PDA

View Full Version : Need Waterproof Shell Mitten

Glee
12-07-2004, 00:47
I've been looking all over the web for a pair. I guess OR use to make one, but it seems that the only one they have out there now is the lobster looking one. I want just the shell because I have some liners that I will wear as a base, a wool mitt and then the waterproof shell.

Thanks

orangebug
12-07-2004, 08:25
OR makes a shell mitten. They are rip stop Gortex, have an elastic wrist band and are quite light. I got mine at Mt Rogers Outfitters in Damascus 10 days ago. My previous system, Smartwool liners and Thermaloft convertible mittens, really didn't do the job in wind and freezing rain.

My only concern is how slick the material is. I believe they were about $40. I'd check Campmor to see if they have anything similar.

Youngblood
12-07-2004, 08:56
OR makes a shell mitten. They are rip stop Gortex, have an elastic wrist band and are quite light. I got mine at Mt Rogers Outfitters in Damascus 10 days ago. My previous system, Smartwool liners and Thermaloft convertible mittens, really didn't do the job in wind and freezing rain.

My only concern is how slick the material is. I believe they were about $40. I'd check Campmor to see if they have anything similar.

I have an older pair that weighs about 2oz?, there isn't much to them. They are pretty small (barely cover small mittens), GoreTex with an elastic wrist band that I recently replaced to make it larger because the original one was so small that I was routinely ripping out the seams to stretch it enough to get over my fleece mittens. I don't see them on OR's web site or on Campmor's web site, which is where I bought mine about 5 years back. Those you found could be old stock that won't be replaced? If that is the case, that may be one of the last sources for those.

I also thought that Sixmoondesigns.com used to have silnylon overmittens but didn't see them listed on their web site this morning. I think the ones made out of silnylon where pretty simple, inexpensive, were not articulated (if that is the right word) to form fit the hand in a gripped position and may have just went far enough up the forearm that it didn't need or have elastic cuffs (tuck them under the elastic wrist band on your jacket?). Didn't look like they would have been too difficult to cut, sew and seam seal if you do that kind of thing. Silnylon isn't breathable, but I seem to recall that my hands typically got pretty wet with the OR GoreTex ones after a while, but I was warm and wet and the wind didn't freeze my hands... so the silynylon approach might work about as well as GoreTex for that application. I believe when mine got wet I was gripping hiking poles and don't know how much, if anything, that had to do with my hands being warm and wet in lengthy rains.

Youngblood

Happy
12-07-2004, 09:07
They are available at Mountain Crossings at Neal's Gap! Check the Mountain Crossings website and E-mail Winton....he should be able to help you.

You have the right idea...I had problems with my old system and Winton recommended: use a thin glove liner, powerstretch gloves from MH or Marmot and use the OR rain Mitts on top.

As Orangebug stated, they are really light around 1.2 ounces for the pair. I only use them during wet or really cold condictions, otherwise I hike in the powerstretch gloves and use the glove liners for setting up camp, cooking, etc.

orangebug
12-07-2004, 14:42
I don't know that I'd want silnylon for this purpose. That would turn it into a baggy VBL glove and get pretty sweaty and hot. I'd be looking out for similar over gloves made of Tyvek or other vapor permiable fabric.

Footslogger
12-07-2004, 15:04
I've been looking all over the web for a pair. I guess OR use to make one, but it seems that the only one they have out there now is the lobster looking one. I want just the shell because I have some liners that I will wear as a base, a wool mitt and then the waterproof shell.

Thanks==========================
Check out the ones called "Rain Mitts". I have 3 pair and to the best of my knowledge they are still sold by OR. I have 2 sizes and use them over different thickness liner gloves. They are made of a lightweight GORE fabric. Not super durable but I carried a pair in the colder/wetter months (which were plentiful last year) and they worked like a charm and added a degree of warmth to an otherwise lightweight polypro liner glove.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Glee
12-07-2004, 16:54
My base layer glove is:
Manzella Thermax Glove Liners
These liner gloves are made with a thin fabric to fit comfortably under shell mittens and gloves.

