PDA

View Full Version : Arm-chair AT enthusiast

futureatwalker
10-11-2010, 14:48
The days are getting much shorter now, particularly here in Scotland, and so I have to satisfy my urge for backpacking by reading about it. This is my "AT shelf" at home. Do you have one?

Old Hillwalker
10-11-2010, 16:22
The days are getting much shorter now, particularly here in Scotland, and so I have to satisfy my urge for backpacking by reading about it. This is my "AT shelf" at home. Do you have one?
Hello Paul, I will be coming to Bonnie Scotland this May for the 11th time since 1989 to backpack and Hillwalk. Last time (2009) I backpacked the WHW for the second time, and then from Ft William to Cape Wrath following Hinchcliff's "Cape Wrath Trail" book.

This summer's schedule includes the Great Glen Way, a week of rambling and Munroe bagging around Kinlochewe, and then a walk along Hadrian's Wall. Since I will be there for the entire month, maybe we can get together for a pint or a dram of the Malt.

I have been a trail maintainer, hiker, and corridor monitor on the Appalachian trail for a few years and have not a few stories.

Thomas

Wise Old Owl
10-11-2010, 17:30
Welcome Paul, I have a few books too, But I prefer the DVD's - while on my treadmill.:D

Old Hiker
10-12-2010, 07:26
Greetings, Paul-From-Scotland! Old Hiker here (Paul-From-Tampa.)

First, let me thank the Scots for their incredible hospitality the two times my wife and I went there. I was stationed in Northern Germany and had to go the the UK for sunshine and warmth! The B&Bs we stayed at were enjoyable to say the least.

If only it were just a FEW books! I have about 6 feet of hiking books: anything from recipes, one-pot-cooking, Trail wisdom, Trail tips, guide books, 1989 Philosopher's Guide, etc. etc. etc. Don't get me started on the equipment in the garage!

Any ideas when you will be over here thru-hiking?

Hikes in Rain
10-12-2010, 09:14
Half of one of my eight-foot bookcases is dedicated to hiking, camping, AT, cooking, that sort of thing. And it's growing. Every bookcase in the library is maxed out. The overflow cases in other rooms are maxed out. The unread stack of books waiting for me has become a navigation hazard.

Welcome to WhiteBlaze! I look forward to reading stories of hiking and backpacking in Scotland. From what I've read, it's a wonderful place.