PDA

View Full Version : Chestnut Knob Water

JEBjr
10-10-2010, 13:58
Heading up that way next weekend with some friends for a night. Anyone know the water situation at Walker Gap or the old Jeep Road near the shelter?

Thanks,

James

JEBjr
10-12-2010, 10:58
I guess I'll go on the assumption there isn't much water up there.

Rain Man
10-12-2010, 16:18
Last month there was plenty of water at Walker Gap spring... and at the pond spring box 1.8 miles south of the shelter. Don't know about that Jeep road spring.

Rain:sunMan

sfouse
11-11-2010, 02:34
Two weeks ago water was scarce. Went SOBO from Jenkins and carried extra and dry-camped at Chestnut Knob. Pond past Chestnut was low but had water. Spring wasn't flowing though. Heard there was only a trickle off jeep road at Walker Gap.

mweinstone
11-11-2010, 09:39
chestnut knob shelters water allways confuses folks. its part bad guidebook descriptions over the years and part fear. folks read about the water sources and walk by the jeep road trickle hopeing for much more. well, the jeep road trickle aint never been dry for me , its hard to see for the newbee. their is grasses covering it at times and so little flow it scares newbees. fact is, the waters on the way to the shelter going north and very conveinent. what isnt, is the scary nature of a stone box with a door that is for keeping out the giant from jack and the beanstalk. that place is haunted. can we just admit it. go in and tell me you dont feel the cold fear eminating from the cold stones.the hill outside is the sunnyest funniest staryest camp youll ever stargaze from. that shelter needs a priest.or sumthin.lol.

JEBjr
11-11-2010, 11:30
We Filtered water out of the pond and lived to tell about it. I was surprised the piped spring wasn't flowing.

Some trail maintenence folks were blazing a new trail which we assume was to a spring or water source - near Walker's Gap on ihe 16th, when we were hiking in from va 623.

I enjoyed my stay in the shelter. I AIN'T AFRAID OF NO GHOST.

c4jc88
11-19-2010, 01:19
couldn't find the water at walkers gap last week and did walk the entire new blue blaze. There is a muddy spring just past chestnut knob and about a mile and a half south there is a good sized pond with good water.

jason

aka - Alaska