PDA

View Full Version : help with neo air

Megapixel
10-14-2010, 09:43
Today is the day I'm going to take my tarptent and run lines on the floor to prevent my Neo-Air mattress from sliding all over creation at night. But now I read that this doesn't always work... just need some opinions here this morning as I'm heading out to do this... the best way, lines or circles, or maybe use a different method like velcro strips or something???
I don't want to put down silicone on the floor if its not going to work as it will make it harder to clean the floor for no reason.

:confused:

Storm
10-14-2010, 10:51
I put dots on my Tarptent so it would be easier to clean. My Neo Air still slides on it. Not sure how to cure this. Finding level ground seems to be the best solution. I hate to add anything else to the tent because it defeats the purpose of having a light tent. If you find something that works be sure to post it because I'd like to know.:)

grayfox
10-14-2010, 11:02
A small square of shelf liner from walmart works for me. I put it under my hips and it stays in place well enough through the night though I toss and turn a lot. I just couldn't bring myself to put silicone on the tent floor. It is very light and keeps the mat from unrolling when I pack them together.

BrianLe
10-14-2010, 11:04
At the expense of a bit more weight (about 2 oz), consider buying a 1/8" thinlight pad (http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/thinlight.html?id=c7MyVcGm:71.35.119.29) from Gossamer Gear and putting it under the Neo-air. Beyond "not sliding", benefits include perhaps reduced chance of leaks (I've never had a leak in an inflatable over thousands of miles of backpacking), and some minor bump to the overall R-value (i.e., a slightly warmer pad on cold nights).

Kerosene
10-14-2010, 11:04
I'd go with the shelf liner before you go to the trouble of putting a bunch of seam-sealer on the floor.

Kerosene
10-14-2010, 11:07
At the expense of a bit more weight (about 2 oz), consider buying a 1/8" thinlight pad (http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/thinlight.html?id=c7MyVcGm:71.35.119.29) from Gossamer Gear and putting it under the Neo-air. Of course, you could cut down the pad to further reduce weight, but my biggest gripe with closed-cell pads is the volume they take up in (or outside of) your pack. If you cut it down to something smaller than the size of your NeoAir shortie then you should be able to fit it inside your pack as a tube, packing the rest of your gear inside the tube.

ChinMusic
10-14-2010, 11:19
less - Have you tried it without the bits of sealer? I have read of others complaining about "sliding all over the place" and was concerned. I am an active sleeper but don't find sliding around to be an issue at all. I have added nothing to the floor of my Lunar Solo and do just fine.

Megapixel
10-14-2010, 11:38
i currently have nothing on the floor and yes we both slide around like crazy unless we are on completely level ground, and even then it is a small problem. I will try the shelf liner and get back with my results. thanks to everyone who has posted, tremendous help and you saved me from getting my tent floor all messy!

le loupe
10-14-2010, 12:01
But now I read that this doesn't always work... just need some opinions here this morning as I'm heading out to do this... the best way, lines or circles, or maybe use a different method like velcro strips or something???

from an engineering perspective-

The NeoAir has horizontal ribs.
You need contact with the silicone in order to "anchor" it. More contact = more likely not to move.

Dots offer the least contact area. Dots can more easily land between the ribs of the Neo air.

Lines or strips-

Vertical strips make contact to the neo ribs guaranteed, but much silicone serves no purpose once pad is in place. You are only making contact with about half the silicone. You could start with 3 or 4 strips evenly spaced to Neo width. Add more if required.

If I were to do this I think I would choose horizontal lines, about 1" wide, carefully spaced to match the ribs of the neo air. Pad can only move 1"-2" head-to-toe and will make full contact with each silicone strip. I would start with every 4th rib and add more later if more contact is needed.

Use blue painters tape to layout and mask your ground cloth for a careful job when painting on your thinned silicone

ChinMusic
10-14-2010, 12:10
from an engineering perspective-

The NeoAir has horizontal ribs.
You need contact with the silicone in order to "anchor" it. More contact = more likely not to move.

