PDA

View Full Version : Statistics

Tucky
10-12-2010, 17:13
I was just wondering what statistics some of you long-distance hikers kept track of during your long hikes (# sunny days, days of rain, daily temperatures, liters of water drank, etc.).

Please share!

BrianLe
10-12-2010, 20:19
AYCE buffets eaten? :-)

No specific statistics for me; came up with a few after I got back home (average miles per day, number of Neros and Zeros taken, that sort of thing) but I think that few people are inclined to track the sort of stats that you list while thru-hiking. And I suspect that I'm more anal retentive in this sort of way than average (I typed up a journal entry for literally every non-zero day on two long trails now).

LIhikers
10-12-2010, 20:26
And why does there even need to be an explaination other than the bears were doing what wild animals sometimes do?

Tucky
10-13-2010, 11:44
I think I've been backpacking with you Gadget...your name sounds familiar. Perhaps it was last year around September with the Mountaineers doing Cathedral Rock?

Spokes
10-13-2010, 12:11
Number of pairs of boots/trailrunners gone through= 6

BrianLe
10-13-2010, 17:00
"I think I've been backpacking with you Gadget...your name sounds familiar. Perhaps it was last year around September with the Mountaineers doing Cathedral Rock?"

Yup, I led a 30-some mile Mountaineer trip in that area, around then I think --- a loop by Cathedral Rock and then a side trip to hop up to Tuck & Robin lakes. If it's the trip I'm thinking of, I was feeling ill on that side trip and just hung out in my Gatewood Cape at Tuck lake. Turned out well, as I met a couple of folks that had hiked the PCT the same year I had (small world!).

I don't do much with the Mountaineers (http://www.mountaineers.org/), but hope to lead some more backpacking trips with them as time permits.

Obligatory thread-related comment: ditto with Spokes, I think I used 6 pairs of shoes on the AT, though I started with an old pair and am still using the pair I finished with (does that really make it more like 5?).