PDA

View Full Version : Beware of goat!

KnittingMelissa
10-17-2010, 16:18
http://www.azdailysun.com/news/national/article_9a530bb0-a6e9-51af-8118-6ab57e4916a5.html

An experienced Washington state hiker was killed by a goat while hiking this weekend.

So, when you see a goat, remember: they don't like you. And, apparently, they can enforce this deadly dislike! :eek:

Namaste
10-17-2010, 16:30
Yikes! The goat is suspected to have been the cause of this poor hiker's death. I would be interested in reading what the pathologist finds after working on this dead animal. Could it have been rabid? The only time I ever saw goats in the wild was hiking in the Nepal Himalayas.....totally harmless.

bus
10-17-2010, 19:15
I bet it wasn't a goat, probably just some kid...

Mrs Baggins
10-17-2010, 19:28
Wait, don't tell me....let me guess...they're more afraid of us than we are of them....riiiiiiight.

Danielsen
10-17-2010, 19:55
White-Tailed deer kill more people in the US each year than any other wild animal (not counting car collisions). A big old angry goat, particularly in an area with a high fall risk, has just as much potential to kill someone as your typical deer, I imagine. So it's really not that implausible.

Of course, it's always easier to just blame things on "some kid." Yeesh. :o

Del Q
10-17-2010, 20:39
Unless goats have started smoking crack, I would have to believe that this was just "wrong place-wrong time" situation, hiker comes around a turn, steep area with cliffs, surprises the goat, maybe a territorial thing going into winter, hiker goes down the cliff.

Skidsteer
10-17-2010, 20:48
The rut has begun.

Scooby99
10-17-2010, 21:12
How exactly did they find the right goat? Some kind of USFS CSI, I see a new TV show coming.

rhjanes
10-18-2010, 09:52
How exactly did they find the right goat? Some kind of USFS CSI, I see a new TV show coming.an off-duty ranger was there. He focused on life-saving and shooing the animal away. It has been an agressive animal and was "tracked" because of it's behavior. It had blood on it.

the goat
10-18-2010, 10:03
be afraid, be very afraid.

Namaste
10-18-2010, 10:51
Are goats generally more dangerous than those wild boars? I don't think I ever read anything about wild boars killing any hikers.

tdoczi
10-18-2010, 11:04
Are goats generally more dangerous than those wild boars? I don't think I ever read anything about wild boars killing any hikers.

dont know about wild boars because i've never encountered them but ive hiked in very close proximity to dozens if not hundreds of mountain goats and the idea of one attacking is so far fetched i almost dont believe it. i will say they basically arent afraid of anything and will get insanely close to you as if you arent even there. and i dont mean in an acclimated, bad looking for food or something sort of way.

jersey joe
10-18-2010, 11:57
wow, and all this time I thought I had an irrational fear of goats. Ever since I ran into one standing on the Appalachian Trail right before Pearisburg and wasted a half hour walking around it.

the goat
10-18-2010, 12:15
wow, and all this time I thought I had an irrational fear of goats. Ever since I ran into one standing on the Appalachian Trail right before Pearisburg and wasted a half hour walking around it.

nah, those guys are nice.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/3/2/9/GoatAndGoat.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showimage.php?i=12675&original=1&c=member&imageuser=6329)

jersey joe
10-18-2010, 12:20
Thanks a lot...now i'm back to thinking it is an irriational fear...

Buzz_Lightfoot
10-18-2010, 12:48
It all started because someone fed the goat. The hiker ws wearing the clothes he ate breakfast in. Goat-proof food containers and goat boxes will be required next season.:-?

Tenderheart
10-18-2010, 15:04
I was viciously attacked by three goats on Sinking Creek Mountain in 2000. They nearly licked me to death.

litefoot 2000

Shutterbug
10-18-2010, 15:08
It all started because someone fed the goat. The hiker ws wearing the clothes he ate breakfast in. Goat-proof food containers and goat boxes will be required next season.:-?

Not necessarily, the goats in the Olympic Mountains have learned that hikers are sweaty. It is not uncommon at all for goats to attempt to lick hikers for the salt.

I have never encountered one that wouldn't back off if I threatended to hit it with my hiking pole.

Namaste
10-18-2010, 15:22
the goat, beautiful picture. I love goats.

Shutterbug
10-18-2010, 15:56
http://www.azdailysun.com/news/national/article_9a530bb0-a6e9-51af-8118-6ab57e4916a5.html

An experienced Washington state hiker was killed by a goat while hiking this weekend.

So, when you see a goat, remember: they don't like you. And, apparently, they can enforce this deadly dislike! :eek:

The same kind of goats are common in Goat Rocks Wilderness, but the goats almost never approach hikers. Why? There is a goat hunting season in the Goat Rocks Wilderness.

The Weasel
10-18-2010, 16:24
The goat has been recognized before as hostile to humans, and was given "aversion therapy" in recent months by Rangers who pelted it with rocks and beanbags shot at it. This may have engendered just a little bit of anger by Brother Goat at the 'two legged goat' species, reminscent of those who think that throwing rocks at bears will 'teach them a lesson.' It does: As Sam Elliot famously told The Dude, "Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you." But why encourage it?

TW

Old Hiker
10-19-2010, 12:12
the goat, beautiful picture. I love goats.

BBQ cabrito - now that's good eatin'!