PDA

View Full Version : Marmot Precip Pants Question

frisbeefreek
10-06-2010, 18:38
2 questions about the Marmot Precip Pants for people that own them:

1) Are they lined? I prefer a single layer of fabric.
2) Anyone have an accurate weight for a Men's medium

REI is having a sale ($54), and I need a pair.

--Frisbee

bulldog49
10-06-2010, 19:47
Nope not lined, the weight I believed is advertised at around 8 oz, should be pretty accurate. I have a pair, never weighed them but that seems about right. I love mine.

perrito
10-06-2010, 21:58
Just an observation - Since rain pants are pretty much just going to be used when raining, why not go with a set of
DriDucks? You can pack the pants and keep the top in the car for rainy days. The set costs way less that the Precip pants and are light to boot.

Just saying...:o

frisbeefreek
10-07-2010, 00:14
I have some Driducks (big fan - I used the jacket on 2 thru's and at 6oz + $10, it's way better than my fancy heavy hot mountaineering jacket), but I need the Precip pants for off trail stuff (scrambling and bushwacking), and the Driduck fabric isn't durable enough to resist the abuse.

leaftye
10-07-2010, 01:23
What about tyvek pants? They're incredibly inexpensive. They should be more than tough enough and water resistant enough to allow water to roll off it.

rodonne1
10-08-2010, 21:50
I have a pair in the mail now, I'll let you know when they get here...

rodonne1
10-08-2010, 21:51
I'm starting to think that maybe I should have gotten the Frogg-Toggs instead though, they seem to be alot lighter.

frisbeefreek
10-12-2010, 00:08
My Precip pants are in the mail.

Rodonne - Driducks cost ~$15 at Dicks Sporting Goods for the Jacket/Pant combo. Not a big investment to try them out. I found them in the hunting section.

burntoutphilosopher
10-12-2010, 21:01
my wife LOVES her precip pants. the price is very good for the quality.

hers at 7.2 ounces. but that's womens.

leaftye
10-13-2010, 03:18
I do love my side zip Precip pants. They're heavy, but I can ventilate easily. Still, I doubt I'll carry them again on long hikes.

Philip
10-13-2010, 17:30
I like my side-zip Precips so much I routinely choose them as my hiking pants of choice even when I'm not expecting rain. They're tough enough to withstand life on the trail (with reasonable care), are water/wind proof, and multi-adjustable for ventilation. Oh and they're super-comfortable; like wearing heavy-duty wind pants/fitness suit.

I've also got a pair of Mountain Hardwear hiking pants with the zip-off legs and zippered pockets, and leave them at home, especially in the wintertime. I just wear my precips with whatever layers underneath I need. I plan to wear the Precips on my thru in 2011.

Cookerhiker
11-29-2010, 19:30
Campmor has the Precips on sale now for $59.98 in their "Super Special Deals" section. Has anyone had experience with their store-brand "Camp-Tech Storm Venture" rain pants? They're cheaper - also heavier.

Del Q
11-29-2010, 19:49
I switched to the GoLite Reed pants, lighter & I like them better than my old precip's.

frisbeefreek
11-29-2010, 20:41
For the record, I've been happy with my Precips' for the past month. They keep you dry and are comfortable (though at 9oz, I wouldn't want to pack them unless I planned on wearing them also - I use Driducks where I can).

I purchased the Precips because they are obviously more durable than the DriDucks

Cookerhiker
11-29-2010, 21:10
Thanks for the prompt replies. My current rain pants are GoLite which I've had for 7 1/2 years. The holes are getting larger and even though I rewaterproofed the pants before my last hike, they didn't keep me very dry.

Guess I'll try the Precips. The catalogue says the "average" is 7 oz.

Blissful
11-29-2010, 21:22
I had precip pants on my hike in GA. Wore them in heavy rain, Got my backseat wet with rain dripping into them. Don't know why. Not happy about that.

Rick500
11-29-2010, 22:07
I have a Precip jacket and pants. I've learned not to bother with them unless it's less than about 50F... I do also use the jacket for a windbreaker. I wouldn't be without them but I do use the pants very infrequently. Both the jacket and the pants cause me to sweat unless it's very cold.

leaftye
11-29-2010, 22:36
What about tyvek pants? They're incredibly inexpensive. They should be more than tough enough and water resistant enough to allow water to roll off it.

I just ordered a few of these. They're about $3 each. I'll be using them this winter in snow and rain. The Precip pants are heavier and bulkier than I'd like.

Driver8
11-30-2010, 00:53
Went to Dick's yesterday in search of Marmot Precips - they were advertised online as a special for $75 and a friend had recommended them. Were neither in stock nor at a nearby store. Bought instead a pair of rain pants by Field and Stream for $25 + tax. Something tells me I came out better off.