PDA

View Full Version : Am I an Ultra light hiker...or at least close?

UCONNMike
12-07-2004, 22:24
these are the essentials for my thru-hike

3 lbs 13 oz(61oz), Mountainsmith Auspex Internal Frame Pack
2 lbs 6 oz(38oz), Slumberjack Super Guide 30°F
2 lbs 4 oz(36oz), Hennessy EXPLORER ULTRALITE A-SYM
14 oz, Ridge-Rest Sleeping pad

cooking gear
4.8 oz, Titanium Trek 700 Pot
10 grams (.35 oz), Moutain Dew Can Stove

total = 9.63 pounds

I have a feeling I'm doing a really good job, can anyone give me a pat on the back for my tireless gear research? :D

SGT Rock
12-07-2004, 22:35
Well, you are not a true ultralight hiker, to do that your base weight of EVERYTHING would be less than the items you are listing now, but you are doing well. The real test is: are you comfortable with that?

UCONNMike
12-07-2004, 22:40
thanks sgt. rock, you opion means alot to me. I tryed to keep everything down in weigh, cause i wanna be as comfy as possible (and by comfy I mean a pack that wieghs as little as possible). I'm happy to hear that all my time spent researching gear rather than do essays for school is paying off. thanks again.

Happy
12-07-2004, 23:26
You are doing well, but if you want comparisons go to Ultralite Forum and scroll way down to a thread I did on the "Weight of your Big Four" and it will give you valuable insight and comparisons...congratulations on your research!

A-Train
12-07-2004, 23:57
I would stick with what you've got uconn. For starting weight, thats decently low, much more so than the average thru-hiker. With a june 1st start and a 30 degree bag you can literally carry very little clothing which will save you much weight (rain jacket, long sleeve shirt, socks, maybe a hat). I'd make adjustments along the way and see what you're comfortable with. You'll learn a ton within the first few weeks and quicky figure out what you can ditch. If you do want to get a lighter bag or pack you can always stop at the outfitters along the way. With your start date, you won't see much variation in weather until new england, so you shouldnt be scratching ur head and taking chances as much as most thru-hikers do in the "intermediate" months of april and may

neo
12-08-2004, 00:01
hey its better than the 60 lbs alice combat pack i carried on my georgia 2001 section hike.
9.2oz fanatic fringe pack
12 oz tacoma solo tarp and titanium stakes
24 oz 32 mountain hardware phantom 32 sleeping bag
7oz mount washington high country sleeping bag:banana :) :jump :clap :bse
examples what i carry now

SalParadise
12-08-2004, 02:26
yep, what you got now ain't too bad. You're right at that line now where to go 2 or 3 pounds lighter from what you listed is going go cost you a good deal of money. You'll definitely know if you need or want an upgrade once you've put a few hundred miles behind you.

chris
12-08-2004, 11:12
There are two parts to the term: "Ultalight" and "Hiker". Cutting weight is an interesting intellectual exercise, but doesn't do you much good unless you are also a hiker. Remember that the point is to hike. Get out as much as you can and get an idea for what it is you really need, and what may be superfluous. The more time you spend in the outdoors, the more skill you'll develop. Skill weighs nothing and thus the ultimate in ultralighting. Plus, it is fun to get into the outofdoors. Take what you have, and hit the hills for a day, or a night, or a weekend. Just make sure that you go.

By the way, to show that I am not an "anti"ultralighter, here are my weights for the gear you listed from last summer (not pushing the ultralight envelope on the GDT):

ULA P1-X pack 33.8 oz
Western Mountaineering Ultralight sleeping bag, in sack 33.5 oz
Henry Shires Tarp Tent Virga, 8 stakes, groundcloth, poles 30 oz
3/4 Z-rest 12 oz
SnowPeak Giga Stove 3.8 oz
Evernew 1.3 L Ti pot 5.8 oz

Total of 118.9 oz, or 7.43 lbs.

I could certainly drop this by probably 2 lbs if I really wanted to, but I'd have to give up some flexibility and convenience. To me, it isn't worth pushing weight down much more until I lose some more from around my gut.

