PDA

View Full Version : 4 Pines Hostel for sale.

Miss Janet
12-06-2004, 09:59
JOE HAS ASKED ME TO PUT THIS ON SOME OF THE TRAIL FORUMS TO LOOK FOR A HIKER FRIENDLY BUYER.

My name is Joe Mitchell @the Four Pines Hostel and I thought you might be able to help me figure out the best way to let the hiker community know that my home,hostel, and everything else is going to be for sale. Iwould very much like to sell it to someone that would like to maintain the hostel and enjoy the hikers as I have for the last five years. I got married in August and my wife and I need to find a place that's ours and not a place where another spouse has lived. Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. Joe Mitchell

Sleepy the Arab
12-06-2004, 23:06
Please Lord, drop a couple hundred thousand on my lap.

MedicineMan
12-06-2004, 23:22
if so maybe Sgt Rock might be interested???

Pencil Pusher
12-07-2004, 00:47
Maybe formalize things a bit... get a link or something? Contact info, pics, price, etc.? You know, spending a few hundred thousand here and there isn't exactly the typical word-of-mouth sale on an internet hiking forum...

tarbubble
12-07-2004, 00:59
how much do they want?

Rain Man
12-07-2004, 11:33
Miss Janet,

In real estate, it's "location, location, location." :D

Where is this hostel? Inquiring minds want to know.
:sun
Rain Man

Blue Jay
12-07-2004, 11:48
Miss Janet,

In real estate, it's "location, location, location." :D

Where is this hostel? Inquiring minds want to know.
:sun
Rain Man

First Road crossing north of Dragon's Tooth. Great place, I'm interested.

Miss Janet
12-07-2004, 12:28
4 Pines is near Catawba, Va. and North of Pearisburg

I have stayed there a few times and from what I remember there is nice brick house on a few acres with only a few close neighbors. The hostel is in a large 3 bay garage with a shower and bathroom, and a kitchen area setup... lots of cot type bunks and a sitting area.

Here is Joe's email and he can answer your questions. [email protected]

Pencil Pusher... I am sure if you volunteered to build a website he would let you; as he is a busy newly wed with a full time job! I am sure that a real estate company, if he places it with a company soon, will have all the specs but I am sure they will not be looking for a trail friendly buyer.

A-Train
12-07-2004, 13:39
If I remember correctly you can see his place from up on the AT. Can't remember if it was from dragon's tooth or another lookout near the shelter before the road.

Didn't stay but I stopped by and the place looked really neat.

The Solemates
12-07-2004, 13:53
You can see it from Dragons Tooth. The place is awesome. This is one of my favorite valleys in all of the SE (in addition to God's Thumbprint). I visited dozens of times when I was at Virginia Tech, just 30 minutes down the road, and today I would hike from Dragons Tooth to Tinker Cliffs every weekend if I lived there and had the time. Great views.

Kerosene
12-07-2004, 15:40
You also have a nice overlook of the hostel from Rawles Rest, a rock outcropping perhaps halfway down to the road from the summit of Dragon's Tooth. Here's the picture (http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/1745/size/big/password/0/sort/1/cat/510) I took in October 2003 (note the four pines out front!).

The hostel is a third of a mile from the AT road crossing.

Pencil Pusher
12-07-2004, 18:20
I don't think one needs to build a website specifically to sell the home but I bet you could use this website to advertise. I bet there are a few photos in the photo gallery one could post as thumbnail pictures, there is a contact email... how about a price and have the owner provide perhaps a more detailed description? It's all about the presentation for a big ticket item like this. Maybe I'm wrong and hikers buy these kinds of places on a whim...

SGT Rock
12-07-2004, 19:18
I wish I could do a hostel, but after much consideration I decided that I have too many years of hiking ahead of me yet, don't want to be tied down. Maybe when I'm much older...

Miss Janet
12-22-2004, 09:36
Joe + Candi Mitchell @ 4 Pines
6164 Newport Road
Catawba, VA 24070
540-384-5090

The property has 6+ acres of cleared property. You can see Dragons Tooth and the Appalachian Trail from the slate front porch and master bedroom. The views from this property are gorgeous year round. It takes 22 minutes to travel to the center of Roanoke City and 12 minutes to drive to the Town of Salem. There is a small grocery store less than a mile away. The Homeplace Resturant is about 3 miles from this property. There is a Firehouse/Rescue Squad and Postoffice about 3 miles away also. This is a one of a kind package. The property also includes a:
Spring fed Pond
Large Garden space
3 bay detached brick Garage. Garage is equipped w/bathroom, wood stove, electric stove, refrigerator, freezer and cooking accoutrements

