PDA

View Full Version : Foothills Trail Campsite

A.T. Hiker
10-08-2010, 21:55
Can anyone recommend a good campsite between Sassafras Mt. and Table Rock SP. I am starting at Gorges SP and my last night will be somewhere in this section. I have all the other nights sites figured out but this section does not really list any sites.

The Solemates
10-08-2010, 23:13
Can anyone recommend a good campsite between Sassafras Mt. and Table Rock SP. I am starting at Gorges SP and my last night will be somewhere in this section. I have all the other nights sites figured out but this section does not really list any sites.

thats because there aren't hardly any. we've stayed near pinnacle before in an open spot, but there aint no water. you'll have to carry it in.

Dogwood
10-08-2010, 23:53
You are going to have to check the Foothills Tr Guidebook to make sure I have this correct as I don't have current access to the Foothills Tr Guidebook/Trail Description or Foothills Tr map, but yes there is a good flat campsite near, I believe, what is called Hickorynut Gap about 8 miles in from the Table Rock SP Foothills TH going from east to west. I believe it was a settler's old homesite by the name of Cantrell. There is not much left there. It's not far from a trail junction. Again, I'm trying to recall this from memory. I brought water from Carrick Creek(near the Table Rock SP Nature Center) to the campsite(last time I went from east to west), but when I got to the campsite some other campers showed me where a SMALL spring was located just a few hundred feet into the woods near the campsite/old homesite. I've been told the spring does dry up and it's easy to miss. Just remember it's only a few hundred feet into the woods at the campsite. This may be the same place The Solemates are describing. Staying at the Cantrell site on your last night would make for a short almost totally downhill final day into Table Rock SP!

I would not recommend you stay in the vicinity of Sassafras Mountain because there is an access road that goes to the summit, there is an antenna that's serviced there, and it's frequented by party goers. It's also a destination pt because it's the highest summit in SC. There is no water near the summit of Mt Sassafras that I can recall. It's also rather choked with brambles.

BIG TIGER
10-09-2010, 06:27
There Is water before Drawbar Cliffs/Litehouse. A group of us 4 will be doing FT starting on the 22 Oct.
Ron

A.T. Hiker
10-09-2010, 23:53
Thanks Dogwood I do not have a Foothills Guide but I do have a Foothills map. I have Johnny Malloy Longtrails book but it does not cover this section. I will try and locate this site from your description ,it should be about 2 miles from Sassafrass mt. I agree I do not want to camp near any road crossings or party areas.

Mountain Dog
11-01-2010, 13:38
Just north of Hickory mountain peak and about 8.3-8.6 miles west of Table Rock is John L. Cantrell's old homesite. It is on the south side of the trail. It is an excellent place to camp. Three of us (three tents) camped there a couple of week ago. People have built elaborate rock chairs and there was a small source of water about 150 feet past the chairs. The spring came out at the base of a tree. There was plenty of water but it was hard to find. The stream bed is very distinct down stream although it was dry when I was there. There is no stream bet up from the springhead. It is 1.1 miles east of the Sasfrass mountain parking lot. Hope this post is not too late to help.

StorminMormon
11-01-2010, 15:05
Thanks Dogwood I do not have a Foothills Guide but I do have a Foothills map. I have Johnny Malloy Longtrails book but it does not cover this section. I will try and locate this site from your description ,it should be about 2 miles from Sassafrass mt. I agree I do not want to camp near any road crossings or party areas.

Get the Guide...it's fantastic! I got spoiled hiking on the Foothills because the guide and map were so well made.