PDA

View Full Version : what size pack to buy

virgil
10-18-2010, 19:33
I'm going on the AT by myself in GA/NC for 3-weeks next Spring. Figuring 1-week of food at a time, pack weight #50, what size pack (approx. cu. in. capacity) should buy? I'd be glad to hear brand/model recomendations, but I mainly want to figure out what size pack will be large enough.

topshelf
10-18-2010, 20:09
take everything you'd pack and go to an outfitter and put it all into different packs, once you get a size range, look for a brand you'd like to go with and research research research then pick one.

bigcranky
10-18-2010, 20:34
60 or 70 liters. Something with a good solid frame -- 50 pounds will overwhelm a light pack. Something like an Aether 70 or one of the more robust Gregory packs.

leaftye
10-18-2010, 21:02
7000 cubic inches should do it, especially if there are places where you can tie things to the outside. Or you can figure out how much space your stuff takes and buy appropriately.

BitBucket
10-18-2010, 21:35
No need to carry 7 days of food thru GA... You can refill every 3-4 days easy....

You can send a drop box to the Hiker Hostel and/or Mountain Crossings and save carrying that extra 5-10 pounds of weight out of Springer...that will let you go to a smaller pack...

Check out the Gregory Z-55 or Z-65....you won't need anything any bigger than one of those...

I've carried 50 up Blood Mountain before and it's not something I'll ever want to do again...

You should easily be able to hike GA/NC and carry no more than 30-35 pounds including food and water.

4eyedbuzzard
10-18-2010, 21:43
No need to carry 7 days of food thru GA... You can refill every 3-4 days easy....

You can send a drop box to the Hiker Hostel and/or Mountain Crossings and save carrying that extra 5-10 pounds of weight out of Springer...that will let you go to a smaller pack...

Check out the Gregory Z-55 or Z-65....you won't need anything any bigger than one of those...

I've carried 50 up Blood Mountain before and it's not something I'll ever want to do again...

You should easily be able to hike GA/NC and carry no more than 30-35 pounds including food and water.

I just carried a dozen 50 lbs bags of Quikcrete into the garage earlier and I second that notion.

I'd get a smaller pack just to force myself into carrying less.

That all said, sorry for the opinions on how much you want to carry - it's your legs and lungs. If I was going to carry 50 lbs up and down improved trails like the AT I'd stay away from internal frame packs completely and get a big external like a Kelty Tioga http://www.kelty.com/c-12-external-frame.aspx You just can't beat an externals suspension and load carrying abilities when packing heavy gear.

Ox97GaMe
10-18-2010, 22:53
For the 3 weeks, you are looking at hiking from Springer to maybe Newfound Gap (200 miles). There are places to resupply every 3-4 days, as was mentioned before.

I have a 3200 that I use. It is a Lowe Alpine and has the strps on back and side where I can strap my tent. Since it is usually the only thing that gets wet, I like it being on the outside where it can drip dry, if the weather permits.

I started my thru hike in 97 with a 6500. WAYYY too big. What I found was that you will likely find things to fill the available space, which means more weight.

50 pounds isnt too bad, but you can probably get it under 40 regularly if you plan on stopping for supplies more often. Just be diigent about getting in and out of town quickly if that is your desire. Then shower every other town stop and make it an overnight.

Forever North
10-18-2010, 23:44
take everything you'd pack and go to an outfitter and put it all into different packs, once you get a size range, look for a brand you'd like to go with and research research research then pick one.

Redeye said it well. Research, research, research. Only you know whats going into your pack and what your going to like to be riding on your back. I myself am a fan of a heavy pack because I like to bring my comforts with me; like coffee with cream and sugar in the morrnings along with my other gear that I bring. I have been buying Kelty packs for years now and they have served me well in the pass. They are inexpensive packs and will get the job done. However, most of their bigger packs run around 5 pounds. I just bought a Kelty Raincloud 5600 at Sunny Sports.com for 127.00 dollars. There are other places where the Raincloud 5600 will cost up to 200.00 dollars.

As Redeye said before: Research, research, research. And do this with all of your gear. Who knows you may just turn out to be a fan of the Go-lite gear.

Open trails to you, have fun and be safe

virgil
10-18-2010, 23:52
I've possibly just moved down from 6500 cu. in. to 4000 cu. in. You're all telling me I need to plan a little smarter (and lighter). Thanks all, for the advise.

4eyedbuzzard
10-19-2010, 00:31
I've possibly just moved down from 6500 cu. in. to 4000 cu. in. You're all telling me I need to plan a little smarter (and lighter). Thanks all, for the advise.

65 liters (@4000 in^2) should be plenty of volume with today's modern gear. Depends upon what you're packing. Even gear relatively heavy by today's standards, say a 3 lb sleeping bag, 1.5 lb pad, 4 lb tent, 4 lb pack is 12.5 lbs for "big four" base weight. Add 2 lbs for stove / cookware, 1 lb fuel, 5 lbs clothes, and 5 lbs worth of camera, phone, first aid, water bottles/bladders, filter, etc and you are at roughly 25 lbs without food and water. Food at 1.5 lbs day for 5 days + 2 liters water at 4 lbs = 36.5 lbs. Again, it depends upon what you are considering carrying, how much effort you're willing to spend to carry "luxury items", and to some degree how much you can justify the cost of some of the high performance lightweight gear now available.

Post a proposed gear list here on WB, put on your flak jacket, expect some craziness in the replies from some of the hyperlight hikers, and see what everyone here has to say. You'll definitely pick up a lot of opinions, but you'll also probably more closely examine the gear choices you make as well.

skinewmexico
10-19-2010, 00:38
ULA Circuit.

burntoutphilosopher
10-23-2010, 21:37
IF you want t ocarry 50 lbs of gear, my osprey eather 85 is awesome for survival type camping.

but for hiking, really consider loosing some pack weight. it KILLED me on the pct this spring.

trail hiking is nothing like traditional bush camping.