PDA

View Full Version : Base Weight Definitions

Kerosene
09-04-2002, 18:48
Posters to this site have used a variety of methods to communicate the amount of weight they carry, such as base weight, wet weight, skin out, etc. Different people define some of these terms differently, also, such as Weasel's insistence that he takes the average of his consummables to calculate weight, not the max.

I'd like to see if members of this forum can agree to a consistent way of describing various types of weight to make it easier to compare and contrast. It's quite possible that one of the published luminaries has already done this, which may be a good starting (or even ending) point.

In thinking about this, it seems like there are the following categories that might be useful for different purposes:

- body weight
- clothed weight
- base pack weight
- consummables weight per day
- total pack weight with x days of consummables
- skin out weight (body + total pack)

I can think of merits in referring to any of these weights, and there may be subcategories, such as total weight of all clothing that might make sense.

Finally, I suggest that we rely on a standard postal scale that has been calibrated to a known amount of weight. I'm always astounded at how far off some of the quoted weights I've seen are, and those weren't even from the manufacturer!