PDA

View Full Version : backpack fitting

Megapixel
10-14-2010, 21:46
I do not have the ability to have my wife fitted for a pack professionally due to location, so we are doing the whole vertebrae to hip shelf measurement that u find on most pack companies websites... but here's our dilemma. I am getting 18" exactly, and the sizing is for Granite gear, the small runs15 to 18", and the regular runs 18" -21".
We are measuring as it says, but also from the very middle of that bone that protrudes at the neck. I'm wondering if a more exact measurement would be from the top or bottom of it???

Looking to buy soon from the Clymb... your help is appreciated.

burntoutphilosopher
10-14-2010, 21:49
i am right between two sizes for packs too.

and basically, buy both from a place like REI that takes returns, and send one back is a good option, obviously you'll pay a bit more form REI and have to pay shipping back.

i drove 4 hours to an outdoor store to wear packs around for a day. it was fun. might be worth it ? a 'weekend getaway' ? : )

i'm in a similar place where i have to buy online due to where i live.

burntoutphilosopher
10-14-2010, 21:50
... additionally,

packs fit people different ways, wearing one around will give you a lot of insight. i always knew i was going to buy an exos 58 until i wore it around for half an hour. it can be worth it to make a weekend trip to an outdoor store... if not i'd be really sure to check the returns policy.

skinewmexico
10-14-2010, 22:36
Buy both, send back the one that doesn't work.

grayfox
10-14-2010, 23:19
That site may not accept returns on packs. In that case, I would go with the shorter torso. If the torso is too long, the load lifters will pull the shoulder straps up and the pack will not ride right. If the torso is a bit short, the shoulder straps will still ride ok, if not perfect.

You might want to check around to see if this pack is discounted in other places, or even for a bit more but with a return policy that s more lienient. My internal skeptic wakes up when a product has a short time offer like this.

4eyedbuzzard
10-15-2010, 00:09
I believe they only offer return for merchandise credit, and they don't have inventory to swap for a different size as by the time you return it the limited time sale is over. The site says return shipping is $6.98 but it excludes many items, notably "equipment". Is a pack equipment?

I'm thinking you could likely sell it on eBay or Craigslist breakeven, but it would be a PIA to have to go that route.

I've bought from them with no problems - but never had to return anything or get warranty service.

Rocket Jones
10-15-2010, 06:20
I was right on the borderline for sizing. The store had a medium in stock, so that's what I got. A few days later, I returned it and they ordered me a large. Perfect.

So, I'd second what was said above about ordering from a place that accepts returns. Even if it costs a little more, it's worth it to get a piece of gear that fits right.

Doc Mike
10-15-2010, 06:47
You are in florida? There must be a store within an hour or two at most. I would recommend going to a store and trying on several because diffent brands have different fits even in the same size range. A couple hours invested for a pack that will last several years is a small price to pay. That being said I think most manufacturers recomend going with the smaller size when you are on the border. Another option would be a deuter pack which is adjustable throughout her possible range of sizes.

Doc mike

bigcranky
10-15-2010, 09:25
If you don't know what size to buy -- and even with the measurements, packs fit differently and not always they way you think they will -- then you really should order from a place that offers a good return policy. REI, Campmor, Sierra Trading Post, LL Bean, etc.

If it were me I would go for the shorter pack based on your measurements, but that's just a guess -- worth what you paid for it :).

If you really want to do this right, and do it only once, you should plan a weekend trip to north Georgia, and spend a few hours at the outfitter at Neels Gap, near Dahlonega. They know exactly how to fit a pack. While you are there you can do a little hiking, maybe climb Blood Mountain for fun. Makes a nice late Fall weekend trip.