PDA

View Full Version : What do I call these shoes?

Odd Man Out
10-15-2010, 23:51
I see lots of talk of trail runners for AT hikes. I have a pair of Merrell Moab Ventilators, which I really like - the fit me just perfectly. But I am not sure that these fit into the category of "trail runners". If not, what are they? They seem to be very popular, at least around west MI. But then, it is a local company.

aaronthebugbuffet
10-16-2010, 03:00
approach shoes maybe

Torch09
10-16-2010, 05:32
Does it really matter? If we spent less time classifying and more time hiking, the world would be a generally happier place.

... I also have the moab ventilators and love them.

hikerboy57
10-16-2010, 08:22
I would simply call them Merrill Moab Ventilators. or maybe Shirley.

Ender
10-16-2010, 08:58
How about hiking shoes?

v5planet
10-16-2010, 09:07
Not worth thinking about. If you're comfortable hiking in them, then hike in them.

aaronthebugbuffet
10-16-2010, 16:01
Shouldn't you guys be out hiking instead of responding to this this thread.

leaftye
10-16-2010, 18:24
Shouldn't you guys be out hiking instead of responding to this this thread.

Too much chafing from hiking yesterday. Being fat sucks.

Old Grouse
10-16-2010, 19:05
How about a serious answer to a straight question, guys? I'd say you might as well consider them to be trail runners since they're light and lowcut. I've worn them all summer but prefer something with a more protective sole. Come spring I'll be wearing something new on the trail and just wearing these around town.

By the way, I was very disappointed at the paltry footgear selection in the new REI that just opened in the city next door to my town. Any EMS has a greater selection.

Spiffy
10-16-2010, 19:12
How about a serious answer to a straight question, guys?

REI labels them as Cross-Trainers :confused:

http://www.rei.com/product/748515?preferredSku=7485150572&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-7485150572&mr:trackingCode=2D8C071B-81F9-DE11-BAE3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

Hope that helped.

leaftye
10-16-2010, 19:15
They're heavy, so I call them a lightweight low top hiking boot. Lightweight for boots.

Dogwood
10-16-2010, 21:10
Merrell Moab Ventilators are light hiking shoes. They really are not an approach shoe and they don't neatly fit into the boot category. Although they do come in a low cut version they also come in a mid cut version. They could be used for more activities than just hiking so some outfitters place them in the cross-training shoe category. I suppose some folks may even run in them, although I don't think hard core runners would typically use then for running either on trails or in town on pavement. I have seen them listed under trail-runners by some outfitters.

I think some confusion arises because shoe/hiking companies are blurring the lines with new models that can be used for multiple activities and some model shoes don't neatly fit into typical shoe categories - like the hiking shoe category. Another problem may be that some hikers have this either/or attitude about hiking shoes in that they see only two distinct choices when opting for hiking shoes, either a heavy high cut European styled boot traditionally made from thick leather requiring some break-in time but having excellent durability and protection or light wt trail runners. There are in between choices! IMO, the Merrel Moab Ventilators fit into that in between category.

IMO, the mid-cut Merrel Moab Ventilators can be an excellent choice for someone wanting more support, cushioning, durability, and protection than a flimsy trail runner but don't want the entire wt penalty of a heavy boot or don't have the need for the extra protection or support of a boot.

Tinker
10-16-2010, 21:20
I vote for "low top hiking shoes". Trail runners are generally designed for, ah, running, and don't have enough support for most folks unless they carry a very light load. I don't know how I get away with using them (I'm 210 lbs.). It must be because I'm light on my feet (coordinated) for my size and age, the fact that I carry light, and I use trekking poles.