PDA

View Full Version : Pictures from Standing Indian, Oct. 8-10

Philetus
10-17-2010, 14:19
I don't post a lot of pictures on here (I have trouble enough trying to get them on Facebook and Flickr), but I got some good ones a few weeks ago on the Standing Indian Loop, in southern N.C., with Two Speed, Generole and a group of kids from Georgia State University.

As such, here's a link to the open album on FB:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=78040&id=1627684670

We started at the Standing Indian Campground and took the Kimsey Creek Trail up to Deep Gap, and then up to the top of Standing Indian. Second day was Standing Indian to Big Spring Shelter, including dinner on top of Albert. Sunday was a short trip down to Glassmine, and then Long Branch Trail back to the campsite. Hope y'all enjoy.

-- Chopper

springerfever
10-17-2010, 14:30
Excellent shots..this is one of my favorite areas. Looks like the leaves have not peaked yet; maybe I can get up there in the next week or two.

I see someone hiking on the road. I guess there was a 1% threat of violent weather and he took the alternate route and avoided the climb over Albert. Just kidding !!

Was there good water along the way ?

Philetus
10-17-2010, 14:35
There was water just about every place we needed it, but I wouldn't call it good water. At Big Spring, you have to turn up the creek and walk a ways to get to big enough spots to dip.

And the road was my call. It was my first long day since May and we were getting close to the end of the day. I didn't know how my knees would handle the rock scramble. Gene forgot to mention the steps to get to the top of Albert, however. I would probably would have been better off with the rocks. :sun

brian2o0o
10-19-2010, 05:45
Nice pics! I was there this past weekend(15th and 16th) and did a overnighter from Albert to Wayah. The leaves had a little more color, but I think the peak will probably be this coming weekend.