PDA

View Full Version : Blue Ridge

whywoogy
10-09-2010, 17:12
I am headed to Blue Ridge in December. Where is the nearest Appalachian Trail access? I am hoping to hit the trail while I am there.

Cookerhiker
10-09-2010, 17:24
When you say "Blue Ridge," I presume you're referring to the part of the Trail from just north of Roanoke (where it crosses I-81 in Daleville) to Harpers Ferry. For most of this stretch, the Trail parallels first the Blue Ridge Parkway and next Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park.

Is Florida your starting point? The southernmost AT point on the "Blue Ridge" is the first road crossing on the Parkway - Blackhorse Gap which is located at Mile 97.7 of the Parkway. Find your way to Roanoke and follow a standard road map to the BRP. Now if you're driving straight up I-95, you may want to take I-64 at Richmond west to Charlottesville and beyond where the Trail intersects 64 at Rockfish Gap, the southernmost point of SNP.

whywoogy
10-09-2010, 17:27
When you say "Blue Ridge," I presume you're referring to the part of the Trail from just north of Roanoke (where it crosses I-81 in Daleville) to Harpers Ferry. For most of this stretch, the Trail parallels first the Blue Ridge Parkway and next Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park.

Is Florida your starting point? The southernmost AT point on the "Blue Ridge" is the first road crossing on the Parkway - Blackhorse Gap which is located at Mile 97.7 of the Parkway. Find your way to Roanoke and follow a standard road map to the BRP. Now if you're driving straight up I-95, you may want to take I-64 at Richmond west to Charlottesville and beyond where the Trail intersects 64 at Rockfish Gap, the southernmost point of SNP.

Maybe I was a little vague. I am staying in the actual town of Blue Ridge (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=blue+ridge+ga&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Blue+Ridge,+GA&gl=us&ei=_d2wTMSrJIX7lwf4y_TkDw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCEQ8gEwAA)

I am looking for the closes access to the Appalachian Trail from this town. Thanks.

whywoogy
10-09-2010, 17:29
closest*

How do I edit a post?

Cookerhiker
10-09-2010, 17:43
You can edit post by becomine a Donating Member:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=donating_member

As to your question, there are a number of access points from Blue Ridge, GA. Drive east on US 76 through Hiawassee to Dick's Creek Gap or drive south (or is it east?) on GA Rt. 60 from US 76 to Suches or take 76 east to US 19 and drive south to Neel Gap where Mountain Crossings outfitter and hostel is. If you do the latter, you can hike south up Blood Mountain, the highest AT point in Georgia.

whywoogy
10-09-2010, 17:51
You can edit post by becomine a Donating Member:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=donating_member

As to your question, there are a number of access points from Blue Ridge, GA. Drive east on US 76 through Hiawassee to Dick's Creek Gap or drive south (or is it east?) on GA Rt. 60 from US 76 to Suches or take 76 east to US 19 and drive south to Neel Gap where Mountain Crossings outfitter and hostel is. If you do the latter, you can hike south up Blood Mountain, the highest AT point in Georgia.

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. Last question, about how far (minutes) are these access points from Blue Ridge?

Ankle Bone
10-09-2010, 19:33
76 to Dicks Creek is the nearest location to Blue Ridge. Maybe an hour.

Tennessee Viking
10-10-2010, 00:45
For Blue Ridge GA, you will be closest to Springer and Hawk Mountain, and Suches areas.

Blue Ridge is fairly close to some major trailheads for the Benton MacKaye Trail.

lurpranger
10-10-2010, 13:47
take hwy 60 south (15-18 miles)turn right on doublehead gap rd(4-5 miles) turn left on fs-58. follow 58 until it ends into fs-42 turn right. springer mtn parking is 2 miles on right.

FatMan
10-10-2010, 17:42
My guess is the closest point / shortest time would be Cooper Gap. Take GA60 south to Gaddistown Road. Gaddistown Road will become FS15 and become gravel about 1mile before you reach Cooper Gap.

whywoogy
10-10-2010, 20:02
For Blue Ridge GA, you will be closest to Springer and Hawk Mountain, and Suches areas.

Blue Ridge is fairly close to some major trailheads for the Benton MacKaye Trail.

In regards to the Benton MacKaye, do you (or anyone) know of a close access point to check out the swinging bridge that croses the Toccoa River?

max patch
10-10-2010, 20:29
In regards to the Benton MacKaye, do you (or anyone) know of a close access point to check out the swinging bridge that croses the Toccoa River?

Really easy access from Blue Ridge:

http://www.blueridgemountains.com/swinging_bridge.html

Tennessee Viking
10-10-2010, 23:09
I have only personally walked the Dyer Gap/Jack River area and immedaite Ocoee River area.

But you can walk south from GA 60.

whywoogy
10-11-2010, 16:14
Really easy access from Blue Ridge:

http://www.blueridgemountains.com/swinging_bridge.html

Right on the money! Thanks..

Thank you to everyone else as well for their input and information. Much appreciated!

jesse
10-11-2010, 17:44
I don't have my guide in front of me but The quickest access to the BMT, I think, would be Shallowford Bridge. Its just a few miles from Blue Ridge on Aska Rd. It would be easy to get a ride, or you might be able to park your car at the store. Its about mile 40? The Toccoa Bridge is about mile 14. That would be a 25 mile hike one way. Great trail. In December you should have it to yourself.
You can also access the BMT about 4 miles South of Blue Ridge on Hwy 515, but about 1/2 the trail between there and Shallowford Bridge is road walking.