PDA

View Full Version : Hunting season in Pennsylvania

horicon
10-16-2010, 20:50
Hunting season has started in Pennsylvania. Wear something bright.

Torch09
10-16-2010, 20:53
And make sure you are on good terms with God. Last time i was in PA during hunting season, i had a gun pointed at me and my hiking partner.

Tinker
10-16-2010, 21:23
I'm headed down that way tomorrow, and, yes, I'll be sporting LOTS of the obligatory blaze orange :D. Dusk and dawn make me a bit nervous, but a headlamp goes a long way to make things safer then.
Btw: I think it's antlerless (doe) season, and I'm not sure if it's only bow and arrow. It's only when the rifles come out that it gets hairy.

emerald
10-16-2010, 21:34
The prefix a- means not you silly person! Acorns are not corns.

Why would you want to call them oakcorns? If you insist upon it, at least call them oak-corns, but don't expect anyone to know what you mean.

emerald
10-16-2010, 21:38
http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=576240&mode=2 (http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=576240&mode=2)

harryfred
10-16-2010, 21:40
Your biggest danger is not being mistaken for game, but being in the back ground and not being seen when a hunter shoots at legitimate game. People laugh at all the orange I wear but that is because I hike in PA and MD all year long.

Tinker
10-16-2010, 21:42

Why would you want to call them oakcorns? If you insist upon it, at least call them oak-corns, but don't expect anyone to know what you mean.

Well, FINALLY! someone attempts an explanation :D.

10-K
10-16-2010, 21:45
Well, FINALLY! someone attempts an explanation :D.

Ohhhh... like atypical or amoral...

Learn something new every day!

bert304
10-17-2010, 08:34
it is only bad the week of Thanksgiving and the 2 weeks after Thanksgiving.

emerald
10-17-2010, 09:44
Some contend the greatest potential for mishaps occurs during spring gobbler season, a time when many hikers may not be aware hunters are afield.

emerald
10-17-2010, 09:51
Much information related to hunting and hiker safety is gathered in ATC's page Hunting and the A.T. (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805497/k.C545/Hunting_and_the_AT.htm) Hikers and hunters who have not read it before are likely to learn something new and be better informed about this important issue. Reviewing it annually isn't a bad idea either.

wnderer
10-17-2010, 10:19

And wrong is aright.:rolleyes:

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the word acorn (earlier akerne, and acharn) is derived from a Common Germanic word cognate with the word "acre," and related to corresponding words in other Germanic languages such as Gothic akran, German Eicher, etc., and which had the sense of "fruit of the unenclosed land." The word was applied to the most important forest produce, that of the oak. Chaucer spoke of "achornes of okes". By degrees, popular etymology connected the word both with "corn" and "oak-horn", and the spelling changed accordingly.

http://www.spiritus-temporis.com/acorn/etymology.html

emerald
10-17-2010, 10:47
And wrong is aright.:rolleyes:

Some Americans contend they have a right to be wrong. I assure you, I could tell you far more about acorns than you would want to know, but I hate it when people don't stay on-topic.

woodsy
10-17-2010, 12:55
, but I hate it when people don't stay on-topic.

Just saw a crow fly over, ivory billed albino at that !

Torch09
10-17-2010, 13:31
Just saw a crow fly over, ivory billed albino at that !

I'll see your crow and raise you a bald eagle i saw while kayaking yesterday.

emerald
10-17-2010, 15:19
It's so easy to get some people to post, but then it doesn't require much effort to post without making a useful contribution.

Torch09
10-17-2010, 15:50
It's so easy to get some people to post, but then it doesn't require much effort to post without making a useful contribution.

... says the person monopolizing the thread with talk of acorns and complaints of others getting off topic :rolleyes:

emerald
10-17-2010, 18:16
Last time I checked, registered users were still permitted to post whenever they choose and as often as they wish until informed otherwise by someone in a position of authority.

Maybe you could explain to those of us who have been posting here for years what it means to monopolize a thread since you recognize the concept?

If you wish to limit the amount of your posting, feel free, no one is likely to object, but it doesn't matter one way or the other especially since I have already posted the essential information.

I guess I need to make it crystal clear next time when I respond to one of woodsy's posts and someone butts in before I click on the post reply button.

While I'm at it, I didn't complain about off-topic posts on- or off-board. You really should work on your reading comprehension.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'd sooner see some real birds than read about real or imaginary birds others claim to have observed in remote locations.

Torch09
10-17-2010, 19:49
I hate it when people don't stay on-topic.

Reading comprehension?

Only half of your posts in this thread actually pertain to the OP. Generally, I don't mind when people stray off topic (as seen in my posts). It adds a much needed sense of humanity to a lifeless website. But what does bother me is the hypocrisy of negative comments about such posts from a user who is just as guilty as anyone.

If your intent was simply to post "the essential information," then you should have done so and just stopped there. Nobody is disputing the usefullnes of your info, but it seems you're not content with this and have branched out to the role of wanna-be junior moderator.

As far as 'butting in' before you could submit your reply to woodsy's post, there was nearly two hours between our posts. Maybe work on your time comprehension?

Finally, not that you care, but being raised as a bird lover, I am offended that you would insinuate that my eagle sighting was fiction.

Feel free to live your life as you like, just try not to inturrept mine.:welcome

horicon
10-17-2010, 21:12
I believe I am on good terms with God. Today was another good day on the AT in PA. No deer or large animals. Saw a lot of people and various sizes of rocks and bolders

Torch09
10-17-2010, 21:25
I believe I am on good terms with God. Today was another good day on the AT in PA. No deer or large animals. Saw a lot of people and various sizes of rocks and bolders

'Good day on the AT' is redundant:D

I envy you people who live so close to the trail.

horicon
10-17-2010, 21:28
I do not live near the trail in PA. Toke a couple of days off.