PDA

View Full Version : backpacking supplies at LOWES

Panzer1
10-09-2010, 22:41
While wandering around in Lowes today I saw the following things that can be used for backpacking:

LED head lamp / small hand held LED flashlights

batteries of all kinds for flash lights, cameras

folding pocket knives - several kinds
Leatherman type pocket tool

tyvek ground cloth / 4 mil plastic ground cloths

rope/string of all kinds

carabiners

cigarette lighter

baseball cap with built in LED light

gloves

large aluminum nails that can be used as tent steaks

kitchen trash bags to line pack

thermometer

hand soap-sanitizer, paper towels

Panzer

MkBibble
10-09-2010, 22:45
denatured alcolhol

Danielsen
10-09-2010, 22:59
Do they carry nylon painter's tarps?

Panzer1
10-09-2010, 23:08
Do they carry nylon painter's tarps?

I don't know :confused:

Panzer

springerfever
10-09-2010, 23:41
panzer1

The trash compactor bags Lowe's sell are excellent pack liners. Extremely durable, kind'a stretchy, large emough for a multi-day pack, and whilte in color. Wasn't sure if you were referring to these or regular trash bags.

Grommet kits are nice for tarp tie-outs (not on the tarp itself, but a small piece of nylon webbing). The point end of a hiking pole fits right in the grommet.

Window shrink-wrap is IDEAL for a ground cloth..very lightweight, durable and totally waterproof.

Jonnycat
10-10-2010, 01:10
I've been using the braided masonry twine (nylon) for my tarp guy-outs for several years now, and they are still going strong.

Panzer1
10-10-2010, 01:35
also, add microfiber towels to the list (at a good price, $7 for 3).

And a green plastic garden trowel for digging cat holes . only about $1

Panzer

buzzamania
10-10-2010, 01:42
Not to mention the wife never suspects you are feeding your backpacking obsession if you buy something from lowes right? I bought a $60 ultra bright tactical flashlight from Lowes. . . added it to my camping stash and didn't catch any flap!

mweinstone
10-10-2010, 09:34
lowes has nothing. no equiptment at all. just has been stakes and string from old mens memorys of their glory days and their boyscouts tourture pack.and cheepsters dreems of silly saveings. shrink mwrap?!!! duh. if lowes was the only stop on a peice of trail in witch i found myself in any need at all,...i would go their to use a phone for a ride to a place thats not lowes. i can refit better at an airport key keyosk. now,....lets see what lowes does have without the old man cheepy eye. hmmm......

gatorade
nuts
chocolate
gum
mints
water
jerkey
soda

grayfox
10-10-2010, 11:25
Duct tape
Reflectex
Aluminum flashing

I was waiting for a prescription in Walgreens and realized that I could almost compleatly outfit a hike in that one store--even a backpack. This might be a fun challenge--a Walgreens, or whatever, equipment list. The smaller the store, the more points awarded for a usable list.

Pedaling Fool
10-10-2010, 11:31
My local outfitter carries so much in the way of yuppie clothing that I do have to go to other stores for stuff. It's a shame, because this place has so much room (two stories), yet mostly wasted on clothing -- expensive clothing.

I also have an Army/Navy place that was more like an outfitter, but just went there the other day (over a year since my last visit) and they're more like an Army/Navy store now...so sad.

Panzer1
10-10-2010, 11:52
denatured alcolhol

yes, they do have that in gallon containers in the paint isle. That's a very important one. Thank you.

Panzer

Danielsen
10-10-2010, 15:31
I don't know :confused:

Panzer

I'd go check for you but the nearest lowes is about 15 miles away and I don't usually enjoy walking that far unless I'm on a trail somewhere. ;)

lilricky
10-10-2010, 17:06
I'll especially enjoy the "tent steaks"! Make mine medium rare! ;)

OnlyJohn
10-11-2010, 14:07
Two words, spell check.

lowes has nothing. no equiptment at all. just has been stakes and string from old mens memorys of their glory days and their boyscouts tourture pack.and cheepsters dreems of silly saveings. shrink mwrap?!!! duh. if lowes was the only stop on a peice of trail in witch i found myself in any need at all,...i would go their to use a phone for a ride to a place thats not lowes. i can refit better at an airport key keyosk. now,....lets see what lowes does have without the old man cheepy eye. hmmm......

gatorade
nuts
chocolate
gum
mints
water
jerkey
soda

Mags
10-11-2010, 14:26
Two words, spell check.

Ah...but there is a certain charm of the Tao of Mattski.

Think "The Dude".

leaftye
10-11-2010, 15:08
GE Silicone II
Mineral spirits
Kerosene
Blue tarps
Cords
Tubing
Food

Bare Bear
10-11-2010, 15:30
"The Dollar Store" favorite of cheap old men everywhere.........

sbhikes
10-11-2010, 16:00
The craft store can be good, too. It's the chick version of a hardware store. Another good place, if you have one, is the industrial scrap store. We've got Patagonia and the makers of Teva as industrial businesses nearby so there is cool high-tech scrap fabric, leather, sheep skin (make you own UGGs), and various other industrial items you might be able to use like little vials and other medical supply containers for carrying things.

mweinstone
10-11-2010, 19:04
panzer.member rambo? when sylvester stallone rips the rug out of an old vehical and makes clothing in 6 seconds? you see,... gallons of fuel wont exist soon. simularily, theirs little time to practice your rug ripping skills.i , the great and powerfull matthewski on the other hand have been busy reading up on such manuals and publications as ,...how to cook panzer. panzer as fuel. panzerpants and even "panzer big four" . a comprehensive outline for makeing panzer into , pack bag tent pad.

on the topic of spellbashing. shame. shame i say to you sir or mamm.their are reasons for things. and some of the reasons that exist are specific to why folks spell differently. theirs reasons for almost everything. say for instance ,...the reason for your spellbashing . well,..law is the answer. sometimes we contort choice into law. we act like its wrong to spell wrong. well, its certinally a pain in the arss. and i dont like it any more than you. and sure i could learn anything i put my mind to anytime i want in this wonderful learned scociaty we have. do i have the choisce to remaine whereever i find myself on the educational ladder when i become disinterested or am i blocking the path for others and more, are we saying im hurting others? cause i choose not to put that amount of importanace on spelling improvement in my life at this time. later,...maby.

scottgoingwild
10-11-2010, 19:42
"The Dollar Store" favorite of cheap old men everywhere.........
dollar tree sewing kit saved me moore than once:sun

Old Hiker
10-12-2010, 07:17
Home Depot has a 10% military discount (active and retired) up to $25 here in the Tampa area. Lowe's discontinued theirs, so across the street I go.

10% brings most prices almost to Wally World range.