Home amenities

Approximately 3700 square feet of living space (excludes attached Garage)

4 Bedrooms 3 grown level (gl) + 1 lower
2 Bathrooms one per floor
Living room upper w/large rock fireplace
Dining room gl
Florida room gl w/ceramic tile
Sunroom w/Anderson windows + new carpet gl
Office w/computer hook-ups lower
2 large pantries one per floor
Huge Family room w/wood stove lower
Laundry room lower
Bonus room lower
Attached Garage ground level
New Heat Pump
New Roof
New double windows
Beautiful Oak floors
Upstairs bath (w/ceramic tile) has been updated
Kitchen is relatively new
The downstairs has new Berber carpet

Minimum bid is $300,000.00
Bids will be taken until March 1, 2005
or until be relocate, whichever comes
first.

Toolshed
12-22-2004, 16:13
What are the property taxes like?
How old is the roof, Furnace, Water Heater?
What sort of income could one expect from the operation of the hostel?
Are there any licenses required to run a hostel?

Pencil Pusher
12-23-2004, 20:22
What are the property taxes like?
How old is the roof, Furnace, Water Heater?
What sort of income could one expect from the operation of the hostel?
Are there any licenses required to run a hostel?
Sounds like you need to follow up with a personal email or phone call...

Jeff
12-24-2004, 10:24
CC's new AT video has about 30 seconds of great footage of 4 Pines. The owner Joe Mitchell is in the video grilling burgers.

squirrel bait
12-24-2004, 11:03
Kerosene I took the exact same picture I believe. I mistook Rawels Rest for Draggons Tooth at first. There are couple of huge rocks that resemble rather large teeth at Rawles Rest. I suspect those heading north don't make this mistake as they have already passed over Dragoons Tooth. You have to climb out a bit at Rawles Rest to take that shot and be rather careful. I don't remember being able to see 4 Pines hostel from farther south down the trail. I did stay at this hostel and found it clean, pleasant and quiet. I was the only goof heading south over Dragoons Tooth in July so I had the place to myself.

neo
12-24-2004, 14:36
me and my oldest son stayed here one night in june 2002,hank was 8 years old then,after hiking 18 miles that day he stayed up till 2 in the morning talking to all the thru hikers,you can see 4 pines hostel really good from dragons tooth:sun neo

Seraphim
01-08-2005, 16:40
Someone snatch this place up: it's gorgeous! I wish I had some C-notes! I wouldn't have to hike OR hitch to the Homeplace? I would be a fat, fat lady.

attroll
01-08-2005, 17:13
Heck I would love to grab it up. This is my dream. But I don't have the minimum starting bid. How about if everyone on WhiteBlaze sent me $100 and then I could by it and run it. I promise I would give you all discounts.

SGT Rock
01-08-2005, 17:38
Hey, maybe that would be the key to success. We could both move to a centeral location and get a hostel. That way we could take turns hiking while the other ran the hostel. :banana

Not having time to hike anymore was my main reason to change my mind about ever running a hostel. :cool:

attroll
01-08-2005, 19:02
Hey, maybe that would be the key to success. We could both move to a centeral location and get a hostel. That way we could take turns hiking while the other ran the hostel. :banana

Not having time to hike anymore was my main reason to change my mind about ever running a hostel. :cool:
Hey you may be onto something there Rock. But now is not a good time for me. I am broke. Just bought two brand new snowmobiles. Maybe we could find a hostel together and each take turns running it while the other is hiking every other year. Hmm. When do you retire?
:clap

SGT Rock
01-08-2005, 19:07
Probably around 2009.I saw a property about a mile from the trail in Stecoha Gap, but Fontanna is about 15 miles north and Wesser is about 10 miles south, seems like that area has enough hostels for now.

bonobo
06-24-2009, 14:04
Is the 4 Pines open this season? Also what is the name of the awesome vista near there... Hiking down there this sunday,,

Jeff
06-24-2009, 14:17
4 Pines is closed for good. It is now an alpaca farm.

Both McAfee Knob (north) and Dragons Tooth (south) are very close to the old hostel location.

RITBlake
06-24-2009, 14:33
CC's new AT video has about 30 seconds of great footage of 4 Pines. The owner Joe Mitchell is in the video grilling burgers.

who's video??

Jeff
06-24-2009, 17:29
CC = Carolina Cruiser aka Mark Flagler who produced Appalachian Impressions.

BTW This thread is from 2004/05.