Wear under waterproof shell mittens and gloves for increased warmth and comfort, or wear them on their own for light protection
Thermax® moves moisture away from you to keep hands warm
Lycra® spandex adds stretch and allows dexterity
Then for warmth on top of that is:
Dachstein Wool Mitts
These mitts are among the most weather-proof in the world. Handcrafted from 100 percent boiled wool, preshrunk to expedition-weight thickness. Exceptionally warm, windproof and very durable. Avg. wt. 6 oz. Made in Austria.

Then I want a waterproof mitt to go over them to keep the warmth in and dry.

All of the OR Rain Mitts would not work with the Dachstein Wool Mitts because of the split in the middle of the mitten of their rain mit.

The OR Talus Mitts:

A waterproof shell mitt for warm snow days or rainy backpacking trips, the Talus offers lightweight, packable protection. The seam taped ripstop Ventia™ shell and 130d Cordura® palm gives this mitt excellent performance in any activity where sudden squalls or long downpours are expected. Anatomical curve and boxed construction allow you to wear these mitts in comfort no matter how long you’re on the trail. Avg. weight: 2.9 oz Cost $59.00

While the above mitt from OR might work, the cost $59.00 is more then I wanted to pay for a waterproof shell. The weight of 2.9 oz makes me think there is a liner in them.

Any search on Google pretty much gives me the same thing or the lobster type mitt.

I know I can use plastic bags, but I would like something which was made just for rain or snow, with a draw string and which are long enough to go under my rain jacket.
I hope the pics here help as well..

Footslogger
12-07-2004, 17:25
I hear ya Glee ...but my OR Rain Mitts are not "Lobster Claw" styled. They are a standard hand/thumb over mitten. I wear finger gloves under them and they work fine. Maybe OR changed the styling since I bought mine back in 2002.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Glee
12-07-2004, 21:34
I hear ya Glee ...but my OR Rain Mitts are not "Lobster Claw" styled. They are a standard hand/thumb over mitten. I wear finger gloves under them and they work fine. Maybe OR changed the styling since I bought mine back in 2002.

'Slogger
AT 2003
Someone is always upsetting the applecart. OR just doesn’t make them any more and seems there is not a place on the planet which carries them. I did find a Swiss Army waterproof mitt, however, I will have to wait and see if my definition of waterproof and theirs is the same... Worst comes to worst, I guess I can use the wool mitts for in camp, not raining type of days, and get some wool finger gloves and the new Rain Mitts from OR. I just felt (And from what others have said) it would be warmer.

peter_pan
12-07-2004, 22:07
From 26 March to 18 May 2003, from Springer Mt to Pearisburg, a very wet hike, I used the two microporous polypropylene stuff sacks that my O2 Rainwear rain suit came in. They worked well with hiking poles. Free with the suit.... less than 1 oz for the pair. Included in the oft cited wgt of 5.5 oz top and 5 oz bottom.... :-?

Footslogger
12-08-2004, 13:03
Someone is always upsetting the applecart. OR just doesn’t make them any more and seems there is not a place on the planet which carries them. I did find a Swiss Army waterproof mitt, however, I will have to wait and see if my definition of waterproof and theirs is the same... Worst comes to worst, I guess I can use the wool mitts for in camp, not raining type of days, and get some wool finger gloves and the new Rain Mitts from OR. I just felt (And from what others have said) it would be warmer.==========================
Thanks for the update Glee ...guess I'd better take care of the ones I have then, since I can't replace them.

Here's a suggestion though ...check with outfitters up and down the AT. I know for a fact that Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap carried them as well as MRO in Damascus. You never know ...they may still have a pair or two in stock.