HikeLite
12-08-2004, 12:01
It seems most have defined ultralight as a base pack weight (excludes food, water, cooking fuel, clothing worn) below 12 pounds, not an essentials pack weight.

UCONNMike
03-13-2005, 07:40
I'm Doing a little follow up to my original post, as i have everything finialized for my upcoming thru-hike. the only items not included on my list is a small pocket journal, a pen, stuff sacks for extra clothes and food (which will be of the golite variety), and my data book.

Gear List:

Pack - 2 lbs 2 oz (34oz), Granite Gear Vapor Trail
Sleeping Bag - 2 lbs 6 oz (38oz), Slumberjack Super Guide 30°F
Bag Liner - 1 lb (16oz), Cocoon Flannel Mummy Liner (added temp. + 12.2 degrees)
Shelter - 2 lbs 4 oz (36oz), Hennessy Explorer Ultralite A-SYM
Sleeping Pad - 9 oz, Therm-a-Rest RidgeRest 3/4
Cook System - 15 oz, Jetboil PCS
Fuel - 3.5 oz, JetPower Fuel

Extra Shirt - 4.8 oz, Medalist Dri-Max T-Shirt
Long Sleeve Shirt - 7.3 oz, Medalist Dri-Max Mock-T-Top (long sleeve)
Extra Shorts - 5.3 oz, Adidas running shorts
Underwear - ~ 2.0 oz, EMS CoolMax Brief
Socks - 2.0 oz, Smartwool Adrenaline mini crew socks (one pair)
Rain Gear - 4.0 oz , Ibex Bug Wing Pullover Jacket
Pack Cover - 1.1 oz , EMS Ultralite Pack Cover
Towel - 0.4 oz, Camp Towel (cut into small square)
Utensil - 0.4 oz, Lexan Spoon
Rope - 2.5 oz , Paracord (40 ft.)
Light - 2.8 oz, Petzl Tikka Plus Headlamp (w/ batteries)
Knife - 1.3 oz, Gerber Ridge
Multi-Tool - 1.75 oz , Leatherman Micra
Water Container - 0.8 oz (1.6 0z), Platypus 1 liter reservoir (2)
Camera - 7.1 oz, Olympus Stylus 410 Digital (w/ Battery)

Pack Base Weight = 195.85 oz (12.24 lbs)

UCONNMike
03-15-2005, 22:00
You also have some interesting gear selections.

A 1 pound cotton flannel bag liner?? Dude cotton sux, you know that!

I don't see any insulating layer on there, maybe a light weight fleece or a heavier weight top??
I won't be carrying the liner at all times, i needed more warmth than the silk liners provided, plus the silk ones are tre expensive...as far as the insulating layer goes, I dont want to carry a fleece, I have that long sleeve top, if i find myself being really cold I'll have my Pop send it to me...but other than that I dont wanna carry it. I abandoned the mountain dew can stove i made casue for two reasons: a) jetboil hooked me up with a free cook system to test for them while on my hike and b) The weight difference wasnt that much as far as oz was concerned between the jetboil with fuel and the dew stove/ cook pot/ windscreen/ denatured alcohol/ and fuel bottle. but thanks for the pat on the back, I worked hard to reduce the weight as much as posible.

UCONNMike
03-15-2005, 22:04
I just started looking at silk liner's, since you made me all self concious for having the flanel one...even though it is the lightest one i could find that wasnt silk, and i got it on sale for 20 bones, but if you know of a good/inexpensive silk mummy liner that can provide close to 10 degrees extra warmth than I'm all ears

Nearly Normal
03-15-2005, 22:11
Check out jag-bags. I bought one and they were very helpful with the alterations/add-ons I wanted. Very nice folks.
pete

erichlf
03-15-2005, 23:33
That cotton liner may end up killing you instead of keeping you warm.

