PDA

View Full Version : Video of Thruhikers Gear

Mausalot
12-08-2004, 00:13
On the DVD of 2000 Miles to Maine there wasn't enough room for more than four extras. So for those of you who want to see a little extra footage about good gear choices click here (http://homepage.newschool.edu/~at2k/light.htm) (there is also an order button at the bottom of the page if you want to grab a copy of the DVD -- please mention that you read about the movie on White Blaze) There is also a list of gear that the thru hiker took on his trip.

A great gift for the season, Backpacking Light says: "You'll have to forget about the desire for elegance and need for introspection that plagues most amateur wilderness filmmakers. 2000 Miles to Maine, rather, is a comic adventure requiring some level of identification with thru-hiking mentality, the ability to forgive the faults of imperfect characters, and a complete disregard for the rules followed by more traditional walkumentaries...thru-hikers that walk for a non-living will love it; people who dream about being a thru-hiker will either change their mind after seeing this movie, or quit their job immediately and hit the trail"

2000 Miles to Maine (http://homepage.newschool.edu/~at2k/) is also available from Amazon and select retailers. Again, please make sure that you let me know that you found about the movie on White Blaze -- I make a donation to the site for every referral.

Cameraman :dance

The Hog
12-08-2004, 09:42
Backpacking Light says: "You'll have to forget about the desire for elegance and need for introspection that plagues most amateur wilderness filmmakers."
Interesting comment! Does that mean that introspection and elegance are undesirable qualities in a film?

SGT Rock
12-08-2004, 10:15
I more took it (although I may be wrong) that the desire to pull it off isn't always a good thing because it isn't easy to do and can be done badly. For example, "North to Katahdin" did a great job with that, but I probably couldn't do it with a video recorder. "2000 miles to Maine" didn't do the elegance and introspection thing, but then again they really didn't try - probably because that isn't what that film was trying to do anyway. I guess knowing the limits of your filming skills and sticking to that, and doing it well is his point.