PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to get any kind of sealant for my new boots and new tent?

rodonne1
10-08-2010, 01:43
Hey guys,
I'm new to WB and was hoping some of you veteran backpackers could give me some advise. I'm doing a 5 day trip on the A.T. in about 3 weeks and recently went out and replaced some of my old camping equipment that was from the early '90's. I was wondering in regards to my new Asolo FSN 95's and my fiancee's Asolo Styngers, both are Goretex, should I get any kind of spray on leather and seam sealer for them before I get them dirty? Also, I purchased at REI a Quarter Dome T2 tent, should I get any kind of seam sealer for it while it's still new and clean? Thanks in advance for any input. -Robbie

IronGutsTommy
10-08-2010, 01:49
hey welcome..i think most would definitely suggest pitching your tent in your yard and applying sealant to all the seams as very few tents are completely waterproof. id treat the boots as well though they should be waterproofed if theyre goretex. couldnt hurt tho. i seal all my footwear and hats upon purchase, sure stretches the life out of a hat

Helios
10-08-2010, 02:10
Silnet, or some form of sealant for your tent is a must. Even if the manufacture says the seams have been sealed. Doesn't cost much, or take long to do. Way better than waking up in a leaky tent and thinking "damn, I shoulda sealed this thing!" :-)

Toolshed
10-08-2010, 03:50
You don't need to do anything with either. The tent is already seam-sealed (Hot-taped) from the manufacturer. just practice setting it up and then decide if you want to use a groundcloth.
As for the boots, you need the leather to breath since you have a gore-tex inner liner. So you don't really need to treat the leather. What I would do, though is get cranking and start putting some miles on the boots (gradually, of course) IF they are full grain leather, 3 weeks isn't really a lot of time in order to break in new boots before a backpacking trip. If they are split grain leather, your break-in should be a bit easier.

Good luck

garlic08
10-08-2010, 09:27
You don't need to do anything with either.

Ditto this.

4shot
10-08-2010, 09:51
You don't need to do anything with either.

I swapped out my 2 person MSR Hubba for a lighter tent in Gatlinburg. Tent was from a very reputable maker (a brand that you see alot of on the trail) and I ordered it and asked that it be seam sealed prior to shipping so I wouldn't have to worry about it. To make a long story short, it had a very minor leak during periods of heavy rain. I had to apply seam sealer twice myself on the trail to get it from leaking (I consulted with the owner before doing it the second time as I was a little frustrated at the time).Leak was very minor but still a nuisance. I expect to be dry in my tent.My second application finally resolved the issue. I would recommend seam sealing it yourself in addition to whatever the mfr. did.

I wore the same boots you did. They were waterproof out of the box. I got almost 900 miles out of mine - best pair of boots I wore and I went thru 4 pair (each different as I bought as I went). However the "waterproof" feature certainly didn't last nearly that long (they never did and I went with Goretex the entire trip) although my feet were certainly dry in the beginning and probably for the first 500 miles or so

rodonne1
10-08-2010, 10:01
Thanks alot for the feedback guys...

rodonne1
10-08-2010, 10:03
By the way, yes, I did get the footprint with the tent and plan on using it at all times; if for nothing else, to extend the life of the floor in the tent. Thanks again!

mykl
10-08-2010, 11:01
I swapped out my 2 person MSR Hubba for a lighter tent in Gatlinburg. Tent was from a very reputable maker (a brand that you see alot of on the trail)
Who's the mystery maker?

Toolshed
10-08-2010, 12:00
I swapped out my 2 person MSR Hubba for a lighter tent in Gatlinburg. Tent was from a very reputable maker (a brand that you see alot of on the trail) and I ordered it and asked that it be seam sealed prior to shipping so I wouldn't have to worry about it. To make a long story short, it had a very minor leak during periods of heavy rain. I had to apply seam sealer twice myself on the trail to get it from leaking (I consulted with the owner before doing it the second time as I was a little frustrated at the time).Leak was very minor but still a nuisance. I expect to be dry in my tent.My second application finally resolved the issue. I would recommend seam sealing it yourself in addition to whatever the mfr. did.
If you went from Hubba to a lighter brand "that you see a lot of on the trail", it sounds to me like you quite possibly made a move to a silnylon tarptent.
If that is the case, then it's apples and oranges - With sylnylon designs, you need to check the seams and usually seam seal. With the Coated Nylon Quarterdome, it is not a sylnylon tent and it is not from a cottage manufacturer. The seams have been hot taped and nothing else needs to be done.
If you didn't get a sylnylon thent, then I am very curious to know what tent manufacturer does not hot tape their seams....?

skinewmexico
10-08-2010, 12:15
Who's the mystery maker?

