PDA

View Full Version : Photo Journal

Rooster_2010
10-08-2010, 02:17
Hey all,

I recently completed my north bound thru hike. I kept a photo journal on my blog, check it out if you like.

http://benbenvieblog.com/

Ben aka Rooster

camojack
10-08-2010, 04:10
Hey all,

I recently completed my north bound thru hike. I kept a photo journal on my blog, check it out if you like.

Ben aka Rooster
WOW!!! I think I'll go and delete my entire gallery now. :(

Seriously, excellent photography; way better than my little digital Vivitar could ever aspire to... :-?

Helios
10-08-2010, 06:21
Impresive photography! Thanks for sharing!

C Seeker
10-08-2010, 07:22
Those are great photos, thumbs up to them! You may want to look into selling them for a side job.

obscura
10-08-2010, 07:41
I've been following your photos throughout the year. Pleased to see the final installment.

Your photos are AWESOME!

Buzz Saw
10-08-2010, 08:13
With my hike still 6 months away your killing me. Just beautiful, thanks I'm even more motivated today to complete the journey, because of your picture, than I was yesterday.

jersey joe
10-08-2010, 08:32
Hey all,

Ben aka Rooster
Sweet pictures Rooster!

Hoppin John
10-08-2010, 09:15
What kind of camera are you taking on the trali?

Thanks

1forcamping
10-08-2010, 11:11
Hey all,

Ben aka Rooster

Absolutely awsome. :)
Just looking at the pictures is getting me pumped for the hike.
I can't wait now. :D

Rooster_2010
10-08-2010, 11:18
What kind of camera are you taking on the trali?

Thanks

I carry a Canon 5d Mark II with a 35mm 1.4 lens (no flash).

jmhouse
10-08-2010, 11:27

That was going to be my question. I knew it had to be a 1.8 or 1.4 lens for the portraits, but wasn't sure if you had any other lenses. Great photos!

MkBibble
10-08-2010, 12:16
WOW! just wow...

Pedaling Fool
10-08-2010, 13:00
A true professional.

Luddite
10-08-2010, 13:09
Congrats on the thru-hike. Great pictures. How did you take that one of Katahdin with the stars out like that?

scottgoingwild
10-08-2010, 13:25
nice just what i needed to keep getting in shape for spring thank you

ashevillain
10-08-2010, 13:33

Some of your shots seem impossible without a tripod....did you carry a tripod (or a monopod) as well?

Pony
10-08-2010, 14:03
Man, my pictures suck. Seriously I'm just going to show those to friends and say I took them. :D

Just Plain Jim
10-08-2010, 14:19
What great photography. My pictures? Oh well! :rolleyes:

Rooster_2010
10-08-2010, 16:00
Some of your shots seem impossible without a tripod....did you carry a tripod (or a monopod) as well?

I carried a little tripod (Gorillapod) for the 100 mile wilderness only. I used it for 2 photos, the one of Katahdin at night and the self portrait of Snow White and myself. Most of the time I just set my camera down on a rock, the ground or the floor of a shelter. Always with the timer and mirror lock up.

Pringles
10-08-2010, 19:06
Incredibly beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

Pringles

BrianLe
10-08-2010, 21:03
Hey Rooster, glad to see that you and Snow White got back on and finished as planned. I passed this on to Lucky and Lumbar; last I heard, Lumbar also got back on to pick up Maine.

You do indeed put us "point and shoot" types completely to shame. I hope there's some more distance hiking in your future.

1forcamping
10-08-2010, 23:49
I carried a little tripod (Gorillapod) for the 100 mile wilderness only. I used it for 2 photos, the one of Katahdin at night and the self portrait of Snow White and myself. Most of the time I just set my camera down on a rock, the ground or the floor of a shelter. Always with the timer and mirror lock up.

Cool. I was thinking about getting the Gorillapod, but wasn't sure if it would really support a DSLR. Now I know. :)

By the way I don't know if anyone has tried this or not, but I had an idea for a set of trek poles that could connect to a monopod with a ball head. The idea is that you could have the benefits of a full tripod and trek poles, without having to carry both.

Do you think something like that would be practical for a thru hike, or would it just be easier to stick with a Gorillapod?

Rooster_2010
10-09-2010, 00:00
Cool. I was thinking about getting the Gorillapod, but wasn't sure if it would really support a DSLR. Now I know. :)

By the way I don't know if anyone has tried this or not, but I had an idea for a set of trek poles that could connect to a monopod with a ball head. The idea is that you could have the benefits of a full tripod and trek poles, without having to carry both.

Do you think something like that would be practical for a thru hike, or would it just be easier to stick with a Gorillapod?

