PDA

View Full Version : Tarp question.

hallelujahjafar
10-12-2010, 22:04
Hey guys,
I've been looking into getting myself a tarp for the colder seasons since the bugs will be settling down. I'm not looking into getting an expensive tarp, but it would be nice to have a decent one. So far I've come down to these choices.

Equinox 6X8 @ 59.99
Weight: 9.2 oz

OR

REI Blue Poly Tarp 6x8 @ $3.50
Weight: 11 oz

I know this almost seems like a ridiculous question, but I guess I don't want to waste my time waiting on the $3.50 tarp and it end up not being able to do the job well.

So what are some qualities I need to look for when deciding?

If any of you have used this $3.50 tarp, please fill me in on your opinion of it.

Finally, they also offer a 8x10 tarp as well. Is there any reason I should consider this one over the 6x8. It seems that a 6x8 would do the job, but I am unsure to be honest seeing that I've never experimented with one.

Wise Old Owl
10-12-2010, 22:12
Poly can be noisy in wind... tried it...

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=38147&catid=511

hallelujahjafar
10-12-2010, 22:21
Yeah, I never considered the noise side of things. Do you have any cheap alternatives in mind while watching weight at the same time?

Tinker
10-12-2010, 22:28
Yeah, I never considered the noise side of things. Do you have any cheap alternatives in mind while watching weight at the same time?
Basic coated nylon tarps are available at REI and other places, but they are relatively heavy compared to silnylon, and might just be as heavy as the poly tarps.
I've had grommets tear out on poly tarps, but that was when I was using them to haul leaves. My Equinox 10x12 is my go-to winter hammock tarp, and I haven't had any problems with it. I've used it about 20 times, though, not much, really. The grommets, though less desirable than webbing loops, according to most folks, seem to be holding up well.

Feral Bill
10-12-2010, 22:43
I'd go with an 8x10 tarp of whatever material. That gets you palatial quarters rather than barely enough. If you want to just try out tarping, plain black poly tarps work well and last a fairly long time at near zero cost. Use pebbles tied in little pockets of tarp for attachment. If tarping turns out to be for you, get a nice silnylon tarp then.

FB

Lyle
10-12-2010, 23:12
I've used a blue poly tarp from the hardware store for an extended camp when I worked at Vision Quest. It held up quite well and offered very good protection/space for luxurious fall/winter camping in wooded Pennsylvania. I used the Flying Diamond setup.

For backpacking, I would go with silnylon or coated nylon.

hallelujahjafar
10-13-2010, 00:04
You know, you are right FB. I guess I should approach this in a way that I'm only giving it a shot. It'd be a lot better for me to buy the cheap one if I'm not sure I'm going to like it anyway.

Thank you all for the information as for durability and sound.

As for weight, I'd say that a 18oz 8x10 tarp is much better than carrying a 3+ pound tent any day haha. Hopefully the noise doesn't keep me up all night, but once again, this is temporary.

FWB
10-13-2010, 00:21
I have the Equinox 8x10. Not as high tech as some of the more expensive hammock tarps out there, but I've used it many times and it works great! It's also big enough to rig as a rain shelter for several people. One thing to remember with the Equinox tarps - the ties for a ridge line are oriented along the SHORT dimension, so the 6x8 is designed to be 6 feet long with a 4x6 flap on each side.

Mountain Wildman
10-13-2010, 01:08
Integral Designs Siltarp 5 X 8 $58.95 and weighs 7 ounces.
Top quality, I have the yellow but you can also get grey if you choose.
http://www.e-omc.com/catalog/products/528/Integral-Designs-SilTarp.html

Dogwood
10-13-2010, 02:24
If you are just starting out with tarps I suggest you look for a 7 X 9 tarp preferably in silny with webbing tie out loops.

That was a good pt that FWB made about the orientation of Equinox tarps ridge line tie outs.

It's nice to have extra under tarp area space when beginning with tarps. Considering you plan on using one in the fall/winter it might be even more so.

