from a Domke "Gripper (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/16182-REG/Domke_741_6BK_1_Web_Camera_Strap.html)" camera strap. It is made to carry a camera around your neck but I just fastened it to the case, left the center part at home. If you leave it like that it will hang at your stomach and bounce a lot, so I used a bungie to secure it down low on the left shoulder strap. So it kind of hugs to the left, bounces only a little. See here (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_yFFUrZ7uleo/THmXFFT0qGI/AAAAAAAAAGQ/iuNn8PyIR6Y/s1600/IMG_0531+1.jpg). When I want to take my pack off I just unfasten the quick release on the right side, leaving the left side secured. Total weight with charger is about 2 pounds. I wouldn't worry about anything happening to it, DSLRs are made to take a beating.

As for the keyboard, I have a Thinkoutside Bluetooth Keyboard (http://reviews.cnet.com/keyboards/think-outside-stowaway-universal/1707-3134_7-31125478.html). It is about 6 ounces and pretty ancient, from the era of PDAs. Thankfully there are companies starting to make this type of stuff again because the iphone finally supports it and so does Android.

earlyriser26
10-10-2010, 19:48

For several years I used one of the altimeter watches. It was very accurate (always within 50 feet). It was overkill, but it allowed me to know almost exactly where I was when used in combination with a map.

theinfamousj
10-10-2010, 20:33
I have a watch that I wear at all times (unless I am showering) so of course it goes with me on the trail. I have found it useful for answering other hiker's, "What time is it?" questions, as well as timing my Aqua Mira so I know when to put it in to my platy.

I also carry a thermometer. If it weren't attached to my compass, I doubt I would. I've only used it when another hiker asks me if I know the temperature.

Powder River
10-11-2010, 09:51
I have that exact SAME case for when I drag my DSLR around. I have a Nikon D90 with the kit lens on it. It seems heavier than 2 lbs, although I havent weighed it.

I am afraid I would fall down a cliff or something and it would be done for...or I would get it wet.

You are right about the bouncing.

Thanks!

Ann

The D90 is not a light camera. It has that bigger size and metal construction. Also, depending on which lens you have that could also add to the weight. If you have the 18-105 that is nearly 40 ounces for just the camera and lens. A Nikon D3100 with 18-55 lens would be around 25 ounces.

I really don't think the camera can be harmed easily inside the case. True you don't want to drop it off a cliff, but if it just bangs against a rock it shouldn't harm it. You could also get a rubber lens hood which would provide great protection. I carry a large zip lock at the bottom of the case, and when it rains the camera goes in the zip lock, then in the case, then in my pack.

Pedaling Fool
10-11-2010, 10:05
Ann

The D90 is not a light camera. It has that bigger size and metal construction. Also, depending on which lens you have that could also add to the weight. If you have the 18-105 that is nearly 40 ounces for just the camera and lens. A Nikon D3100 with 18-55 lens would be around 25 ounces.
You two need to upload pics in your gallery.

Old Hiker
10-11-2010, 11:58
Good riddance to Advantix. The frame was smaller, therefore poorer quality compared to 35mm. There is a reason they stopped making it.

I had GREAT pics with the Advantix. I used 400 speed film and I couldn't tell the difference between my Nikon 35 SLR and the Advantix. I still miss using the telephoto lens for the Nikon, though. Advantix went the way of buggy whips because of all the digitals out there.

You CAN take many more photos on a 2 gig card than any number of film rolls, plus you can see what you got then and there, which is nice.

Plus: the Advantix had NO, repeat NO, lag time between the button push and shutter click. I had to look for quite a while to find a digital that would do this reasonably well. I can get much better candid shots with no lag time.

BostonPro
10-12-2010, 10:13
I always have a watch on, never use a thermometer, always bring my nikon d60, and my iPod. Call me crazy, but it works out for me!