PDA

View Full Version : Best Week in 2011 to Thruhike the Smokies

bigben
10-11-2010, 16:25
My work 2011 vacation schedule will be coming out in a month or two, and I want to hae a time frame in mind for next spring's hike. I have been going the 1st or 2nd week in May. I will be making shelter reservations. Going to do Fontana to Davenport, plus a little.

I don't mind some people; I'm not looking for solitude. But, I don't want massive crowds. I prefer low temps being above 20 degrees. Don't mind snow but would just assume not have any for this hike. I'm not looking to break any land speed records, so 8 days, 7 nights is what I'm shooting for, plus 2 driving days. So, what 10 days in 2011 should I take off?

Bigben

sidebackside
10-11-2010, 16:27
Right now is prime weather for what you described. Maybe even late September. This is the time of year I went when I did my thru of the park.

Stir Fry
10-11-2010, 16:58
I have hike Smokies 2 times. Smalist number of people in April. You are only about three weeks from springer. Mid March is a popular time to start so they start arriving in erly May. April is colder but still nice. I think there are better views in April, as the Smokies haze has not set in yet.

Kerosene
10-11-2010, 17:05
If I was going in the spring then I'd shoot for late May/early June. If I was going to try to hit the fall colors then I'd shoot for late October/early November, but just remember that you don't get a lot of daylight that time of year.

mweinstone
10-11-2010, 19:31
since its a day drive , you can get there anytime a day after you leave. and since you love the area,..you will love it anytime. and since your you and were us, we cant tell you what to do. or what we think. cause their is no wrong. anytime is a answer we all can live with i belive. thats what i belive. i know personaly for me,....i want you to go asap. so i can hike vicariously thru you.cause im in a city with idiots.and no trees.

bigben
10-12-2010, 09:32
I wish I could go anytime. I'd be there now. It's just that there's that whole "job-wife's job-2 kids in school" thing. My question is, interms of spring and early summer, if you had to pick one week to optimize the best conditions in terms of crowds, temps and beauty, which week would it be?

ken209
10-12-2010, 10:02
My work 2011 vacation schedule will be coming out in a month or two, and I want to hae a time frame in mind for next spring's hike. I have been going the 1st or 2nd week in May. I will be making shelter reservations. Going to do Fontana to Davenport, plus a little.

I don't mind some people; I'm not looking for solitude. But, I don't want massive crowds. I prefer low temps being above 20 degrees. Don't mind snow but would just assume not have any for this hike. I'm not looking to break any land speed records, so 8 days, 7 nights is what I'm shooting for, plus 2 driving days. So, what 10 days in 2011 should I take off?

Bigben
I have seen the most in april & oct, some shelters were full plus. have seen the least in june.

cowpoke
10-12-2010, 11:35
I've been told as far as reservations go....after Memorial Day and before 4th of July...that's my plan for next year. cheers.

StorminMormon
10-12-2010, 12:18
I'm probably going to do Memorial Day weekend to help offset taking vacation time from work. But my plan is to finish on Memorial Day, not start - so hopefully that will help me avoid some crowds. I'm the same way...I'm not looking for solitude, but I hate "standing in line" on the trail...so to speak.

StorminMormon
10-12-2010, 12:23
http://www.nature.nps.gov/air/webcams/index.cfm

Also, thought I'd share this: The National Park Service has a couple nice webcams in the Smoky's. One looks kinda' NorthEast and one looks kinda' SouthWest, although I've never been able to really determine the exact angle. Anyway, they cool thing is that just below the picture is a button called "archives" and they have pictures every few days going back for the last 10 years. So it's kinda' neat to see what you might see during a particular week or month.

Anyway, hope that helps.

OldFeet
10-13-2010, 15:45
This past May I hiked from Davenport to Fontana Dam starting on May 8th. The daytime temps allowed for comfortable hiking in shorts with the first few nights dipping into the 30's. There were a couple of days of light rain with still comfortable temps for rain gear. None of the five shelters I stayed at were full and a couple nights there were only 6 or 7 of us in total.