PDA

View Full Version : Denatured alcohol......

UCONNMike
12-06-2004, 11:34
where can i get some Denatured alcohol, i made my pepsi can stove, and i wanna fire this bad boy up. None of my local shops carry it, any suggestions? Plus, how easy is it to find in towns along the AT?

baseballswthrt
12-06-2004, 11:36
Hardware stores and department stores carry it in the paint department.

Anita

Moose2001
12-06-2004, 11:38
Mike...go to the gas station and buy some Heet...gasline antifreeze. It's what you'll end up burning most of the time on the trail. Make sure the bottle you buy it in is yellow. They also sell the same product in a red bottle. Anything in red is most likely isopropyl which doesn't burn as well.

neo
12-06-2004, 13:51
hey mike,i agree with moose,heet is one brand,but many other generic brands.
also called fuel line anti freeze,read the lable no matter what brand you get,you want the methal alcohol not isopropyl alcohol,about .79 cents a 12 oz bottle
at most gas service stations.i prefer it over denatured easier to find and comes in a 12 os bottle,i transfere into various size plastic soda bottles.:bse :jump :sun

Footslogger
12-06-2004, 14:14
What Moose said ....but if the Gas Station is all out check the closest NAPA or auto parts store.

'Slogger
AT 2003

neo
12-06-2004, 14:25
you can buy it at the dollar general store in trail towns .50 cents,walmart,and other store also sell this stuff.:jump

Midway Sam
12-06-2004, 16:15
I bought mine at Wal-Mart. It's in the paint department with the strippers. No, not those strippers, the chemical strippers. Blue can I believe.

Footslogger
12-06-2004, 16:20
I bought mine at Wal-Mart. It's in the paint department with the strippers. No, not those strippers, the chemical strippers. Blue can I believe.===============================
I got some there too but think you have to buy it by the quart ...correct ?? That's OK for a home based supply but when you're on the trail a 32oz container is more than you can handle, unless several hikers go in on the purchase. That's what's nice about the HEET. Comes in a 12oz container. Unfortunately is't not resealable so you need another container to carry it. I got an oval plastic 10 oz booze flask. I fill my stove (Trangia) and then dump the rest in my flask.

'Slogger
AT 2003

UCONNMike
12-06-2004, 17:54
thanks a bunch guys, i was able to find some in the hardware store, and it was right where you said it would be. I posted a few pics of my stove in action, i dedicate them to you!

Midway Sam
12-07-2004, 09:40
===============================
I got some there too but think you have to buy it by the quart ...correct ?? That's OK for a home based supply but when you're on the trail a 32oz container is more than you can handle, unless several hikers go in on the purchase. That's what's nice about the HEET. Comes in a 12oz container. Unfortunately is't not resealable so you need another container to carry it. I got an oval plastic 10 oz booze flask. I fill my stove (Trangia) and then dump the rest in my flask.

'Slogger
AT 2003
Well, yeah you have to buy the whole can, but as far as I know, you don't have to CARRY the whole can with you. I just pour what I need from the blue metal quart can into a well marked 20oz plastic bottle (of the Aquafina variety) and carry that. A buddy of mine who is a pretty smart dude uses an old Act mouthwash bottle to carry his. The neat thing about the Act bottle is that it has this little "squeeze to fill resevoir" thingy that you can use to measure the amount of alcohol to dispense.

weary
12-07-2004, 16:19
where can i get some Denatured alcohol, i made my pepsi can stove, and i wanna fire this bad boy up. None of my local shops carry it, any suggestions? Plus, how easy is it to find in towns along the AT?

I can't imagine a hardware store not carrying denatured alcohol. Look in paints under shellac thinner. Most HEET and other gas line anti-freeze things are also nothing but denatured alcohol. Be sure to read the labels before making a purchase, but the stuff is readily available almost every where in my experience. The last time a checked the price at TrueValue hardware stores was cheaper than the price at Walmart, though the difference is pretty small.

Weary