PDA

View Full Version : Sourdough

Wise Old Owl
10-12-2010, 23:22
Man did live on bread alone... They were called sourdough's. Before I go read up on how they did it... are there any of you that have it down pat?

woodsy
10-13-2010, 03:18
Been keeping a batch of starter alive for about 9 months now. Make 2 loaves a week.
The starter has Alaskan origins and is said to be the same strain that Dick Proenneke
used while holed up many years in the bush. Link to it here (http://alaskasgoldenspoon.com/page2.cfm?recordid=45)
Hard to eat that store bought (commercial) bread anymore.
I recommend it, try starting your own or buy some dried and just add water.
The best tasting sourdough bread IMO is made with At least 3/4 unbleached all purpose flour with the remainder being whole wheat flour,either white or red. this blend doesn't overpower the soudough flavor like an all whole wheat bread does.

The starter stays in the fridge when not in use, take it out and warm it up a few hours to get it active before using, good stuff, economical too !
Takes about a 1/2 hr to get a couple loaves mixed by hand and kneaded, ready to rise.
It rises slowly , 6-8 hrs depending on ambient temp.before it gets punched down and into bread pans for the final rise (couple more hrs). The slow rise is what gives it the unique fermented flavor.

Any questions about it drop me a pm, i log in once in awhile. ;)

Fiddleback
10-14-2010, 10:42
We had a batch so long that it became sentient. Then the little bubbles formed into what looked like a face and I couldn't eat it any more...

FB:D