PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight chair idea - anybody tried this yet?

pjkirk
10-17-2010, 23:46
Has anybody tried making one of these:
https://www.adventuremoto.com.au/images/packseat_prod_black.gif

with bundled carbon fiber arrow shafts for legs?

I'm thinking 4 arrow shafts per leg, a strip of webbing going around the entire bottom to prevent the legs from splaying out, silnylon seat w/ webbing crossed underneath and bits of much heavier material at the corners/edges. Not sure about the joint in the middle, but it seems like if the top and bottom are strong enough, you could use resin and a strap of webbing there also.

Short calculations put the weight of the arrow shafts at between 4oz (12 x 20" x 7.3 grains/inch) to 6.5oz (w/ 12 grain shafts). Seems like the fabric and webbing could be done for about 6oz or so. Add a couple more ounces for various reinforcement to bundle the legs together (resin/strapping). So that should be ~1lb at most w/ a pretty good weight capacity and height.

I'm not sure what could be done (or would be needed) where the shafts hit the ground though. One or two 3" pieces of 1.5" webbing glued across the base w/ resin sounds reasonably strong though, and wouldn't weigh much.

Sound feasible? Strong enough? (I've never worked w/ the arrow shafts before...just played w/a couple)

Helios
10-18-2010, 02:32
What's wrong with the good ol' log to sit on? Don't have to carry it. Plenty available! - just sayin' is all....

johnnybgood
10-18-2010, 06:02
Sorry , like I don't really see the need for this. If your Sherpa is carrying' it ...well I guess your golden then.

C Seeker
10-18-2010, 07:26
I've used one like that and it isn't comftable at all. My seat when on the trail is but on ground and back leaning on backpack. I've also seen people make a chair using there sleeping bag, a nice stick, rope, and a tree. Others by the hammock chairs, and some just use there hammock.

mister krabs
10-18-2010, 08:43
I like these kind of stools. I think feet would be good at the bottom like on the chair in the pic. It would cup the arrow shafts and bedded in resin, would add significant support to the bottom. You could do lighter with the fabric than the oxford cloth that is typically used for this. I bet dyneema-x would be good for this. zip ties would help you make a quick fab up. I bet you could use 4 thick zip ties for the joint, one around each leg and 1 for the joint itself. You could set the tops up with smooth resin caps as well. Set the shaft bundles in wax paper in small cups like pvc endcaps, fill with resin, then pull the caps off and sand the remaining nub smooth to put in the cloth pocket.

You're spending a good bit of time and money to shave not many ounces, but hey, sounds like fun!

Toolshed
10-18-2010, 11:21
Sit on one of those for 5 minutes. Quickest way to put your boys to sleep...:eek:

Erin
10-18-2010, 21:56
My friend pulled one out on a kayak trip. Pretty cool. While I might use one on a river kayak trip (his rode on top of the kayak) I am not carrying it to pack. Too much weight for me but I can't speak for anyone else. I have heard it is a nice piece of equipment.

Freedom Walker
10-18-2010, 22:16
My camp stool which weighs about a pound was the one of the first things to go to lighten my pack on a long distance hike. Don't most shelters on the AT have benches anyway. However I may take it on a shorter weekend hike when weight won't be such an issue.