'Slogger
AT 2003

orangebug
12-08-2004, 13:07
I bought mine at MRO in Damascus 2 weeks ago, just after Thanksgiving. They had more.

tlbj6142
12-09-2004, 11:20
Marmot makes a shell mitt. Check out their site for details. Its probably a good subsitute for the fromer OR mitt.

Glee
12-09-2004, 11:31
I bought mine at MRO in Damascus 2 weeks ago, just after Thanksgiving. They had more.
If you don't mind me asking... How much did you pay for them...

Thanks

orangebug
12-09-2004, 12:45
I think they were $30, but I'm not sure. :-?

Youngblood
12-09-2004, 21:38
I received this email today from OR's customer service:

We do still sell overmitts. The entire handwear line has been
redesigned and our offerings are a bit different. The Snowline Mitt
(5.5 oz / longer gauntlet / wicking mesh liner) is the product you want
if you are looking for just a shell suitable for skiing, snowboarding,
or cold weather hiking. We also have a simpler lightweight
waterproof/breathable all purpose shell called the Talus Mitt (2.9 oz.
/
shorter gauntlet / no liner) and is appropriate for biking, hiking, or
as a shell over pretty much any liner. The Talus is currently out of
stock, but should be available again by late December or early January.

Our website at www.orgear.com will give you further details for each
product.

Thanks for your inquiry and let us know if you have further questions
or
need help ordering.

Youngblood
12-09-2004, 21:43
I looked up the Talus Mitt on OR's web site ( http://www.orgear.com/home/style/70405 ). They are real proud of them, $59.

The heavier Snowline Mitts ( http://www.orgear.com/home/style/71130 ) are $39.

orangebug
12-09-2004, 21:46
The Talus is what I got at MRO. It was nowhere close to $60. If you want one, I'll sell you mine for $60 and not charge freight.
:banana

Youngblood
12-09-2004, 21:51
The Talus is what I got at MRO. It was nowhere close to $60. If you want one, I'll sell you mine for $60 and not charge freight.
:banana

Yeah, the $59 doesn't make any sense. I posted the $39 price for the larger ones as you were making this post.

Ridge
12-09-2004, 23:48
You can get liners made of polypropylene (large female) at wal mart packed as two pair for under 2 bucks for 2pair. Target has some good cheap ones also. I usually find that selections in the female depts are better and cheaper, just got to find the large sizes that fit. These liners are of the five fingered glove type, I wear a REI Water proof mitten over these. Outdoor Research (OR) brand is also and excellent choice. These elcheapo liners are just as good as the expensive ones you buy at REI and other suppliers.

tlbj6142
12-10-2004, 10:07
The Marmot Shell Mitts (http://www.marmot.com/products/product.php?cat=glove&subcat=21&style_id=E1748)are only $35 retail. They are a bit more like the Snowline Mitt described above (longer gaulant, etc.), but there is no way they weigh 5.5oz.

Youngblood
12-10-2004, 10:34
The Marmot Shell Mitts (http://www.marmot.com/products/product.php?cat=glove&subcat=21&style_id=E1748)are only $35 retail. They are a bit more like the Snowline Mitt described above (longer gaulant, etc.), but there is no way they weigh 5.5oz.

I don't know, I didn't see the weight listed but it sure seems to have a lot of features that would add to the weight and that seems to be the difference in the two OR models that weigh either 2.9 or 5.5 ounces.

It seems no one is offering the sub 2 oz version anymore that OR once had. That may okay though. They were light, didn't have much pack bulk but they were only marginal as overmittens... maybe the larger ones are worth the extra couple of ounces, I know mine were a pain to put on over liner gloves and mitterns. I think the small size that barely covers your hand made the elastic cuffs do more than they were capable of. I carried a small sewing kit on my thru and I had to resew the elastic cuffs on mine more than once. I wore them this summer in the Smokies and bought some stretch fabric to try to eliminate that problem by increasing the cuff size when I got back. Maybe OR decided that they were too marginal and just replaced them with something that worked better?

Youngblood