Honestly, I probably wouldn't carry either. I only used it for those two photos because I had it, I could have taken then without it. Even a Gorrilapod weighs 1 lb and a decent ball head probably weighs more. Most of the time in the wilderness I was to lazy to take it out. I guess if you don't mind the weight of have lots of time to kill, go for it.

Rooster_2010
10-09-2010, 00:04
Hey Rooster, glad to see that you and Snow White got back on and finished as planned. I passed this on to Lucky and Lumbar; last I heard, Lumbar also got back on to pick up Maine.

You do indeed put us "point and shoot" types completely to shame. I hope there's some more distance hiking in your future.

Hey Gadget! Nice to here from you. I actually was at Pine Ellis the day your thank you card showed up, so I was able to see your summit photo! PCT in 2012 if all goes well.

1forcamping
10-09-2010, 00:22
Honestly, I probably wouldn't carry either. I only used it for those two photos because I had it, I could have taken then without it. Even a Gorrilapod weighs 1 lb and a decent ball head probably weighs more. Most of the time in the wilderness I was to lazy to take it out. I guess if you don't mind the weight of have lots of time to kill, go for it.

Thanks for the info. :)

Powder River
10-09-2010, 01:16
AMAZING pictures. I just stayed up way past my bedtime looking at your entire collection. The quality is really amazing.

OldFeet
10-12-2010, 08:35
Truly outstanding photos Rooster. You really captured the spirit of the trail and my wife and I enjoyed following your journey.

v5planet
10-13-2010, 10:45

I carried a gorilla pod for my entire thruhike too, also carrying a dslr. I'm not sure I would recommend it; I only used it a couple times myself, even after forcing myself to carry it on the outside of my pack to encourage more frequent use.

As to how well it balances with the dslr on it - this is probably going to depend more on your lens than the camera itself. Any big zoom is probably going to topple the giant because the weight is distended so far from where the camera is attached to the gorilla pod. I found this to be a problem even with a small 35mm prime lens. The most balanced positions you can find are ones you could probably get away with using a rock for anyway -- as soon as you try strapping that puppy to a tree, as advertised, you're going to have to get a bit creative to prevent it from slipping off.

2 cents.

1forcamping
10-17-2010, 21:58
I carried a gorilla pod for my entire thruhike too, also carrying a dslr. I'm not sure I would recommend it; I only used it a couple times myself, even after forcing myself to carry it on the outside of my pack to encourage more frequent use.

As to how well it balances with the dslr on it - this is probably going to depend more on your lens than the camera itself. Any big zoom is probably going to topple the giant because the weight is distended so far from where the camera is attached to the gorilla pod. I found this to be a problem even with a small 35mm prime lens. The most balanced positions you can find are ones you could probably get away with using a rock for anyway -- as soon as you try strapping that puppy to a tree, as advertised, you're going to have to get a bit creative to prevent it from slipping off.

2 cents.

Thanks for the warning. :)

FleetPotatoes
11-21-2010, 02:44
Snowplow,
Thanks so much for these pictures. All these hiker portraits are completely fascinating. Amazing to me that you hauled that weight in gear, and that it still worked at the end.
-Sweet Potatoes

alverhootzt
11-21-2010, 13:38
Yeah. wow. Thanks a million for sharing them. What a difference when they're done by a professional!

BrianLe
12-09-2010, 14:13
FYI, a few of Rooster's photos are in the latest (Nov-Dec 2010) issue of the "A.T. Journeys" magazine, pages 19 - 21.

on_the_GOEZ
12-09-2010, 15:30
FYI, a few of Rooster's photos are in the latest (Nov-Dec 2010) issue of the "A.T. Journeys" magazine, pages 19 - 21.
i knew i recognized them from somewhere! great job rooster! was your mom worried? 8)

Sassafras Lass
12-18-2010, 19:14
Holy smokes. Your photos really moved me - you captured the beauty and emotion of it all perfectly. I only wish I had the money for my D700 and some nice glass AND the trail :( There's just nothing like the quality of full-frame with a fast lens - I hope you continue hiking with your gear!

Ol Mole
12-19-2010, 08:18
Best trail pics I've ever seen, please continue to share your magic.

Del Q
12-19-2010, 12:04
Rooster 2010 - that is clearly a WOW!!

If you are ever in Philly, dinner is on me.

Nice way to spend a Sunday morning, awesome pics.......................

crazystick
01-03-2011, 15:44
Your pictures are amazing, I will be a northbound thru hiker in 2011 and am of course itching to get out on the trail. Your pictures are a great thing for me to see right now. I am really enjoying looking through them. VERY good.

jdb
01-03-2011, 17:24
Amazing Pictures!

Thanks For Sharing.