PDA

View Full Version : Fall In Damascus

Crazy Larry #1
10-15-2010, 08:25
I have been to many places in the world and have witnessed some majestic Fall's. But there is just no where that I have been that compares to this season than right here in Damascus, Virginia.

The colors are just beginning to peak around here and it will be spectacular the next 3-5 days.

Where is your favorite place to hang during this time?

jersey joe
10-15-2010, 08:38
I have been to many places in the world and have witnessed some majestic Fall's. But there is just no where that I have been that compares to this season than right here in Damascus, Virginia.

The colors are just beginning to peak around here and it will be spectacular the next 3-5 days.

I hear you TOW. Fall is a great season. I've always thought that Fall in New England is as good as it gets.

DBRIGGS9
10-15-2010, 08:55
My home state of Vermont is my favorite

Odd Man Out
10-15-2010, 10:15
I vote for Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, MI. Not only do you have the amazing fall colors, but you also have miles of federally protected sand dunes along white sand beaches on the world's largest fresh water lake (by area assuming you consider Lakes MI and Huron to be one lake). BTW, they have reported that the fall colors this year in the upper mid-west are the best they have been in 50 years!:banana

Rick500
10-15-2010, 10:17
I just hiked from Damascus to Grayson Highlands last week. Grayson Highlands was in full fall color...just beautiful.

nighthiker
10-15-2010, 10:21
Mine would be the white mts New Hampshire,,,,,yep. Snow Cover was ontop of Mt Washington by October 6th...and it isnt melting anytime soon...good luck to the late SOBO's

jersey joe
10-15-2010, 11:40
Mine would be the white mts New Hampshire,,,,,yep. Snow Cover was ontop of Mt Washington by October 6th...and it isnt melting anytime soon...good luck to the late SOBO's
How great would it be to begin hiking from Maine in Late September and get to Springer by late November following the peak fall foliage! Of course this would have to be a rediculous, Metzlerian, sub 70 day thru hike...

sidebackside
10-15-2010, 13:03
IMO, there's no place more beautiful than the Smokies this time of year! Breath taking actually...the views up in the higher elevations, lower for that matter, can leave one in aw. I'm sure there are other places just as nice, probably the places that have already been mentioned, but my heart is with those mountains.

Lone Wolf
10-15-2010, 14:47
Jay, Vermont

The Solemates
10-15-2010, 17:56
cant go wrong with fall. vt, nh, me, western carolinas, southwestern va, upstate ny, northeastern tn, colorado, british columbia, ahh....

Tinker
10-15-2010, 19:59
I figure falling in Damascus would hurt pretty much exactly as falling anywhere else. :D

dc101
10-17-2010, 09:23

Nice going to be hiking from Mt Pleasant area on northward to Rockfish Gap this week. Hoping for some sweet fall colors if it's not too late. Southern/Central VA definitely my favorite place this time of year - peace

Praha4
10-17-2010, 15:55
I just missed the snow at Mt Washington, was at the summit on Sept 29th, cool and very windy that day, and fall colors in the Whites were nearing their peak, it was really beautiful. Fall colors all along the AT are fantastic from GA to ME. Most southbounders that left in June should be to southern VA or possibly the Smokies by now and seeing the fall colors at their best.

waywardfool
11-01-2010, 22:47
Spent a weekend in Damascus last fall at peak color, it is terrific.

A little ways out of town near Taylor's Valley
http://sanlee.smugmug.com/Photography/GoodStuff/DSC2586/1053481350_hUSeg-M.jpg

In town:
http://sanlee.smugmug.com/Photography/GoodStuff/DSC2658/1053481449_Jbnj2-M.jpg

East of town on 58:
http://sanlee.smugmug.com/Photography/GoodStuff/DSC2692/1053481506_3XCMn-M.jpg

Sorry I'm missing it this year.

kayak karl
11-01-2010, 22:54
TOW, was a nice drive out of Damascus last thur. colors were nice in NC and Va.

Many Walks
11-02-2010, 17:31
The cliffs overlooking the Northern Mississippi are spectacular this time of year.