PDA

View Full Version : planning AT Get togethers and shows for next Year

Wise Old Owl
10-11-2010, 18:26
The notice for the Gathering came too late, I would like to attend a mixer and vendor show next year and need to plan ahead,

These meets pull it together on the same weekends each year - Georgia is a bit of a drive, but not impossible and Sept (Stink Bug Season) wouldn't work... So what would you recommend?

Cookerhiker
10-11-2010, 22:18
The closest event to you is probably the PA Ruck which I presumed is re-named now that it's been moved -at least for next year - to the Blackburn Center in Northern Virginia. It's held in late January. You can find some details here on WB or send a message to Starlyte who coordinates it. Perhaps you can also contact CamoJack who lives near you and always attends.

It's more of a get-together than a vendor show but you'll have a good time meeting people and enjoying the programs.

Wise Old Owl
10-12-2010, 21:59
Very Cool anything else I should be aware of?

BAG "o" TRICKS
12-21-2010, 13:01
Very Cool anything else I should be aware of?

The Billville 'Winter Warmer'. It's like a cabin fever get together with approximately 25-30 hikers that seems to grow each year. This annual event is held at 'The Doyle Hotel' in Duncannon PA. I was told it will probably be held the last weekend in February but date has not yet been ‘officially’ posted here by Chomp.., comon' Chomp. The event usually involves a lot of late night BS'ing over booze on Friday evenings followed on Saturday morning with a sober-up day hike and/or work trip. I'm guessing work trip maybe down to the AT museum and the day hike probably somewhere north of Duncannon. Saturday evening features more partying with possible seminars/movies about the AT or some other trails, along with Mattie’s art show and auction in one or two rooms. Pat said he may try to bring in some entertainment for the bar and I told him don’t bother we bring our own;)

NOTE: Since the hotel owners Pat & Vickey have commandeered the banquet room on the second floor as their new home we have been informed that donut hockey in the hallways will no longer be permitted:(, however, as usual, Tarlin toss is:banana

jlb2012
12-21-2010, 14:26
The closest event to you is probably the PA Ruck which I presumed is re-named now that it's been moved -at least for next year - to the Blackburn Center in Northern Virginia. It's held in late January. You can find some details here on WB or send a message to Starlyte who coordinates it. Perhaps you can also contact CamoJack who lives near you and always attends.

It's more of a get-together than a vendor show but you'll have a good time meeting people and enjoying the programs.

well Cookerhiker kinda got the wrong place in his head - see http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=66351 for details but the "mid atlantic" ruck is at Bears Den and not Blackburn

Cookerhiker
12-21-2010, 14:39
My bad - I knew I should have looked it up:o:o

Newb
12-27-2010, 09:24
You got the Winter Warmer all wrong. Saturday night is punctuated by fine poetry and fabulous prizes.

Wise Old Owl
12-27-2010, 10:40
wow I gave up on this thread.... weird how its on top today.

Ron Haven
12-28-2010, 16:38
wow I gave up on this thread.... weird how its on top today.Wise Old Owl, you may keep in mind some of next years events. Southern Ruck coming up in Jan, 7th Annual Hiker Fool Bash Weekend in Franklin,NC April 1st & 2nd.

Wise Old Owl
12-28-2010, 16:42
Thanks ron!

BAG "o" TRICKS
12-28-2010, 22:25
You got the Winter Warmer all wrong. Saturday night is punctuated by fine poetry and fabulous prizes.

Darn, how'd I forget that?