PDA

View Full Version : Tracking mileage using Excel

hiker_mike
10-11-2010, 21:40
I often hike short sections on the AT but not consecutively. I often us a reference guide such as the "Appalachian Pages" or the "AT Companion Guide". Then I make notes in the borders on when I made the hike.

Does anyone know of an Excel workbook/spreadsheet that has all the same information? I would like to add few columns to include the date I hike the section, direction of the hike, info on weather, other people and general experiences, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Hiker_mike from Georgia

moytoy
10-11-2010, 22:52
It's easy enough to do yourself. You can custom design the spreadsheet to suit your needs. Of course if somebody has one all the easier.

Ox97GaMe
10-13-2010, 19:33
Im not aware of one either. I am assuming you want to keep track for the purposes of submitting your 2000 miler application at some point in the future.

Easiest thing to do would be to just put your starting and ending point and mileage for each trip in the spreadsheet that you create. Dont worry about each 1-2 mile 'segment' as it is broken up in any of the AT guides. After all, you are only concerned with connecting all your segments anyway. You can leave a blank line in the spreadsheet between any unconnected segments, so you know where your gaps are at a glance. I can throw a sample spreadsheet together and send to you pretty quickly if you want.

doodah man
10-14-2010, 13:32
I often hike short sections on the AT but not consecutively. I often us a reference guide such as the "Appalachian Pages" or the "AT Companion Guide". Then I make notes in the borders on when I made the hike.

Does anyone know of an Excel workbook/spreadsheet that has all the same information? I would like to add few columns to include the date I hike the section, direction of the hike, info on weather, other people and general experiences, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Hiker_mike from Georgia

Mike, PM Sent... doodah-man

msujay
10-15-2010, 17:48
Mike...check out the Excel spreadsheet at the following link:

http://www.infonavigate.com/travel-info/appalachian-trail/Appalachian_Trail_Planner.xls

Hope this helps!

Thanks in advance.

Hiker_mike from Georgia

Del Q
10-15-2010, 21:13
Am so happy that an Excel spreadsheet quickly surfaced, nice tool, thanks.