PDA

View Full Version : a mid-august/early september sobo start -- too late??

lilygrrrl1
12-08-2004, 12:30
hey all...

i've been wishing, hoping, and planning on a AT thru for 2007. the problem i'm facing is that my schooling ends in august -- which would leave me a sobo start date in mid-august/early september! is this too late of a start??

i searched this site...and was not able to find any info on anyone starting a sobo this late. any and all suggestions or comments are welcome.

krinkles
tropical parma, OH

Bloodroot
12-08-2004, 12:33
Depends on how you like cold-weather? Depending on how fast you are, you'll be hitting the Smokies at a pretty cold time.

lilygrrrl1
12-08-2004, 13:07
if given a choice... i prefer cooler temps over warmer temps. i'm in good physical condition...have some backpacking experience in vermont and virginia...and -- baring no injuries -- usually make decent daily mileage.

what kind of weather would i be facining the smokies?? like crampon wearin' weather?? :-?

thanks for your input and suggestions on prepartation!
krinkles

orangebug
12-08-2004, 13:12
Starting in August, suppose hitting Smokies in December or January.

You could get just about anything from huge snows, ice storms, wind, rain and fair weather. You would have many opportunities to know if you were in trouble earlier on the Humps, Roan and Max Patch, at the latest. You would get to be the last SOBO, I'd expect, and have a great deal of solitude.

It would definitely be an interesting hike to plan and execute.

Dances with Mice
12-08-2004, 14:05
[QUOTE=lilygrrrl1]...krinkles[QUOTE]

Formerly known as "Krinkle Bag"?

Serious question. I met a hiker this spring with that trailname.

The Solemates
12-08-2004, 15:35
You will have no problem starting Aug/Sept. Some cold temps in Dec in the Smokies and GA, but typically the harsher winter storms come mid-Jan to mid-Feb. Happy hiking.

Brittany
12-08-2004, 16:48
hey, i just wanted to say that i am glad to hear that somebody has thought about starting in august/september hiking SOBO. My boyfriend and I are planning to start August 15, 2005 hiking SOBO so i will keep in touch with you and let you know how it all pans out. i am really really excited though! I have a six month break from nursing school so the timing is perfect. hopefully we will be able to finish. :sun

Spirit Walker
12-08-2004, 17:49
We finished the AT on September 23 and met several southbounders in the last two weeks of our hike. They probably started the first week of September. I have no idea which of them finished, but some probably did. We also have met southbounders at the Ruck in PA at the end of January - they started at the end of September or early October. If you are comfortable with cold weather and very long nights (remember it gets dark at 5:00) it is quite possible to do a winter southbound hike. The biggest question is what kind of weather you'll have in the Whites, by the end of October it can be cold, but you aren't likely to have much snow, and after that you drop considerably in elevation.

lilygrrrl1
12-10-2004, 02:52
hi all.

thanks for replying. i've really been worked up about the possiblity that i wouldn't be able to hike after graduate school. you're posts have renewed my dream of completing this hiking goal!!

i'll be really interested in reading your sobo posts brittany! ((i'm in graduate nursing school -- and will surely need a break,too.))

thanks,
krinkles

tlbj6142
12-10-2004, 10:02
When I was in ME the 1st week in September I passed several SOBO hikers. Of course I have no idea how they did in the south.