Happy
03-16-2005, 00:38
Check out jag-bags. I bought one and they were very helpful with the alterations/add-ons I wanted. Very nice folks.
pete

I highly endorse Jag.bags.com. ...good luck! :sun

UCONNMike
03-16-2005, 00:53
re: liners

If you look at the weight of your sleep system it is 3#, 6 oz. (2#, 6oz bag, 1# liner)
With that weight you could get a warmer bag, or even a warmer bag that is lighter! and carry a cool max liner, from campmor for $5, and still be lighter than your current system detailed above. what are you talking about? my logic isnt flawed...you cant compare a fleece to a sleeping bag, that comment just made you look rediculous. I'd liek to see your pack list, full of just in case items, and plenty of lexan sporks. The bag liner is somethign that i will prob reconsider now, becasue of your contructive critasism. So if you wanna continue to linger on that topic go ahead (again, I'd love to see your pack list). I did a section hiek through CT and MA, and the things that thru-hikers told me about what to ditch and what to keep have always stayed with me, most said not to even botehr with rain gear in the summer, and not to carry warm clothing during the hot summer months. So as I said, if it gets cold...I'll get my fleece, but when i leave in June on my flip flop from harpers ferry, I dont antisapate cold temps during the day.

*** mate

Singletrack
03-16-2005, 00:55
I'm Doing a little follow up to my original post, as i have everything finialized for my upcoming thru-hike. the only items not included on my list is a small pocket journal, a pen, stuff sacks for extra clothes and food (which will be of the golite variety), and my data book.

Gear List:

Pack - 2 lbs 2 oz (34oz), Granite Gear Vapor Trail
Sleeping Bag - 2 lbs 6 oz (38oz), Slumberjack Super Guide 30°F
Bag Liner - 1 lb (16oz), Cocoon Flannel Mummy Liner (added temp. + 12.2 degrees)
Shelter - 2 lbs 4 oz (36oz), Hennessy Explorer Ultralite A-SYM
Sleeping Pad - 9 oz, Therm-a-Rest RidgeRest 3/4
Cook System - 15 oz, Jetboil PCS
Fuel - 3.5 oz, JetPower Fuel

Extra Shirt - 4.8 oz, Medalist Dri-Max T-Shirt
Long Sleeve Shirt - 7.3 oz, Medalist Dri-Max Mock-T-Top (long sleeve)
Extra Shorts - 5.3 oz, Adidas running shorts
Underwear - ~ 2.0 oz, EMS CoolMax Brief
Socks - 2.0 oz, Smartwool Adrenaline mini crew socks (one pair)
Rain Gear - 4.0 oz , Ibex Bug Wing Pullover Jacket
Pack Cover - 1.1 oz , EMS Ultralite Pack Cover
Towel - 0.4 oz, Camp Towel (cut into small square)
Utensil - 0.4 oz, Lexan Spoon
Rope - 2.5 oz , Paracord (40 ft.)
Light - 2.8 oz, Petzl Tikka Plus Headlamp (w/ batteries)
Knife - 1.3 oz, Gerber Ridge
Multi-Tool - 1.75 oz , Leatherman Micra
Water Container - 0.8 oz (1.6 0z), Platypus 1 liter reservoir (2)
Camera - 7.1 oz, Olympus Stylus 410 Digital (w/ Battery)

Pack Base Weight = 195.85 oz (12.24 lbs)
You might need a first kit, and toilet paper. Leaves get rough after a couple of days. Is your rain jacket water proof or water resistant? A Bandanna comes in handy. Deet helps, when the bugs are bad, especially if your heading north late in the Thru Hiking season. A tooth brush and paste, along with floss will save your parents a ton in dental bills. I always carry a whistle. Great for scaring bears away trying to get your food. You will need a water filter, but I use Aqua Mira. You definately need a fleece jacket or something similar for warmth. Looks like you need to add a couple more pounds. Have a great hike.

