PDA

View Full Version : Which socks should I purchase

rodonne1
10-15-2010, 15:52
Im getting ready to go on a 6 day trip on the AT in N. Georgia during the last week of November. I'm trying to decide between the REI brand hiker socks or the Wigwam coolmax which are currently on sale. I'm planning on getting a pair of quarter length to wear during the day when it warms up and a pair of traditional crew length socks to wear in the evenings when it cools off. Any advise or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

perrito
10-15-2010, 15:56
Darn Tough Vermont (http://www.amazon.com/Darn-Tough-Merino-Micro-Cushion/dp/B000XFZRKU/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IUMEE38Y0R7H3&colid=1YSF5SLX8DPN0). I love 'em. :D

HiKen2011
10-15-2010, 16:03
I love wigwam sox, I'm wearing a pair right now!!!!!!!!!

Luddite
10-15-2010, 16:07
If I had to choose between REI and Wigwam, I'd pick the Wigwams. I prefer Smart Wool Light Hikers though.

johnnybgood
10-15-2010, 16:24
Smart Wool gets my vote. Sams Club sells Omni-Wool socks this time of year for 3pk/$10 . No problems with 'em either.

Toolshed
10-15-2010, 17:40
I was going to say I am bullish on GE brk.b and CITI, til i realized it was SOCKS.....:eek:

Phreak
10-15-2010, 17:46
I'd suggest Wrightsocks over Wigwam or REI brands.

Rocket Jones
10-15-2010, 17:59
I have the Wigwam and there's nothing wrong with them, but the Smartwools are even more comfortable.

I'll have to hit Sam's and look for those Omni-wool.

Namaste
10-15-2010, 18:01
I prefer Smart Wools, too.

mlkelley
10-15-2010, 18:37
Darn Tough Vermont socks ROCK! Kinda pricey, but in my experience they're worth it.

njordan2
10-15-2010, 18:53
Fox River socks. The best I have used. Made in USA too!

10-K
10-15-2010, 19:07
I was going to say I am bullish on GE brk.b and CITI, til i realized it was SOCKS.....:eek:

I loaded up on GE at $6.75 - one of the few times I got in at exactly the right time. :)

Darned Tough and Smartwool work for me.

Tinker
10-15-2010, 19:34
Smart Wool gets my vote. Sams Club sells Omni-Wool socks this time of year for 3pk/$10 . No problems with 'em either.

I heard through the grapevine that the "Smartwool" company (here in the USA) makes the socks for the Omni-Wool sold at Sam's Club. Nice socks, I bought three pair, but they're medium-heavy. As far as I can tell the quality is equal to the first Smartwool socks I purchased over 8 years ago.
I haven't tried Wigwam socks since the late '90s, when they were itchy and required liner socks. With Smartwools and the Omni-Wools I don't use or need liners. To me, liners, especially those made of synthetic fibers, detract from the natural wicking and lubrication (from lanolin) in the fibers of wool socks.

Luddite
10-15-2010, 20:51
Smartwools are suppose to be more durable now too.

Bags4266
10-15-2010, 20:55
When I was going through Harpers Ferry I had blown out two pair of socks. I bought two pair at the outfitter, Darn Tough, I cried paying $40. for 2 pair of socks. But I will admit they fit great and ride nice.

sheepdog
10-15-2010, 22:35
sam's club hiking socks you get 4 pair for the same price as one pair of smart wools. I've used both and my dogs can't tell the difference.

Sarcasm the elf
10-15-2010, 22:41

CITI and GE are cheaper than a pair of Wigwams or Smart wool socks right now...:D

As for the subject, I'd go with Wigwam or Darn Tough.

I like Smart Wool socks too, but have had some problems with the heels going threadbare faster than I would have expected.

Lone Wolf
10-15-2010, 22:44
Darn Tough Vermont (http://www.amazon.com/Darn-Tough-Merino-Micro-Cushion/dp/B000XFZRKU/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IUMEE38Y0R7H3&colid=1YSF5SLX8DPN0). I love 'em. :D

yup. best sock out there

Feral Bill
10-16-2010, 01:27
Costco Smartwool clones (dumbwools in my family) are a bargain, and work great.

Rick500
10-16-2010, 13:41
I've used Dahlgren (alpaca wool), Darn Tough, Injinji, and Lorpen (merino) socks.

They've all worked just fine. The most comfortable for me have been Darn Tough...the ones I have seem to have a wider toe than the others, which works well for me. The Lorpen socks feel like they're squeezing my toes a bit.

