PDA

View Full Version : Journal

wingnutexpress
10-17-2010, 19:19
What is the best way for updating journal entries on trailjournals.com? Is it easier to use "hard copy" entries and mail them and have someone transcribe the information or use "Pocketmail" or some other application? And what are some suggestions? :confused:

BrianLe
10-17-2010, 22:05
What's worked well for me is to use my smartphone, a bluetooth folding keyboard, and postholer.com (http://www.postholer.com) rather than trailjournals. There are certainly a lot of options, however, to include audio recordings phoned in (I forget the site ...).

Praha4
10-20-2010, 22:07
I used Trailjournals this past spring. I did not have a smart phone, which some other hikers used to update trailjournals from the trail. I chose to update trailjournals in the trail towns on resupply trips, at motels, hostels, or public libraries.

gopher
01-13-2011, 09:17
Pocketmail has gone away and is no longer an option.

Spokes
01-13-2011, 09:36
I had a transcriber and it worked out well. I bought a bunch of cheap memory cards on eBay then mailed them home when full for posting. Glad I didn't have to waste battery life.

The audio journal was a big hit too. Check out trailphone.net (http://trailphone.net/)

wornoutboots
01-13-2011, 10:08
I used Trailjournals this past spring. I did not have a smart phone, which some other hikers used to update trailjournals from the trail. I chose to update trailjournals in the trail towns on resupply trips, at motels, hostels, or public libraries.

I section hike & hand write my journal entries when get the feeling to write, such as a beautiful rock outcropping, a magical section of forest or an amazing streamside & so on. I hardly ever write at the shelters because I often hike in at dusk because I love to hike as the day goes to bed & the night creature rise. When I arrive at the shelter I have fun conversing with other hikers + have my chores to do before bedding down. Then I upload the journal laters in town. IMHO having to update a journal for some can become more of a burden & take waway for that solitude many of us are seeking. I do carry a BB if I ever wanted to update on trial.

SawnieRobertson
01-13-2011, 20:48
Hi, Wingnut. Whatever you choose to do, I'm sure it will be fine. I learned in '99 that, if I waited to write my entries when I got to town, it was too time consuming. This time I plan to send entries and accompaning photos to my transcriber by Blackberry or a Droid.
You might look at how Ken Anderson and his wife did this in 2007 (8?). She was at home transcribing. It was very well done. I've been screwed over by Verizon more than once, so I am still looking for options, but that seems to be the best route. I know that you are going to have a great hike. See you on the trail.--Kinnickinic