PDA

View Full Version : Chimney Tops TR

STICK
10-09-2010, 22:13
So, now I am laying here in the hotel, got my packs packed for our hike we are leaving out on in the morning, and thought I would share the hike I did today.

My wife and I did the 4 mile round trip hike to the top of the Chimney Tops in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. We had a great time.

Here is a link to the TR I posted on my blog, with pictures:

http://stick13.wordpress.com/2010/10/09/chimney-tops-day-hike/#more-1163

hontassquirt
10-09-2010, 23:33
what kind of camera did you use for the nature shots? please tell me a point and shoot! the colors came out quite nicely. thanks for sharing!

Dogwood
10-10-2010, 00:39
For those who want to extend their Chimney Tops Tr hike or do a loop involving Chimney Tops there is a short steep unofficial connector trail following a slight ridge that extends from just a few 100 yds from the Chimney Tops formation to the Sugarland Mountain Trail. A nice 1 1/2 day Fall season loop can be experienced by starting at the Chimney Tops TH, checking out the Chimney Top formation and then taking the Sugarland Mnt Tr to either the Mt Collins shelter, and then the AT down to Newfound Gap or taking the Sugarland Mnt Tr to the Rough Creek Tr to the Goshen Prong Tr to Double Spring Gap Shelelter on the AT past Clingman's Dome for a visit and then taking the AT down to Newfound Gap. You could avoid Newfound Gap altogether and branch off the AT before you get to Newfound Gap and take the Road Prong Tr right back to The Chimney Tops TH. Look at www.nps.gov Great Smokey Mountains NP for a free trail map.

JohKnip
10-10-2010, 02:14
Nice article you wrote there. I remember the first time I hiked the chimney top trail. One of my first ever hikes I was in my early teens and what I remember most is the uphill kicking my ***. I wasn't brave enough to go up the chimney once we got to the end of the trail but now I wish I was. Can't wait to get back there soon. :D

STICK
10-17-2010, 17:32
Hey, sorry it took so long for me to get back. We jsut got back home last night. Got to get in some good hiking though and seen lots of beautiful mountains...

hontassquirt (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=29147), my wife used her Nikon D40. Sorry, I wish it was a point and shoot... I have to get another camera because the one I currently have isn't hardly worthy enough for the kids to play with, it's just plain crap! I am looking to get something like the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ10 or the Panasonic Lumix FH20 Camera. (http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/fh22_fh20_fs33_fs30/)

Chimney Tops was great and I am looking forward to going again. Thanks for checking out the post.

sly dog
10-18-2010, 12:24
I remember that place. I proposed to my wife on top of the chimney tops in GSNP. I made her climb to the top even tho she didnt want to make that last climb up those rocks. But it turned out well, she said yes and I didnt have to push her over the side.

SMSP
10-18-2010, 16:53
Stick - Were you wearing the Boots for testing/expereince over wearing regular hiking shoes and/or trail runners?

Would you hike Chimney Tops again in boots or shoes?

Nice Trip Report, good job. Great Pics as well. I have not had the opportunity to do CT yet, but it has been on ToDo List for some time!

SMSP

STICK
10-18-2010, 21:09
SMSP, I was wearing the boots for testing. I am testing them for Backpackgeartest.org. My field report is almost due so I was able to get some good field testing in with them. I just have to write the report up and add it to my existing Initial report. The report can be read here:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Footwear/Boots/Lowa%20Renegade%20GTX%20Mid%20Boots/Test%20Report%20by%20Chad%20G%20Poindexter/

However, before I was testing these I wore a pair of Merrell Moab GTX XCR Mid hiking boots. I have yet to wear trail runners for hiking. I actually enjoy the mid height boots for hiking with a pack. They have saved my ankles a few times.

As far as hiking Chimney Tops, since it is so short, I could see doing it in a pair of "shoes."

And I would recommend doing Chimney Tops when you get a chance. Nice little hike.

Thanks for checking out the post.