PDA

View Full Version : GSMP: water and bears

gumball
10-11-2010, 16:45
Hello:

We are headed out to the Smokies, reservations made, etc, beginning our hike on Sunday.

We're looking for any water conditions that might be troublesome and helpful to be aware of and are wondering if there is bear activity significant enough to warrant "bear spray" (recommended by a buddy). Seems like overkill to me, but the Smokies are not a stretch we've hiked yet and I don't want our last thoughts to be "guess, I should have bought the spray...crunch, crunch, crunch..."

humunuku
10-11-2010, 20:06
no need for bear spray, Issues with black bears in the smokes are rare, unless you feed them or leave your food laying around. Not sure on the water situation, hasn't really rained here lately, and we are in a drought

bulldog49
10-11-2010, 20:47
Hello:

We are headed out to the Smokies, reservations made, etc, beginning our hike on Sunday.

We're looking for any water conditions that might be troublesome and helpful to be aware of and are wondering if there is bear activity significant enough to warrant "bear spray" (recommended by a buddy). Seems like overkill to me, but the Smokies are not a stretch we've hiked yet and I don't want our last thoughts to be "guess, I should have bought the spray...crunch, crunch, crunch..."

Bear spray is never warranted anywhere on the AT.

Morning Glory
10-11-2010, 20:51
Hello:

No need for the bear spray. There has been a pesky little bear hanging around Cosby knob shelter, but he's small and you can take him. If you are heading NOBO, then make sure you bring plenty of water. There are hardly any options for the first 15 or 16 miles. I hiked the park back in late august and was thankful for a good thunderstorm which allowed me to collect water off the roof at Mollies Ridge. I didn't need water at Russell field shelter but it was running decently at Spence Field. The rest of the trip, the water was fine and I suspect you shouldn't have any problems either.

wornoutboots
10-12-2010, 09:49
I just returned from the NF Gap - NOC section and water is good except for Stecoah Gap between Brown Fork & Sassafras Shelters if your venturing out of the Smokies South. Also I saw lots of bear scat but no bears.

gumball
10-12-2010, 17:52
We are most grateful for your responses. Thanks everyone!

Transient Being
10-12-2010, 18:00
I just returned from the NF Gap - NOC section and water is good except for Stecoah Gap between Brown Fork & Sassafras Shelters if your venturing out of the Smokies South. Also I saw lots of bear scat but no bears.

So there was water in the southern portion of the GSMNP? Can you give any locations?