PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard forecast for Presidentials

Hoop Time
10-15-2010, 12:29
Got this update this morning from Accuweather re: this weekend's nor'easter:

"
the same nor'easter bringing heavy rain and gusty winds at the end of the week will deliver the first snowfall of the year to some locations of the Northeast U.S. and Quebec.
Enough cold air will congregate on the back side of the nor'easter to bring snow to the high ground of the Adirondack and Catskill mountains of New York, Green Mountains of Vermont, White Mountains of New Hampshire, Longfellow Mountains of Maine, and the Laurentian Mountains of Quebec.
A few other "lucky dog" high ground spots may get some wet snowflakes as far south as northern Pennsylvania as well.
At the very least, wet snow will mix in across these mountains Friday into early Saturday with temperatures dipping into the 30s.
Grassy and wooded ground could even be whitened by slushy snow on the ridges and peaks.
Most roads through the mountains will not be covered with snow, as it will tend to melt as it falls.
However, gusty winds and cold rain, combined with wet leaves, will make for slippery secondary roads.
Winds could even be strong enough to down tree limbs. Gusts over the ridges may top 50 mph.
Certainly over the peaks of the Presidential Range, a blizzard is in store, with over a foot of snow likely."

Odd Man Out
10-15-2010, 12:38
As of 12:30 PM Eastern Time, Mt Washington is at 30 deg F, with light freezing rain and fog. Winds ENE at 66 mph, gusting to 79 with 12.5 inches of snow forecast (as per the Weather.com):sun

Driver8
10-15-2010, 14:08
The high live cams are icing over at the Observatory's website. Google earth show it as raining last night at Stratton, but I wonder if it mightn't've snowed up top. Exciting! I've never liked winter up here before, but now, as a newly confirmed hiking addict, I find it exhilirating. :)

Driver8
10-15-2010, 14:14
"Snow drifts of up to a foot at the summit" as per Stratton's facebook page. I picked the right weekend (last Saturday) to hike the family namesake. :)

Moose2001
10-15-2010, 14:25
Hope all the southbounders are clear of the White's!

Driver8
10-15-2010, 14:27

Looks like they'd do well to be clear of the Greylock range!

weary
10-15-2010, 16:38
All Katahdin trails are closed tomorrow because of the snow. I haven't heard but I suspect they were also closed today, which means thru hikers trying to beat the deadline for camping will have to stay elsewhere waiting for THE weather to improve. Today was the deadline for camping in Baxter park.

Weary

Moose2001
10-15-2010, 17:10
Looks like they'd do well to be clear of the Greylock range!

Looks like you're right. Forecast for Vermont is calling for 1-6" of heavy wet snow above 2000 feet for tonight and into tomorrow!

Driver8
10-15-2010, 19:15
Looks like you're right. Forecast for Vermont is calling for 1-6" of heavy wet snow above 2000 feet for tonight and into tomorrow!

I'm wondering whether the higher elevations in the southern Taconics will also get snow - Everett, Race, Bear, Frissell, etc. That would be neat!

juma
10-16-2010, 12:00

Fredmugs and I saw one heading south toward carter hut on 10/13 at about noon. Hopefully, he stopped at Pinkham Notch. We completed our day and after hearing the weather prediction, decided to stop section hiking as well.