Stick with straight rectangular tarp or go for a curvalinear to start and then you can switch to some thing more exotic in shape as you gain experience.

webyrd
10-13-2010, 08:37
An 8 foot length is a little short to keep you dry in a wind-blown rain.

Danielsen
10-13-2010, 09:44
With a 6x8 foot tarp you have to keep in mind that it's not going to cover 6x8 feet when pitched, especially if you're going for a rather weatherproof pitch. I'm a small person and I can just barely make the 5x8 poly tarp I've got at the moment work when it's raining. It's also one of those heavy-duty poly tarps so it's ridiculously heavy for its size; at least 2 pounds. I found a hardwear store with much lighter poly tarps so I'll be switching it for an 8x10 soon, and probably sticking with that until I've saved up for cuben. :D

hallelujahjafar
10-13-2010, 10:53
Yeah, I've been really wishing I had the income for a cuben tarp. Once I started thinking about it, I realized how ridiculous it would be for me to buy that expensive of a tarp and not even like tarping.

It seems that I should get something bigger than a 6x8 so I'll start looking into those options.

I guess if I were to buy a silnyl tarp and not really enjoy it I could always use it for my hammock instead of using the stock hennessy tarp. Seems that it would provide much more cover. I'd like to switch to using a guyline for my tarp anyway rather than depending on the hammock being up before I can put the tarp up too.

tammons
10-13-2010, 11:00
6x8 is too small for me.

Use a 8x10 tarp unless you have a waterproof bivy sack.
If you want to just try it out for a few days go for a polytarp.
Just glue some tieouts to the middle of the sides and that will help.

Or go to campmor and get a 8x10 silnylon which weighs 13oz.
They now have these in olive green. I think they are equinox.

They also have a 10x12 which is huge and weighs 19oz but its big enough it can be set up like a tent in foul weather with doors. It will also cover a hammock in tent mode.

Either a 8x10 or 10x12 are great for hammocks if you ever want to try that out.

sbhikes
10-13-2010, 11:21
The Equinox 8x10 is a fine product. I'm happy with mine. It is quiet in wind. It can get a bit saggy with condensation. It's very roomy and there are numerous pitch choices. One that I like is to fold it in half and make an 8x5 lean-to. The full-size A-frame is huge, too. The more expensive tarps often have caternary cuts but then you are limited in how you can set them up. So I stick with my flat tarp for the variety.

brooklynkayak
10-13-2010, 21:41
So I stick with my flat tarp for the variety.

Ditto,

Equinox makes a good 8x10 tarp. Inexpensive and flexible. Experience will make you appreciate it, but at first it may seem awkward.

There are tarps with extra tie-outs like Oware. They are even more flexible.

MissHailey
04-19-2012, 13:46
I personally like Poly Tarps (http://www.tarpsplus.com/poly-tarps.html) over any other kind of tarp, they are light weight, durable and inexpensive, and if you tie it down correctly then you won't have much of a noise problem..

coach lou
04-19-2012, 13:54
For twenty years I used the Fly from my EMS 2 man dome, That is now shredded, pics of it up are in my gallery. I now put up the fly from our Eureka Dome, when the Mrs. is along or I know it'll be real buggy I hang a net under it. Works great, no heavyer than a bought 'Tarp', double duty.

Mags
04-19-2012, 14:26
FWIW, I used an 8x10 Equinox tarp on my PCT hike. Affordable, relatively light, versatile and spacious. Good 'bread and butter' tarp. Pair it with some mosuito netting, the stakes and rope and a polycro ground cloth and you have a good little shelter for roughly 1.5 lbs and for a little over a C-note.

WingedMonkey
04-19-2012, 14:36
I personally like Poly Tarps (http://www.tarpsplus.com/poly-tarps.html) over any other kind of tarp, they are light weight, durable and inexpensive, and if you tie it down correctly then you won't have much of a noise problem..

MissSpam, please stop trying to sell your cheap stuff here by waking up OLD threads.