Dots offer the least contact area. Dots can more easily land between the ribs of the Neo air.

Lines or strips-

Vertical strips make contact to the neo ribs guaranteed, but much silicone serves no purpose once pad is in place. You are only making contact with about half the silicone. You could start with 3 or 4 strips evenly spaced to Neo width. Add more if required.

If I were to do this I think I would choose horizontal lines, about 1" wide, carefully spaced to match the ribs of the neo air. Pad can only move 1"-2" head-to-toe and will make full contact with each silicone strip. I would start with every 4th rib and add more later if more contact is needed.

Use blue painters tape to layout and mask your ground cloth for a careful job when painting on your thinned silicone

Why not just put the "dots" on the Neo itself? In that way 100% of your silicone is in use.

Just askin'

le loupe
10-14-2010, 21:09
Why not just put the "dots" on the Neo itself? In that way 100% of your silicone is in use.

Just askin'

good point!

some counters-

Does the silicone make the Neo harder to fold or store?
Which piece of equipment would you rather uglify with silicone?

Franco
10-16-2010, 20:18
I just added the liner to my Moment (retro fitted) and seam sealed another one for a mate so with some left over goo I decided to stripe my Neo Air.
I painted some rather thick stripes (about 1:1 mix) every fourth tube.
Thick in this case is 1-2mm..
I used less than 1oz of silicone.

Does the silicone make the Neo harder to fold or store?
No
Which piece of equipment would you rather uglify with silicone?
I did both. Not a problem for me.

My Moment has "dots" .
On a flat surface the Neo now does grip better than before and shifts the floor with it rather than sliding on it.
How it will work in the field I am not sure but will test this later this week.
I have dotted the floor on my mate's Moment too, he will use either a Z Lite or possible his new Exped DM 7 (built in pump, nice....)
Franco

Megapixel
10-16-2010, 20:23
seems to me the moving tent floor would cause abrasions on the outside of the floor over time. interesting observations though. much appreciated.

I'm going to try the 2 ounces of cabinet shelving paper and see how it works.

Franco
10-16-2010, 20:56
"moving tent floor would cause abrasions on the outside of the floor over time
"
In my case the floor is moving because it is sliding over the carpet, so not a real world "test"
( I have one tent set up in a bedroom and two outside...)
I am going to get some of that rubbery mat too and see what happens with that.
Franco

Megapixel
10-16-2010, 20:57
"moving tent floor would cause abrasions on the outside of the floor over time
"
In my case the floor is moving because it is sliding over the carpet, so not a real world "test"
( I have one tent set up in a bedroom and two outside...)
I am going to get some of that rubbery mat too and see what happens with that.
Franco

thanks franco. let me know how it all ends up.

Johnny Thunder
10-16-2010, 22:23
put the sealer dots ON the pad not the tent

sbhikes
10-17-2010, 21:51

Just askin'
That's what my boyfriend did. He says it works.

Powder River
10-18-2010, 12:41
Today is the day I'm going to take my tarptent and run lines on the floor to prevent my Neo-Air mattress from sliding all over creation at night. But now I read that this doesn't always work... just need some opinions here this morning as I'm heading out to do this... the best way, lines or circles, or maybe use a different method like velcro strips or something???
I don't want to put down silicone on the floor if its not going to work as it will make it harder to clean the floor for no reason.

Why do you need to clean the floor?

I put thick lines of sil-net across the floor of mine. Didn't add more than a half ounce, and now my pad doesn't slide anywhere.

Megapixel
10-18-2010, 15:15
Why do you need to clean the floor?

I put thick lines of sil-net across the floor of mine. Didn't add more than a half ounce, and now my pad doesn't slide anywhere.

Sweeping dirt from the floor of the tent is made more difficult by lines on the floor.

