View Full Version : "The Appalachian Trail; an Aerial View"

veteran
12-06-2004, 12:20
For trail fans, a birds eye view.

Article from MaineToday.com:

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/audience/stories/041205booksq&a.shtml#top

The Solemates
12-06-2004, 12:30
Interesting. But isnt flying over the Smokies and SNP illegal b/c of noise pollution. I thought NPs were no-fly zones.

Lone Wolf
12-06-2004, 12:40
NPs no fly zones? You ever see all the planes and choppers flying all around the Grand Canyon? That park is a freakin zoo.

The Solemates
12-06-2004, 12:48
well true, but they have special licenses i presume. thats just what ive always heard the rangers in GSMNP always say, but who actually follows it is another question...

Kerosene
12-06-2004, 13:15
Interesting. But isnt flying over the Smokies and SNP illegal b/c of noise pollution. I thought NPs were no-fly zones.Tell that to the fighter jocks who buzzed me as the rocketed over an SNP ridgeline in their F-18s at what seemed like only a few hundred feet!

Rain Man
12-06-2004, 15:02
I just saw this book at REI on Friday. It was put on my Christmast list on Saturday. On Sunday my daughter who works at REI in Colorado Springs said she was getting it for me (though she has to order it, REI has no AT stuff out west!)!

It looked great and almost exactly what I'd been wishing for, next to actually flying over the portions of the AT that I have hiked. I'd love to see from above the steepness of the trail, what's just over the ridge line, et cetera, from a bird's eye view!

Now I can't wait till Christmas!!!!!
:sun
Rain Man

hacksaw
12-17-2004, 00:45
There was a nice piece on this book in the Sunday paper in Atlanta last week. It went on my Christmas list too!

Only places around the AT that I know of that have ANY type of overfly restrictions are the FAA towers and a couple of military reservations. And, I don't think you would have heard a piper super cub overfly you unless the pilot wanted you to.

Tha Wookie
12-17-2004, 01:52
NPs no fly zones? You ever see all the planes and choppers flying all around the Grand Canyon? That park is a freakin zoo.

I'm friends with the district Backcountry Ranger at Zion NP, and she said there are "no-fly" zones, but they are really unenforcable "recommendations," at least there. They do report the plannes to the FAA, and they get warned that they're not welcome. I'd hate to be in a canyon with a chopper overhead. That would hurt!

zenribbits
12-17-2004, 03:07
I just saw this book at REI on Friday. It was put on my Christmast list on Saturday. On Sunday my daughter who works at REI in Colorado Springs said she was getting it for me (though she has to order it, REI has no AT stuff out west!)!
Nobody seems to keep AT stuff in stock out here. In fact, most people (outside of the outfitting stores) i talk to have that glazed look in their eye when I mention it. I am not really sure why this surprises me, but it does.

Rain Man
12-17-2004, 11:22
Nobody seems to keep AT stuff in stock out here....

Now she tells me that the REI in Colorado Springs doesn't carry the MSR Titan Kettle either (also on my Christmas list). I'm startin' to wonder if she's pulling my leg!

Well, ZR, I'll be in your fair city in less than a week, fer a Christmas with wife's family there.
Rain Man

treetrunks
12-17-2004, 11:56
This book can be purchased from the ATC store.

Jack Tarlin
12-17-2004, 17:33
Kerosene:

With no disrespect meant, the fighter jocks who alledgedly buzzed you in F-18's were most likely Air National Guardsmen getting their flight time in.

These guys spend some of their weekends and two weeks every summer practicing how to defend their country so that people like you and me can spend our weekends and summers hiking.

Many of these men and women are now serving their country overseas, and some of them have died in the process.

When I see a military aircraft overhead, the first thing that comes to my mind is not surprise or resentment.

It is, instead, thanks.

zenribbits
12-17-2004, 17:33
Now she tells me that the REI in Colorado Springs doesn't carry the MSR Titan Kettle either (also on my Christmas list). I'm startin' to wonder if she's pulling my leg!

Well, ZR, I'll be in your fair city in less than a week, fer a Christmas with wife's family there.
Rain Man

.Ahh Christmas in the springs!! The peak is dusted and temps are projected to be exceptional. You should still be able to enjoy a trail or two and then hit the REI garage sale sometime around the New Year. I wish you safe journeys and a very happy Christmas gathering. Mana and I will be spending Christmas morning with her family, then off to the Land of Lincoln<ST1:p for my side. :)

I was in REI a couple of weeks ago looking for new cooking equipment. They don't have much in the way of camp cooking. They do have several versions of the same cookset (3,5,7 peices). but only three different brands. This is how most of the store is set up. I have found a much larger selection of cooking equpment at Champaign Surplus in Champaign Illinois than I have at our local REI. In all fairness though, they do have a decent selection of winter sport gear while champaign doesn't. I have just assumed that the local attractions were the reason for each of the two stores inventories. I would be very interested on your impression of the differences between our REI and the ones local to your home location.:-?

Kerosene
12-17-2004, 18:29
Kerosene:

With no disrespect meant, the fighter jocks who alledgedly buzzed you in F-18's were most likely Air National Guardsmen getting their flight time in.

These guys spend some of their weekends and two weeks every summer practicing how to defend their country so that people like you and me can spend our weekends and summers hiking.

Many of these men and women are now serving their country overseas, and some of them have died in the process.

When I see a military aircraft overhead, the first thing that comes to my mind is not surprise or resentment.

It is, instead, thanks.Hey, it didn't bother me (I love fighter jets), it just got my heart rate up a bit fast!

WalkinHome
12-17-2004, 19:27
Hi Guys,

With a few exceptions, much of the public lands (in Maine anyways) are designated as MOAs or Military Operating Areas for aircraft of all types. They have certain ceilings and restrictions but those can be waived if you do the appropriate paperwork (takes about a year if you are slow like me) so don't be surprised to be looking "down" on some fast movers sometime.