PDA

View Full Version : MicroFleece Sleeping Bag

JonnyWalker
10-06-2010, 15:37
I've had this idea for awhile now whith no clue if its actually feasible or not. Instead of typical taffeta as the inside liner of sleeping bags why not use a microfleece like in the Marmot Driclime jackets? Would it leak too much down? I doubt it would add more than an ounce and would be a lot more comfortable next to the skin. Odor might be an issue though.

Danielsen
10-06-2010, 15:45
I think you'd find it adding a good bit more than an ounce, and more importantly even the thinnest microfleece is a lot less compressible and presents a greater barrier to moisture, which can make the bag less breathable while you're in it and harder to dry out if it gets damp. I have a microfleece bag that I use as a liner when it's really cold or on its own in the heat, but I don't think I would want it as a material in a down bag.

JonnyWalker
10-06-2010, 17:35
I'm not talking typical microfleece. Marmot and a few other manufacturers have a super thin version for some of their windshirts. Stuff is barely any heavier than the ripstop shell.

leaftye
10-06-2010, 21:12
Please show me this super light microfleece. I can't find it on owfinc.com, thru-hiker.com or questoutfitters.com.

I wouldn't worry about the smell. If you're thru-hiking, you're going to stink.

bigcranky
10-06-2010, 21:48
The liner in a Driclime jacket isn't a microfleece, it's more like a light synthetic base layer. The face is not smooth, so it feels a little fleecy, if that makes sense. But it's not anywhere near as thick as even 100-wt microfleece.

Hey, JW, Marmot made a whole sleeping bag out of the Driclime shell/liner material. Not sure if they still do. Might make a great summer sleeping bag.

You can buy light synthetic bag liners that would do the trick -- some of them are kinda fleecy too, and they can be washed. Some hikers love bag liners.

bigcranky
10-06-2010, 21:51
More info from the Marmot site:

DriClimeŽ 100% Polyester Lining 2.7 oz/yd (this is the knit DriClime liner inside a wind shirt.)

JonnyWalker
10-06-2010, 23:31
Oops. Judging by the look and feel of the material I assumed it used the same manufacturing process as fleece.

I like the idea of the driclime bag I'll have to look into it. Would be like a wind bivy for summer camping when you don't really need a bag in this part of virginia. A quilt would be even better. If they make 0* to 50* degree bags and everything in between why not a 9oz 60*?

Wise Old Owl
10-06-2010, 23:36
Fleeces are polyester - it is not porous unless made that way... it cannot hold a noticeable (TO A Human) odor.

Danielsen
10-07-2010, 07:34
Oops. Judging by the look and feel of the material I assumed it used the same manufacturing process as fleece.

I like the idea of the driclime bag I'll have to look into it. Would be like a wind bivy for summer camping when you don't really need a bag in this part of virginia. A quilt would be even better. If they make 0* to 50* degree bags and everything in between why not a 9oz 60*?

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___83046
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___83036

^^^ One of those might be close to what you're thinking of.

bigcranky
10-07-2010, 08:36
Fleece is a fabric knit from polyester yarns which is then brushed to separate some of the fibers and create that soft fuzzy surface. The DriClime liner fabric has a similar finish, so I suspect it's been manufactured in a similar manner. It's just a lot lighter in weight.