PDA

View Full Version : How to soften Tyvek

NorseWoman
10-08-2010, 20:58
I washed my new Tyvek twice in washing machine and it has not softened
What am I not doing? Hot or cold water? Do I need to crinkle it up by hand first?
any suggestions would be appreciated
NorseWoman

Luddite
10-08-2010, 21:23
I never even knew it was possible to soften Tyvek.

10-K
10-08-2010, 21:26
It'll soften pretty quickly as you use it if you've washed it a few times.

Luddite
10-08-2010, 21:27
How do you wash it? Hot water?

10-K
10-08-2010, 21:33
Just put in the washer (without soap of course) and run it through a few cycles.

I just used whatever setting was already set - probably warm wash, cold rinse.

springerfever
10-08-2010, 21:36
Just get out and use it. I put the print side down under my tent and in the morning fold the dirty sides inward. In six months of use, I think I've washed it once in cold water. After taking out of washer just hang it over a rail or lawn chair. Make sure to put something on top to keep it from blowing away (first hand experience)!

George
10-08-2010, 21:45
put it on a clothes line for about a week

Phreak
10-08-2010, 22:15
I find it softens quicker if you do crinkle it up before washing. My current Tyvek ground cloth is extremely soft and doesn't make a sound when being used.

skinewmexico
10-08-2010, 22:20
Throw a pair of tennis shoes in with it in the washer. But it works really well to just crumple it all by hand.

Dogwood
10-08-2010, 23:21
Get out, use it, dirty it up, wash it. It will soften up. This is what happens in short course - My current Tyvek ground cloth is extremely soft and doesn't make a sound when being used.

Just DO NOT dry it too long in a hot dryer or it might become brittle, stiff, and shrink up DRASTICALLY! Best to dry it on low heat or air dry.

Torch09
10-09-2010, 05:58
If you don't mind the sound, I've found that putting it under the sheets on your bed and just sleeping on it for a few weeks before using it will soften it with no effort. Or you can wad it up and stick it under the sofa cushions, possibly taking it out and re-wadding it every day or so.

NorseWoman
10-09-2010, 06:12
Thanks all
NorseWoman

mweinstone
10-09-2010, 06:28
T is for tired cause the noise kept me up.
Y is for i cant stop yawning cause it kept me up ...so loud,...ooh.
V is for vhy? vhy oh god ?! vhy did i bring tyvec? vhy?!
E is for ensolite ensolitem ensolite god for a peice of old ensolite i need quiet!!!!!!!
K is for,...k,....im out. goin home.....screw maine and georgia!

lol.

Blue Jay
10-09-2010, 09:39
Vhy did you get up so early?

4eyedbuzzard
10-09-2010, 09:51
There are many different types of "Tyvek" http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek/en_US/products/tyvek_styles/product_type.html. The stuff used for weatherproofing homes is much coarser / stiffer and will never soften as much as other types like the "soft structure" kind used for clothing, shipping bags etc. There are some people on eBay who sell smaller quantities of the softer material.

Spokes
10-09-2010, 10:23

Just DO NOT dry it too long in a hot dryer or it might become brittle, stiff, and shrink up DRASTICALLY! Best to dry it on low heat or air dry.

Yikes!!!!!! I say don't even get it near a dryer. Just took me one time to learn that lesson.

Luddite
10-09-2010, 17:17
I just wrinkled mine up a couple of times and now its nice and quiet.

kayak karl
10-09-2010, 18:18
if you have a small piece, burn it. you only need to see it burn once to know the danger of it being near fire.

atraildreamer
10-10-2010, 17:27
put it on a clothes line for about a week

I read somewhere that Tyvek house wrap will deteriorate in about thirty days of exposure to the UV radiation of sunlight. :sun The softening is probably due to the breakdown and weakening of the material. :eek:

Phreak
10-10-2010, 18:42
I read somewhere that Tyvek house wrap will deteriorate in about thirty days of exposure to the UV radiation of sunlight. :sun The softening is probably due to the breakdown and weakening of the material. :eek:
I dunno. My current tyvek ground cloth has been in use for over 5.5 years now and still going strong.

4eyedbuzzard
10-10-2010, 19:21

I'd have to disagree. I've seen it hold up fine when left exposed on the sides of houses for many years. In fact, up here in NH and VT it's called "North Country" siding. ;)

kayak karl
10-10-2010, 19:37
I'd have to disagree. I've seen it hold up fine when left exposed on the sides of houses for many years. In fact, up here in NH and VT it's called "North Country" siding. ;)
its just a warranty issue. the logo fades so they can tell how long you left it exposed. this is the reason people think writing should be to the weather for it to work.

3. DuPont requires that DuPont™ Tyvek® HomeWrap®, DuPont™ Tyvek® StuccoWrap®, DuPont™ Tyvek® DrainWrap™ and
DuPont™ Tyvek® ThermaWrap™ be covered within 4 months (120 days) of its installation. DuPont™ Tyvek®
CommercialWrap® must be covered within 9 months (270 days) of its installation.
http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek_Weatherization/en_US/assets/downloads/InstallGuideWRB_K16282.pdf