UCONNMike
03-16-2005, 01:06
You might need a first kit, and toilet paper. Leaves get rough after a couple of days. Is your rain jacket water proof or water resistant? A Bandanna comes in handy. Deet helps, when the bugs are bad, especially if your heading north late in the Thru Hiking season. A tooth brush and paste, along with floss will save your parents a ton in dental bills. I always carry a whistle. Great for scaring bears away trying to get your food. You will need a water filter, but I use Aqua Mira. You definately need a fleece jacket or something similar for warmth. Looks like you need to add a couple more pounds. Have a great hike.
I will have the tooth brush, i gotta get one and cut it up and drill holes in it to decrease its weight. I haven't doen that yet, and i forgot to add it to stuff not included list above. i will be carrying aqua mira, another item on the list i forgot, and i didnt list toilet paper just because i dont plan on having a full roll, ill grab some in towns at public restrooms or where-ever. the jacket is water proof, or at least ibex said so. and a bandana will be tied to the shoulder strap for easy sweat clean up, i have that on my things im wearing list, id say in all there is maybe 16 oz of gear left to put in my pack. as far as the odds and ends go. Why do you suggest a feece so adimetly? if i am that cold ill call it a day and set up camp and get into my sleeping bag to warm up.

Singletrack
03-16-2005, 01:24
I will have the tooth brush, i gotta get one and cut it up and drill holes in it to decrease its weight. I haven't doen that yet, and i forgot to add it to stuff not included list above. i will be carrying aqua mira, another item on the list i forgot, and i didnt list toilet paper just because i dont plan on having a full roll, ill grab some in towns at public restrooms or where-ever. the jacket is water proof, or at least ibex said so. and a bandana will be tied to the shoulder strap for easy sweat clean up, i have that on my things im wearing list, id say in all there is maybe 16 oz of gear left to put in my pack. as far as the odds and ends go. Why do you suggest a feece so adimetly? if i am that cold ill call it a day and set up camp and get into my sleeping bag to warm up.
Yes, using the sleeping bag to warm up is great, but there is time, such as stopping for lunch at a shelter, and it has been raining all day, you will become cold. A fleece would be more practical then, than jumping in your sleeping bag. There are other reasons, when you get out there, you will see. It does not have to be a heavy weight fleece. Maybe 100 wt. Many times I have become almost hypothermic in the Southern Mountains, after and while walking all day in the rain. Hope this helps.

schwenkler
03-16-2005, 12:32
If you're starting a flip flop in June you'll be very toasty with what you have. Hiking gives you all the heat you need. Throw on the jacket if you're cold, the long sleeve shirt if you're freezing, and change into dry clothes when you stop. By the time it gets cold you'll know if you need something extra.

If I was hiking with your gear, I'd end up sending home the extra shirt, rope, micro tool, and I'd be pissed that my JetBoil was so heavy, but I'd be happy. Smartwool Adrenaline socks are the best thing made by man. I'm wearing mine right now.

UCONNMike
03-17-2005, 01:58
Sorry dude. My comments are really incoherent in that last post. I was really tired then, and was kinda typing out my thoughts rather than thinking them out.

First of all, I didn't know you are flip-flopping, that is a key part in chosing your gear.

I don't know how you or anyone else can feel comfortable going im the woods without rain gear, or any other warmth/insulating layer. I know that you are bringing rain gear, but those who told you not to bring rain gear and no insulation whatsovever? ***?? Again, HYOH, you can do this if you want.

Again, I'm not sure how the thought of bringing a 1 pound cotton flanner liner crossed you mind, but..

I like the lexan spork jab.
If you're going to try and flame me, at least make an effort to use proper grammar. What the hell are you in school for?
haha, I'm a management and a history major...in addition I'm going for my teachers certification, and it's pathetic to say (esp with the poor grammer, due mostly to not proof reading my WB posts) I'm an English minor as well, and a Theatre minor too.
Way to take the spork jab like a good sport ;)
yeah, I never gave too much thought to a silk liner, i got wrapped up in trying to find a light cotton/fleece one, which this one is relativly light for flannel. but in all likleyhood ill be getting a silk one now...

Jaybird
03-17-2005, 09:28
It seems most have defined ultralight as a base pack weight (excludes food, water, cooking fuel, clothing worn) below 12 pounds, not an essentials pack weight.

Its according to WHO u are asking?

I've always heard/read an "ULTRA-LITER" is a 10 LBS & BELOW "BIG FOUR".
(backpack, sleeping bag, tent or tarp & sleeping pad)