PDA

View Full Version : New to Hiking

Hiker & Son
10-13-2010, 18:40
My son (age 10) and I are interested in taking up hiking and camping. We are thinking of having to carry no more than what would be necessary for a one week (7 day) trip. We are no quite ready for going ultralight.

Any suggestions on tents (2 person); sleeping bags; back packs would be helpful.

We live in Virginia, but plan to try and hike all along the trial. Most of our "long" hikes will be during the first few weeks in June.

yari
10-13-2010, 19:10
Overall this site has excellent information. Check out the forums for the gear section and you will probably find out more than you want to know.

Welcome to the hiker community and I hope you enjoy!

Spokes
10-13-2010, 19:13
Wow, you should get a lot of different opinions. Here's my two cents worth:

Start slow- maybe an overnighter or weekender to get your pack "system" tuned would be better? You want to avoid frustration just out the box....

Don't visit an outfitter like REI and expect to buy all your gear in one trip- Typically you'll overspend and buy all sorts of stuff that you simply don't need.

Here's two articles to get you started researching gear. While focused on thru-hiking the information contained in them is solid.

Backpacker Magazine article on the AT (http://www.backpacker.com/november_2008_american_classic_hiking_the_appalach ian_trail/destinations/12530). Note- it's 10 pages long and there are some gear recommendations.

The Mountain Crossings Gear List (http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4). From pack guru Winton Porter. No specific brand recommendations rather it lets you know how to put together an 18 lb base weight winter pack. Tweek it for the summer months.

MkBibble
10-13-2010, 19:24
... Any suggestions on tents (2 person); sleeping bags; back packs would be helpful...

I remember seeing this tent for sale. I have one and love it; great price if it is still available!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=65510

Have fun!

Doc Mike
10-13-2010, 21:52
My son and i went with hammocks and it has been the best choice ever. i noticed the earth's crust getting harder and no pad made it as comfy as my hammock.

As said above start slow with a child plan short days with plenty of just camping and playing.

Doc Mike

rpenczek
10-14-2010, 14:19
You note you are not ready for ultralight, but please give good consideration to going really light. Even when car camping I am much happier with my light gear.

You also don't mention cost, this varies widely and with new gear and an inverse relationship with weight (generally).

I was very late in finding this site, so I have the bad luck of owning four backpacks, three sleeping bags and three tents (each got progressivly lighter). Also, the following items are IMHO and others might have different suggestions. I backpacking about 25 days a year and have found a very happy place with my pack at 35/38 pounds (which includes 5 days of food and two liters of water).

Most folks here will tell you to get your backpack last (so you know it will fit your gear). I agree with them. But I will give you some of my ideas as to what is good value/good weight.

Backpacks:
GraniteGear Nimbus Meridian $250
Deuter ACT Lite 65+10 $185 (this pack will also be great for your son when he is just a little older (about 11) and will grow with him everafter.

Sleeping bags (assumes a 3 season bag or about 20 to 35 degree)
Mont Bell ultralight down hugger 30 degree $350
Marmot Pounder Plus 35 degree $180
Campmor down 20 degree $120

Tents:
If you are ready for a tarptent type tent (not an open tarp):
Tarptent Rainbow II, Cloudburst, Squall
Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo

If you want a double wall tent (traditional tent):
Big Agnes SL2 or SL3 (I would get the SL3 for a little more space and not much more weight)
Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight - not free standing
Mountainhardware Lightpath 2 or 3 (I would get the 3 for a little more room) - not freestanding

Note: the three traditional tents are very light, but the tarptents cut that weight in more than 1/2.

A pack for your son will be harder to find (he is young and growing) Deuter makes a good kids pack (Fox I think) that has a large adjustment range.

Research before you buy and have fun

rpenczek
10-14-2010, 14:20
Ooops, you note your son is 10, if he is a bigger boy (taller), the ACT Lite might work for him now.

leaftye
10-14-2010, 14:25
You note you are not ready for ultralight, but please give good consideration to going really light. Even when car camping I am much happier with my light gear.

You also don't mention cost, this varies widely and with new gear and an inverse relationship with weight (generally).

I was very late in finding this site, so I have the bad luck of owning four backpacks, three sleeping bags and three tents (each got progressivly lighter). Also, the following items are IMHO and others might have different suggestions. I backpacking about 25 days a year and have found a very happy place with my pack at 35/38 pounds (which includes 5 days of food and two liters of water).

Most folks here will tell you to get your backpack last (so you know it will fit your gear). I agree with them. But I will give you some of my ideas as to what is good value/good weight.

Backpacks:
GraniteGear Nimbus Meridian $250
Deuter ACT Lite 65+10 $185 (this pack will also be great for your son when he is just a little older (about 11) and will grow with him everafter.

Sleeping bags (assumes a 3 season bag or about 20 to 35 degree)
Mont Bell ultralight down hugger 30 degree $350
Marmot Pounder Plus 35 degree $180
Campmor down 20 degree $120

Tents:
If you are ready for a tarptent type tent (not an open tarp):
Tarptent Rainbow II, Cloudburst, Squall
Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo

If you want a double wall tent (traditional tent):
Big Agnes SL2 or SL3 (I would get the SL3 for a little more space and not much more weight)
Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight - not free standing
Mountainhardware Lightpath 2 or 3 (I would get the 3 for a little more room) - not freestanding

Note: the three traditional tents are very light, but the tarptents cut that weight in more than 1/2.

A pack for your son will be harder to find (he is young and growing) Deuter makes a good kids pack (Fox I think) that has a large adjustment range.

Research before you buy and have fun

I came to recommend these two. The tent SMD tent is best if you already use trekking poles. These two items compromise little to nothing and put you well on the way to ultralight.

One other tent option if you use trekking poles is the Lightheat Duo.