If he called and talked to the owner, that should tell you within 2-4 companies.

mykl
10-08-2010, 13:26
If he called and talked to the owner, that should tell you within 2-4 companies.
I really don't know who he called and/or talked to. He didn't mention that.

brotheral
10-08-2010, 14:31
Gore-tex has absolutely nothing to do with making the leather or synthetic outer material of your boots water repellant or waterproof. It's a membrane under the leather. Once the leather is soaking wet, the boot is no longer breathable... Your boot is soaking wet and heavy too. This draws warmth away from your foot. Find out the best all around waterproofing treatment for your particular boots and use it....

4shot
10-08-2010, 14:42
If you went from Hubba to a lighter brand "that you see a lot of on the trail", it sounds to me like you quite possibly made a move to a silnylon tarptent.
If that is the case, then it's apples and oranges - With sylnylon designs, you need to check the seams and usually seam seal. With the Coated Nylon Quarterdome, it is not a sylnylon tent and it is not from a cottage manufacturer. The seams have been hot taped and nothing else needs to be done.
If you didn't get a sylnylon thent, then I am very curious to know what tent manufacturer does not hot tape their seams....?

on both points. Yes, it was a silnylon tarptent and yes, it is " apples and oranges" and perhaps overkill but I have always set up my tents in the yard and seam sealed them before taking them in the woods regardless of the manufacturer. Force of habit I guess from some really crappy tents back in my boy scout days I guess.

Toolshed
10-08-2010, 16:06
on both points. Yes, it was a silnylon tarptent and yes, it is " apples and oranges" and perhaps overkill but I have always set up my tents in the yard and seam sealed them before taking them in the woods regardless of the manufacturer. Force of habit I guess from some really crappy tents back in my boy scout days I guess.
LOL.... I remember those tents. Even worse - In the army - "don't touch the canvas wall in a rainstorm" Well you know what we all do. reach over our heads and touch the spot nearest us... DOH!!!!:D

leaftye
10-08-2010, 17:59
I personally wouldn't bother treating the leather of the FSN95. I do treat the leather of goretex boots, but the pattern of the FSN95 is complex enough to make applying any kind of goop a pita.

rodonne1
10-08-2010, 21:42
Thanks for all the feedback guys!

rodonne1
10-08-2010, 21:42
I guess I won't seal either one and wait and see how they hold up on their own...

icemanat95
10-14-2010, 22:50
You don't need to do anything additional. That said, hiking boots and tents are hard wear items. I would strongly consider seam sealing the exterior seams of the tent, which will prevent water from wicking into the stitching....it may not get through the inner seam tapes, but it can still saturate the thread and make it more vulnerable to wear, mold, mildew, etc.

I also have begun applying seam grip to the exposed seams of my boots, and around the welt. Again, it keeps the thread from soaking up too much water, but also protects the threads of the stitching from abrasion,

Remember that the Goretex bootie is inside the boot shell, so the outer shell, be it leather or fabric can still absorb water. Treating the shell material with appropriate treatments may prolong the life of the boot.

Tinker
10-15-2010, 09:16
I guess I won't seal either one and wait and see how they hold up on their own...

Smart move. If it ain't brok, don't fix it. :)

Texico
10-15-2010, 21:51
I would recommend using something to treat the boots every once in a while. The leather and materials in the uppers can and will absorb water eventually. One of the problems with most footwear right now is that the goretex bootie inside is NOT seam sealed, so if the uppers get wet eventually the goretex will start leaking. I use Nikwax to treat all of my shoes. It waterproofs the uppers and also conditions the leather, and it still allows the leather to "breathe" (unlike snoseal).