The Dahlgren and Injinji are also comfortable. I generally wear one pair and carry two pairs of socks, so I will usually have one pair each of Dahlgren, Injinji, and Darn Tough with me on long trips.

Tinker
10-16-2010, 21:52
Smartwools are suppose to be more durable now too.

Higher % of nylon?

I noticed that Darn Tough socks have a higher nylon content than most Smartwools.

tiptoe
10-16-2010, 21:55
I love Darn Tough. They're pricey, yes, but they fit my feet perfectly. Smart Wool slides around and gives me blisters. I'd advise buying one pair and seeing how you like it.

Tinker
10-16-2010, 21:56
I've hiked in DeFeet Woolie Bullies and loved them (medium wt. medium height).
http://www.defeet.com/prodline.php?line=Woolie%20Boolie&type=s

Dogwood
10-16-2010, 23:59
Without debating or addressing all the pros/cons of all the different socks that are available to possibly hike in I would get back to addressing the OP and limiting the choice between the two original options.

Being that the weather will probably be colder in late Nov on the AT, even in GA, I would opt for the REI Hiking socks because they will be warmer and also retain more warmth than the Wigwam socks should the hike entail getting wet feet.

Wigwam CoolMax hiking socks are 78 % CoolMax, 19 % Nylon, 3 % Spandex. IMO, although I don't wear these socks, I see them as more for warmer conditions where I would want very breathable socks. If you like the way these socks wick they would work for you, again I would think under somewhat warmer hiking conditions. Obviously, although I'm being quite picky and detailed about socks, I don't think opting for either of the OP's original sock choices are critical to the hike. Just go out and hike! BTW, if you are wondering what the heck is CoolMax, it's Wigwams fancy marketing term for polyester!, probably largely made from recycled plastic. CoolMax is a synthetic.

The REI Hiking socks, if they are the ones I think the OP is referring to, are 78 % merino wool, 20 % Nylon, and 2 % Lycra Spandex. They will be warmer! REI retails them for about $9/pr and has deals where you buy so many pairs(I think 2 pairs) and you get a pair free which reduces the price.

Personally, I most often hike in Smartwool Mini 1/4 length light and mid wt socks. I like the way they wick moisture away from my skin, are cushioned, retain their feel after repeated uses and washings, and don't accumulate the stink as fast as some other socks. Unfortunately, like many things in life, and certainly not in the hiking gear world, they don't last forever. I NEVER pay the full ridiculously expensive retail price for Smartwools! The 1/4 length Smartwool Hiking socks on my feet right now I distinctly remember paying $9/pr.

I love Darn Tough socks!, but not for most of my hikes! I want more cushioning. I'll use Darn Tough socks for short duration very UL hiking excursions, sandy desert hiking, hiking on soft established tread, like on pine needles like encountered on parts of the AT, and while running around town while at home. These socks are appropriately named! If you're seeking a VERY durable sock this is the one!

Chance09
10-18-2010, 12:16
Darn Tough Vermont socks ROCK! Kinda pricey, but in my experience they're worth it.

I second the Darn Tough Socks. They're about the same price as smartwool but the darn tough socks have a lifetime warranty on them. To exchange them just walk into any store that sells them hand them your holey pair and they'll let you pick out a new pair.

Mine usually lasted me around 2,000 miles a pair. I've hiked the AT and the PCT and havent had a single blister in my DT socks.

They have great customer service too.

Luddite
10-18-2010, 12:37
Higher % of nylon?

I noticed that Darn Tough socks have a higher nylon content than most Smartwools.

"WOW (Wool-on-Wool) technology puts more SmartWool fibers into every sock"

I think there is a higher % of Nylon now too, can't remember.

sbhikes
10-18-2010, 13:17
Get a pair of each and try them both. All backpacking trips should be gear testing trips in my opinion.

FWB
10-18-2010, 17:48
I was a big fan of the REI merino wool hiking socks UNTIL I picked up a pair of the Darn Tough Hike-Trek socks. They are fantastic - the most comfortable socks I've ever worn. Nice and thick but they never bunch up in my boots. I found them at Marshall's recently (Boston area) for under $10 a pair!

Rocket Jones
10-18-2010, 19:53
We were in Sam's Club this evening and I picked up a pack of the Omni-Wool hikers. 3 pair for $15. I'll give 'em a try on some day hikes in the next month or so.

Beware the box display, they have the men's size printed wrong. The sock label itself is correct.

Press
10-18-2010, 20:12
SmartWool.