PDA

View Full Version : grizzlies

THEmapMAKER
10-16-2010, 21:57
I know grizzlies are not on the AT but has anyone ever encountered grizzlies in the wild and if you did what happened?

Bearpaw
10-16-2010, 22:02
A couple of grizzlie encounters.

One, it lay half in, half out of a stream, chowing down on a fish it caught. Never noticed me.

The other, two yearlings were on the far side of a river, lifting downed logs and rocks, probably looking for pikas or marmots. Again, too busy with chow time to worry about me.

Both very cool encounters.

trailangelbronco
10-17-2010, 02:12
I have been charged more than once, hollered at it, almost pooped my pants and they stopped short, turned and walked away. Both time's I thought I was dead and shook for a while afterwards.

fiddlehead
10-17-2010, 07:54
I've seen 4 of them in Glacier.
One scared me as it didn't know i was there.
I was supposed to let it know but i didn't (just hiked faster)
The rest of them ignored me.
I have some good video of one of them in my triple crown video "Really Livin"
I'm more scared of monkeys now though.

Feral Bill
10-17-2010, 14:26
I saw them often at Denali NP, as close as 50 feet away (Mom with triplets, all blond). They uniformly ignored me.

One woman, nine months pregnant, was charged as Bronco describes. She stood her ground and the beast ambled off. I'm glad that wasn't me.

FB

garlic08
10-18-2010, 22:43
On my CDT hike I saw two grizz in Glacier and four in the Bob Marshall, none in Yellowstone. They always did what they're supposed to do and either ran away or ignored me. One ran about three steps, turned around and huffed a little and scared me enough to pull the safety off my pepper spray. On my PNT hike through prime grizz habitat, I never saw one. That was wild country and I think they all ran away long before I saw any.