Franco
10-25-2010, 17:10
I have done now a real world test.
The system works.
So what I have is a "dotted" silnylon floor and a striped Neo Air bottom.
Hard to tell the exact weight but I would estimate about 2 oz.
The dots are about 1.5" and rather thick , the stripes on the Neo are about also 1.5" wide all across every 4th tube.
There would be more friction if I had longitudinal stripes on the Moment floor, but it works and I like the look of the dots. Also as mentioned above, the original reason for the dots was for cleaning the floor.
Franco

BrianLe
10-25-2010, 21:03
If it's really 2 oz for these dots and stripes then note again that a 59" long 1/8" thick thinlight pad is also about 2 oz, and adds some thermal and puncture protection, plus is at least a little better than nothing should there be an unrepairable leak.

I suspect it's less than 2 oz however, unless you laid it on really thick (?).

I guess the easy way to guage the weight would be to weigh the tube before and after applying the dots and stripes ...

Megapixel
10-25-2010, 21:28
I have done now a real world test.
The system works.
So what I have is a "dotted" silnylon floor and a striped Neo Air bottom.
Hard to tell the exact weight but I would estimate about 2 oz.
The dots are about 1.5" and rather thick , the stripes on the Neo are about also 1.5" wide all across every 4th tube.
There would be more friction if I had longitudinal stripes on the Moment floor, but it works and I like the look of the dots. Also as mentioned above, the original reason for the dots was for cleaning the floor.
Franco

Thanks again Franco. Do you feel you could've used less and still received the same results, say maybe an ounce or so?

Franco
10-25-2010, 22:07
As Brian suggested I probably over estimated the amount I used .
I cannot measure the real weight now because shelters can vary 1-3 oz from each other as the weight also changes a bit with the humidity level.
The Thinlight would add some sort of warmth and security if the mat goes flat but it also take extra room, so personal preference in the end.
Franco

Megapixel
10-25-2010, 22:25
As Brian suggested I probably over estimated the amount I used .
I cannot measure the real weight now because shelters can vary 1-3 oz from each other as the weight also changes a bit with the humidity level.
The Thinlight would add some sort of warmth and security if the mat goes flat but it also take extra room, so personal preference in the end.
Franco

sure thing. I appreciate the update.

Wise Old Owl
10-26-2010, 00:02
wouldn't four patches of inside - out rolled duct tape work? what about a rubber non skid shelf paper?
http://www.maxisale.com.au/images/D/anti%20slip%20drawer%20mat%201.jpg

Megapixel
01-12-2011, 18:43
So I bought a single thinlight pad and put it under the two neo airs today, right under the hip area bisecting both pads, and it was real sweet > the top and bottom would effectively move a small bit but the entire pad stayed stationary as the hip area was motionless, even when TRYING to move around.
problem solved.

thanks for the suggestions.

Franco
01-12-2011, 19:25
update on my update...
I was way off the mark on my estimate for dots on the floor and stripes on the Neo Air.
I just finished doing a Scarp 2 including dotting the floor with about 1 oz of silicone in total.
So the dots and stripes would be around 1/2 oz or less...
(it is kind of deceiving because I dilute the silicone with mineral spirits but of course that evaporates)
Franco

STICK
01-12-2011, 23:27
So I bought a single thinlight pad and put it under the two neo airs today, right under the hip area bisecting both pads, and it was real sweet > the top and bottom would effectively move a small bit but the entire pad stayed stationary as the hip area was motionless, even when TRYING to move around.
problem solved.

thanks for the suggestions.

The ThinLight pads are great. I like to use mine on top of my Neo and then when I put my pillow on top of the ThinLight it will hold the pillow in place too.

Megapixel
01-12-2011, 23:28
The ThinLight pads are great. I like to use mine on top of my Neo and then when I put my pillow on top of the ThinLight it will hold the pillow in place too.

hey now, don't make me want to get two of them!