PDA

View Full Version : Pine Grove, PA to Unionville, NY

redseal
10-11-2010, 11:03
I am going to do about a 2 week section of the trail from Pine Grove, PA to Unionville, NY starting in mid-October. I am going no matter what, but I was curious to know if anyone else is going to be on this portion of the trail during this time period? Or maybe someone wants to meet up along the way.

sparky2000
10-11-2010, 11:56
I'm retired and able to go - prefer to hike with company, Give me a time and place details. I'm not a novice but never in a hurry - what's ur mode - running, trotting, walking, crawling, planning only?

sparky2000
10-11-2010, 12:00
Adding to my last entry. I'm at 8145718579 or [email protected]

redseal
10-11-2010, 12:36
I'm retired and able to go - prefer to hike with company, Give me a time and place details. I'm not a novice but never in a hurry - what's ur mode - running, trotting, walking, crawling, planning only?

I will do a quick response here so everyone could see, but I will send you a PM as well.

I'm done planning, I have a flexible itinerary in place to start the morning of Oct. 16 and end the morning of Oct. 29.

My daily mileages vary depending on shelter distances and what not. I would say my average for this trip is 15 mile days. Some short in the 7 mile range and some longer at the 18 mile range. I have not been out for extended periods this year due to work, so I am not sure how my legs will hold up and thus I can tweak the daily mileage as needed.

I have only one planned resupply at Wind Gap and some stops along the way for lunches/dinners.

redseal
10-11-2010, 14:45
Anyone know where the bulk of the SOBOs are? I assume they are well past this section by now. I'm assuming a pretty quite time/not many people out on the trail. Is this a fair assumption?

sparky2000
10-12-2010, 13:55
Now a big family thing has demanded that I back out of the hike. HYOH Sparky2k

redseal
10-12-2010, 14:14
Now a big family thing has demanded that I back out of the hike. HYOH Sparky2k

Not a problem. Have fun. Maybe I will see you around when I do the southern section of PA.

redseal
10-12-2010, 14:18
BTW...for those who might be interested...I am referring to the Pine Grove, PA near the 501 Shelter.

jfarrell04
10-13-2010, 13:34
We are getting ready for a one week trip in the Culvers Gap/Arden, NY area and I was wondering about water sources in the area.

For those of you with knowledge of the area, what can you tell me about our plans for water this year?

Leave water at Deckertown Turnpike
Water spigot at High Point SP
Water spigot at Jim Murray property
Water spigot at NJ DEP house
Water spigot at Maintenance building near Wawayanda Shelter
Spring at Wildcat Shelter.

Thanks in advance for any input/advice.<!-- / message -->

Wags
10-13-2010, 19:15
redseal i was just up a bit north of where you plan to start (bake oven knob)... it's a pretty cool section there and all the water i came across was running well! hunters will be out, as i'm sure you know. so get your blaze on...

redseal
10-14-2010, 07:17
redseal i was just up a bit north of where you plan to start (bake oven knob)... it's a pretty cool section there and all the water i came across was running well! hunters will be out, as i'm sure you know. so get your blaze on...

Thanks for the update!

mweinstone
10-14-2010, 08:54
no way you wanna hike with matthewski. it would mean alot of bacon and steak and colestoral and you sound healthy.it would be nice to walk to dunncannon with a human being. been around philly too long.i could walk to trail angel marys house in dunncanon from boiling springs if you want half my sandwitch i got in her freezer. dont worry, its a meatloaf sandwitch and wont be a bit stale. meatloaf cannot be created or destroyed.but alas, i cannot leave my phillys and their asociated mayhimlical ensueings.and i gotta rustel up work .

wendelcat
10-14-2010, 18:20
I don't know about the springs at the shelters becseu we were just out for the day, but I can tell you all the streams bewteen Brady Road and 17A are overflowing - making for some interesting crossings, - this was Oct. 2nd.

mick2360
10-17-2010, 20:03
Decent water availability from Greenwood Lake (Lakes Rd/17A) to High Point. I will maintain water at the 94 crossing until hard freeze sets in.

Saw several southbounders today in the 17A to Oil City area.