PDA

View Full Version : Z Lite or RidgeRest

12ax7
10-08-2010, 23:25
I need some advice on a new pad. i have always used the old OD mil pad for years. and before that , no pad. lol. I am now looking for a new style pad for both hammock and ground. any help wud be greatly appreciated .. jim.

hallelujahjafar
10-10-2010, 18:49
Not sure if you are refined to those two choices, but I do have a Ridgerest. I haven't found any reason not to like it. I can't say much for its warmth in colder conditions, but I find it reasonably comfortable.

I haven't tried it in my hammock yet though.

snorz
10-10-2010, 21:45
I like my ridgerest.Not too much comfort but enough insulation for temps down to 20?I keep mine outside but wrapped in plastic.Very light&trouble free.

Mocs123
10-11-2010, 12:08
I have both and can say that:

The Ridgerest is:
1. Warmer
2. More Comfortable
3. Longer Lasting
4. Cheaper

The Z Lite is:
1. More Compact

Another thing to consider if you are using the pad for a pack frame is the Ridgerest is best used "burrito" style while the Z Lite can be folded up and put in a pad pocked easier.

12ax7
10-11-2010, 22:51
I have both and can say that:

The Ridgerest is:
1. Warmer
2. More Comfortable
3. Longer Lasting
4. Cheaper

The Z Lite is:
1. More Compact

Another thing to consider if you are using the pad for a pack frame is the Ridgerest is best used "burrito" style while the Z Lite can be folded up and put in a pad pocked easier.

thank you for that info, that really helps. i am still looking. i have to order everything online. no outfitters near here that i know of. unless blue ridge is still down in knoxville. heading to SNP next month and wuz looking for a new pad.. tnx again. jim

JRiker
10-11-2010, 23:27
As far as a hammock goes, i don't use a pad. but for on the ground, i prefer the z-lite. more compact, folds up as a good frame on my Conduit pack. my z-lite is cut down though, not full length anymore.

on the ground i actually use a prolite short with the z-lite underneath my feet and legs. not for everyone but after trial and error it's what works for me. i use the z-lite as a sitpad around camp too, works great.

Iceaxe
10-13-2010, 21:55
This is going to seem totally random.. bear with me, I'm from California!
If you look carefully at the movie Starship Troopers, the scene where they are training with the rifles.. Check out all the barricades are covered in ridgerest material!
Anyhow I used a ridge rest for 5600 miles of trails. It doubled as a frame for my frameless backpacks as well as my ground insulation. Mine was a 3/4 length but cut down to an hourglass shape (wider at the shoulders and hips. and weighed 6 ounces.
Anyhow things I liked:
Made in U.S.A.
A single ridge rest lasted an entire thru hike.
Rigid enough to act as a foam frame for my pack.
Durable as all hell.
Cheap
Things I didn't like:
Sweaty feeling if used against bare skin.
Not compressible(but this was a bonus since i used it as support for my frameless pack)
:sun