PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Rogers in late December

vsiddhartha
10-11-2010, 17:51
I realize weather can vary, but typically, for an overnighter on Mt. Rogers in late December, are snowshoes: (A) required equipment, (B) a luxury, or (C) dead weight? What about instep crampons or Yaktrax?

I'm assuming there will definitely be snow, but unless it's fresh it will be packed in pretty good on these well-used trails.

Thanks!

1azarus
10-11-2010, 18:12
i'd suggest you check the forecast a few days before you go, and buy a pair of snow shoes if there's crazy amounts of snow -- like at least a foot. it is quite unlikely you'll need them. i'd do the same with kahtoola microspikes (not yaktrax) -- but i'd be likely to bring them if the trail was icy. most of the time on winter hikes i bring the spikes and snowshoes to the trail head and then decide, although it can still be tricky making guesses about higher altitudes. and often enough that packed trail you were excited about goes... about 1 mile up the AT and stops by a rock with a view.

bigcranky
10-11-2010, 21:45
We go there a lot in the winter. Only one trip I wished I had snow shoes, and one other trip I could have used some sort of traction device. I usually carry yaktrax in the winter.

I agree with the advice to call the day before.

Bucherm
10-12-2010, 05:22
We go there a lot in the winter. Only one trip I wished I had snow shoes, and one other trip I could have used some sort of traction device. I usually carry yaktrax in the winter.

I agree with the advice to call the day before.

How are you liking the Yaktrax? The reviews on REI's page are abysmal.

10-K
10-12-2010, 05:47
How are you liking the Yaktrax? The reviews on REI's page are abysmal.

I wouldn't buy them again. It was a waste of money. As soon as I put them on I regretted not buying Microspikes but that was me trying to save a dollar.

Microspikes are what you want if you want something Yaktraxy. http://www.rei.com/product/774966. Note that in the review section they have 42 reviews and a 5 star rating.

1azarus
10-12-2010, 07:16
I wouldn't buy them again. It was a waste of money. As soon as I put them on I regretted not buying Microspikes but that was me trying to save a dollar.

Microspikes are what you want if you want something Yaktraxy. http://www.rei.com/product/774966. Note that in the review section they have 42 reviews and a 5 star rating.

and if 10k and i agree on something it must be true and should be a national holiday.

bigcranky
10-12-2010, 15:56
and if 10k and i agree on something it must be true and should be a national holiday.

Um, yeah, me too, a red letter day all around.

The Yaktrax work okay. When they break I will replace them with something more robust.

canoehead
10-12-2010, 16:56
I use the Kahtoola micro spikes and they work OK.
If post holing in the snow will be a problem the I'd take the SS just for flotation
http://www.kahtoola.com/microspikes.php

10-K
10-12-2010, 17:17

You'd look good on a postage stamp.. :)

Sorry, I was just informed you had to be dead to be on a postage stamp. I didn't know that! Seems like every time I go in the post office they have another commerative stamp series for sale. I just figured if we had a holiday we should have a stamp too..

Anyway - don't go dying on me before next month!

bigcranky
10-12-2010, 19:30
You'd look good on a postage stamp.. :)

Wishing someone dead is uncalled for, smiley or not. You just doubled the size of my Blocked list.

10-K
10-12-2010, 22:00
Wishing someone dead is uncalled for, smiley or not. You just doubled the size of my Blocked list.

I'm saddened, but I'll probably recover.

1azarus
10-12-2010, 22:43
aw, give 10k him a break! he's proving to be my best white blaze buddy in Erwin, site of my next section hike. given my name, being dead is only a temporary condition, anyway...