PDA

View Full Version : Oh the Frustration

Tuckahoe
10-10-2010, 13:59
Was looking forward to a trip between Grayson Highlands and Damascus. But my hiking buddy hurt his back setting a sail at work. Damn this is the second trip scrubbed this year.

kayak karl
10-10-2010, 14:17
just go. whats the problem?

Prettywoman0172
10-10-2010, 14:18
I keep having people offering to go with me and then backing out at the last minute. Just go alone. :) Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do :)

Bama Jack & Sadie
10-10-2010, 14:50
That's why I hike with my dog. She never backs out. You get the benefits of solitude/solo hike and a hiking partner at the same time.

Miner
10-10-2010, 15:32
Go anyway! On the At, it isn't like you won't see any people. I do the majority of my backpacking trips solo since its always too hard to get someone actually go with me who doesn't flake. If they end up going, then great. Otherwise, I'm not going to let it ruin my trip.

Roughin' It
10-10-2010, 18:06
if you don't go, I will be mad at you.

Wise Old Owl
10-10-2010, 18:10
Roughin It will be pulling out his voodoo on you.... You need to go...Now.

Prettywoman0172
10-10-2010, 18:18
I want him to voodoo me...I have been in a funk and working too hard

Tuckahoe
10-10-2010, 18:26
Relax guys, we're just going to put off the trip until early December and I think that I will take the time that I already have off to road trip and hit a gun show in Richmond.

I just feel like I have had a little rotten luck trying to get out backpacking.

Carbo
10-10-2010, 19:19
Good thread! I'm waiting now for a confirmation to my request for a meeting point for a hike tomorrow that's supposed to start at 8 AM, which means I need to be up by 6. You all convinced me to stop worrying about it, and go for it solo if there is no reply.

BTW - anyone wanna hike near the DWG tomorrow morning! Be there at 8 AM, circle parking area, west bound side of Rt. I 80:).

Take care!

Lone Wolf
10-10-2010, 22:57
Was looking forward to a trip between Grayson Highlands and Damascus. But my hiking buddy hurt his back setting a sail at work. Damn this is the second trip scrubbed this year.

Relax guys, we're just going to put off the trip until early December and I think that I will take the time that I already have off to road trip and hit a gun show in Richmond.

I just feel like I have had a little rotten luck trying to get out backpacking.

huh? :-? you can't go alone?

Tuckahoe
10-10-2010, 23:26
Well this trip was meant to be with two pretty tight friends.

ETA -- Sure I could certainly still go, but for me it wouldnt be as fun without my best friend. And as much as this was a chance to get out and do some hiking, this was also a chance to hang out with my best friend away from work. I had planned a trip back in June by myself, but that didnt happen because of my dad's motorcycle accident.

Dogwood
10-11-2010, 00:53
I have some very close hiking friends that I enjoy spending time with on the trails, but should one, or all of them, back out I've learned to be prepared to solo hike if need be.

Trailweaver
10-11-2010, 02:26
I'm set to leave tomorrow and my hiking partner bailed tonight. I'm leaving tomorrow alone, as I have done many times, and will just "do it." It's nice to have company, but like others have said, I usually meet someone at the shelter/on the trail. I talk to them, eat with them, and enjoy their company for the time we have. That's one of the things I love about the trail.

sbhikes
10-11-2010, 15:53
Yeah, at some point you have to go alone or else you might never go. That's why I hiked the whole PCT solo. That and the man at home probably would have driven me nuts, but that's another story.

kayak karl
10-11-2010, 16:02
huh? :-? you can't go alone?
maybe we don't want the answer, OK:rolleyes:

Little Big man
10-11-2010, 16:10
My name is Ron I'm known as Porkchop on the trail. This is my first time on this site and I'm really excited. I am wondering and its not relevant to the post but I live in Virginia, and Ive Hiked a lot in the Blu ridge. I'm wondering, where do you go to hike to the Sarvers Cabin? I just don't know where to start.

Carbo
10-11-2010, 19:59
Well, my buddy never confirmed a meeting time for our hike, not even a "I can't go". I just hope nothing bad happened, not even answering cell phone.

Anyway, I just got in from the hike solo. My mind and body are on a buzz from a great 12-miler and I am SO glad I went anyway. If it were to be a multi-day backpack trip I would do it solo as well if he had bagged-out.

All I can say is he better have a good excuse or it's 2 notches down on the partner list for him. If he got in trouble, maybe it's 3 notches up :D.