PDA

View Full Version : Recompressing after the hike

sbhikes
10-06-2010, 13:30
After the hike I found it hard to come back to civilization. To readjust this is what I did:

1. Slept with windows open and no pillow for a while
2. Got a volunteer job working in a garden so I could be outside and do physical labor
3. Got a part-time job in a pet shop with a lot of physical labor involved
4. Got a different part-time job with a lot of boring work so my mind could wander and drift like it got used to doing
5. Walked everywhere and went for day hikes and long beach hikes
6. Walked barefoot to try to heal my injured feet
7. Ate lots of fresh fruit
8. Turned my journal into a bound book as a gift for my mom, my biggest fan. Enjoyed reliving my experiences during the process.
9. Took a computer programming class and a part time computer job to get my mind back into the swing of caffiene-induced, frenetic brain-draining work again.

Anybody else do anything specific to recompress into civilization?

Moose2001
10-06-2010, 14:28
Yeah.....quit my job at IBM and became a ski bum! :)

Spokes
10-06-2010, 14:29
Cool. Tell us more about your experience turning your journal into a book. You self-published I assume? What service did you use? Any particular lessons learned for your next novel?

Luddite
10-06-2010, 14:32

Haha nice. You got snow in the wasatch yet?

Moose2001
10-06-2010, 14:35
Haha nice. You got snow in the wasatch yet?

Not yet!! Damn I'm ready for the white stuff to fly. Counting the days until the season starts.

Deer Valley - Just won the Best Ski Resort in North America for the FOURTH year in a row. Come out and see us!

restless
10-06-2010, 14:38
Might I suggest that you contact a state or national park or forest nearby and give back to others that which others made possible for you. I'm saying find a voluteer opportunity to work on some trail and do some maintenance. Most organizations are in dire need of volunteers, and in a lot of circumstances, depend on them for trail maintenance. Without the effort of volunteers, NO ONE would be able t ohike any long trail because without volujnteer effort they would not exist.:-?

Trailbender
10-06-2010, 15:35
Yeah, I got back into college when I finished this year. Was depressed and bored for awhile. Doing something 99.9% of America couldn't do, then coming back to the daily grind kind of sucked. I hike a lot at my local trails though, and work out. I also have one day a week of getting drunk and shooting zombies in the face with a shotgun.

Danielsen
10-06-2010, 16:08
I also have one day a week of getting drunk and shooting zombies in the face with a shotgun.

Internet, or campus zombies vs. humans group? :banana

Rocket Jones
10-06-2010, 17:23
Internet, or campus zombies vs. humans group? :banana

Real life. Man, where you been? ;)

Danielsen
10-06-2010, 17:30
Sounds like I need to vacation in Virginia. :p

Pony
10-06-2010, 21:16
I mostly sat on the couch and ate a lot. Just started back to work this week, which seems weird to me. I was almost late on my second day because I forgot I was on a schedule again.

Lybarger
10-07-2010, 10:46

Aren't you from Vermont? Guess the ski opportunities are better in Utah!!!

Moose2001
10-07-2010, 10:49
Aren't you from Vermont? Guess the ski opportunities are better in Utah!!!

yeah.....moved to Utah 3 years ago. The skiing is fabulous! Miss Vermont though.....especially the fall change of leaves.

sixhusbands
10-07-2010, 11:13
my wife and I became "trail angels" , I know how much I appreciated those brownies, apples , oranges and sodas! Plus you get to encourage them along , which is what I really liked most of all.

sbhikes
10-07-2010, 11:33
I used lulu.com to self-publish my book. I actually have two trail journals as books and a third book which is of local hikes. The third book sells a lot.

I wish I could quit my job and be a ski bum, but I need money and I don't ski.

I still work part time. I like that better than full time. Leaves me time to do creative things. I think I missed doing creative things and learning and hiking the trail helped me see that I should make time in my life for that for my sanity.